String Tension???

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by BARR_J, Mar 18, 2006.

1. BARR_J

BARR_J Regular Member

What do the string tensions do:confused: :eek:k is the higher the string tension going to give you better clears and what not and stringing at a lower tension will give you better drop shots,PLZ correct me if im wrong because im getting a Yonex Armortec 800DF and i want to have a better clear shot so wut would you recommend i string it at????

-BARR

2. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!
    I would love to give you a easy answer but there is not one.

Experiment with different strings and tensions......if you have trouble clearing now then going to a higher tension is unlikely to help.

How long have you been playing? This is very important.

3. BARR_J

BARR_J Regular Member

i have been playing for a few years and my y mp28(control) was not working b/c it was control and in singles when the oppenent would serve long,and i would clear it bak,it would only make it halfway/second backline.

4. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

The Mp28's that i used were not the 'control' I don't think that was sold in Australia. I had the normal one, Orange color.....which was the same as the mp27---->discontinued but renamed mp28 with the new orange color.

The Mp28 is not a power racket......it is the most balanced Mp racket in the series, giving you a little bit of everything but not dominating in any particular area. After a while it felt too flexible for me and found stiffer rackets felt better------>Nano 8000. However i still generate more power from my mp28's than the Nano8k........but I have better accuracy,shot placement and control with the ns8k.

Clearing to hit inbetween the two back lines everytime takes practice.

Do you perform what is known as a 'scissor kick' when you clear?

This scissor kick can generate more power in your clear/overhead strokes.
    If you do not use this, I reccomend you learn how to. It will provide you with more power and less effort from your arms.....and you will conserve energy.

5. BARR_J

BARR_J Regular Member

o really,could you briefly explain to me what a scissor kick is?I am 14 years old going to b 15,i practice 3 times a week,would i be able to catch on quickly you think.

6. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Scissor kick: With your racket foot to the back and non-racket foot to the front as you swing for a overhead shot your front foot comes back and the right foot is kicked forward............it is a bit like a 'skipping' action.

Whilst performing this action your whole body and hip rotates and this rotation with your swing will give you extra power.

Hard for me to explain, I am going to do a search now and find a demo of this move with frame by frame pics........this will be easier for you to see working and easier for you to mimic what you see..........but better still find someone who plays at a good level at your club and ask for a lesson in doing this.

I will repost a link if I can find an online explaination with pictures.

7. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

This is a thread that explains the scissor kick/jump.

There is a guy in this thread 'Gollum" he is a coach.

The thread is here : http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=313089

There is a few people here that explain it.......maybe better than i can.

Asking gollum he may be able to give you links or pics to visually show you how it is done.

8. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

This is Gollums explaination which i find the easiest and best to follow:

Yes, different jumps are often all called scissor jumps/kicks :(

In this case, the scissor kick is a method of achieving rapid recovery after the stroke (say, a smash). It works like this:
    • You move backwards with your right (racket) foot behind, and your shoulders turned almost perpendicular to the net
    • Before the smash, you jump upwards (and often backwards too) to get your feet off the ground
    • As you smash, you switch your legs around in the air so that the left foot is behind and the right foot in front. So both your legs and your shoulders turn -- the whole body
    • You land on your left foot first, which stops your backwards momentum and allows you to push forwards. Your right foot lands momentarily after the left.
    An added benefit of this scissor jump is that you gain extra body rotation, generating more power.

9. BARR_J

BARR_J Regular Member

o ok, thanx alot for that tip, but im left handed,so dus that mean my left foot is behind and my right foot(non-racket) is in front.

10. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Thats right. For

11. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Thats right. For left handers it is racket foot being your left back. And right foot forward.