strategy for a short serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by tneiba, Mar 17, 2006.

1. tneiba

tneiba Regular Member

I'm a beginning badminton player and I have this opponent who serves short. When this happens, i try to hit it farther back but since i don't really have that much power, it ends up in the middle area. So that allows my opponent to hit it farther back and I end up not getting to hit it far enough and so i end up losing. So please help me to get a strategy to counter this.

2. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    train your forearm and wrist to be stronger, so you can send it way back on their court, or counter their short serve with a drop/net play, theres a chance they would lift.

3. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Hi tneiba,

To offer a strategy to counter one shot (ie/ short serve) when it appears you are missing a large part of the fundamentals will be a waste of your time...

(...if you cannot lift a shuttle on a short serve to the back court, something is fundamentally wrong).

Getting some basic lessons will get you on the right footing.

Cheers!

4. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    You need pushing power

Your stroke doesn't reach the back court because probably you're just "hitting" the shuttle instead of "push-hitting" it. You need to not quit on your shot but to extend your racket/arm toward the other court during the shot.

More on this in our book "Advanced Badminton Techniques" available at http://instructoons.com/book/

5. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    If he/she is hitting short, you could do a push as recommended by the others. Except instead of pushing to the rear court, you can push to the mid-court on the other side of the court. So if he's serving left, push right to the line and if he's serving right, push left to the line.

6. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    wow i usually find people who lift short serves have problems keeping the bird in, not having problems getting it far enough. maybe its just me :p anywayz, work on your lifts. have someone practice short serve with you. practice on different variations of response for the shot and consistancy. goodluck