feathered or not feathered???

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Blakey, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Blakey

Blakey New Member

should i be using feathered shuttlecocks? or not? or is it just personal preference? and could you guys recomend me a good set to buy that are very expensive? no more than £12 for 10 i suppose.

2. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    have u ever played with feather or not? if ur playing recreational, i say, play with nylon.

3. Blakey

Blakey New Member

never used feather before, but after 3hours of playing today i found that the nylon ones get wrecked too quickly and have dodgy flight. i play on hard courts... any recomendations on which feather ones to get as I feel these are the type i should be playing with.

4. Jay Scott

Jay Scott Regular Member

Student
    Hi Blakey,
    You will find that a nylon shuttle will last much longer than a feather shuttle, however, as you said, their flight can be effected quite quickly. However as you said, it's all down to personal preference.
    If you would like a much better flight, and in my opinion, a much better game, but don't mind replacing feather shuttles pretty often (depending on how well you hit the shuttle and how hard you hit the shuttle, you could be replacing shuttles between 1 rally to, in some cases, 2 games.) you should buy some feathers.
    If you would rather a shuttle last much longer, but sacrifice the quality of flight and feel, you should buy nylon shuttles.

Here are what I would consider the best comprimise for Flight, Feel, Durability and Price for both feathers and plastics (In my opinion from past experiences.)
    Feathers (For UK, 78 Speed is recommended):
    http://www.centralsports.co.uk/shop.php?page=detail&product=1514
    Nylons:
    http://www.centralsports.co.uk/shop.php?page=detail&product=5775

Hope this is of some help :)
    Jay

5. Snowy21

Snowy21 Regular Member

I like feather ones way more, but since I play casually I stick with my nylon ones because I'd rather not be purchasing more all the time.

6. eizmed

eizmed Regular Member

Doctor
    Although feather shuttles are more expensive, you'll find that almost all badminton enthusiast will go for feather and probably all decent badminton competitions will use feather, simply coz its better.

Most coaches will also rather use old / de-feathered / wobbly shuttles rather than nylon.

Personally, I only used nylon for a short time as a beginner 15 years ago and have not tried the "newer" nylon shuttles, so i don't know whether they are any good.

However, if you have just as much fun with nylon... why not? :)

7. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

To use feathers or not depends on how much money you have. If you have lots, then be like the professionals and go for feathers. Even the best of feathers require frequent changing. Also feathers' performance and flight characteristic change quickly between being brand new to being broken in a mater of few points. If expending a couple of dozens of feathers per session isn't expensive then by all means go for them.

The most common nylon shuttle in recreational play I found in variaous places is the Yonex Mavis 300 with a blue speed band. Each of these costs less than 50 pence and lasts a few weeks.

During the course of a week, I play both feather and nylons. I find both are perfectly playable.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u should get some decent nylon shuttles. Did u found your nylons from the garbage bin? No way nylons get wrecked faster than feathered on comparable level.

9. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Agreed.

As an example I usually only have to use 1 nylon shuttle for a session of two matches (3x15 counting) . Against the very same opponent/trainingpartner the usual expendiure of feathers (AS 20/30) will be about 2-3 shuttles/game = min 8 max 18 shuttles depending on how many games played.

Now a can (6 shuttles) of Mavis 370 is 150 SEK While a can (12 shuttles) of AS20 cost the same....So if I play 6 session with nylons it'll cost me 150 SEK. But when using feathers it'll be min 600 SEK - max 1350 SEK.

Of course the price will vary depending on where you live. But for me it cost at least 4 times more (best case) and in worst case 9 times more to play with feathers.

Not exact but pretty close exchange rates:
    1 EUR = 9.5 SEK
    1 GBP = 13.7 SEK
    1 USD = 7.6 SEK

/mats