The day I was whacked in the face...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by madman, Mar 19, 2006.

1. madman

madman Regular Member

I happenned yesterday in our regular Sunday afternoon session. It was a doubles game and I was in front when there was a weak return of the shuttlecock somewhere in the middle court. My partner was going for the kill. So was I. I took 2 step back, my head was tilted backwards and my eyes were focussing on the shuttlecock and I was about to swing when I suddenly felt a ton of brick hitting my face. Spefically, it was the nose and mouth region. I just collapse on the floor and clutching my nose and mouth. Luckily, I was hit my my partner's sweet spot and not the frame. Otherwise, I would have cracked my lips and broke my nose. Nevertheless, it took me about 5 minutes to recover from the daze. Apparently, my partner did not realize I was going for the kill too when he lunged forward. He was on the left-behind my back and he swung his racket using his wrist. I have never heard anyone who got hit this way - right smacked in the face like I was the shuttlecock.........Sree, if you are reading this, I forgive you, man. You meant no malicious intent, right?............:(

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Great to hear that you survived the ordeal. This is no joking matter. Imagine if the frame hit your eyes.. my gosh.

3. madman

madman Regular Member

I thank God I did not suffer much apart from swollen nose and lips. There was no blood, just bruises. I am just wondering is I am the only one in this forum who had this experience of being whacked in the face. I got hit many times on the arm and hand, but in the face? I think I am holding the world record already........

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    You got hit many times already? Maybe you should review your playing style, or have a word with your partner(s).

-dave

5. madman

madman Regular Member

If a picture can paint a thousand words, imagine what a photo can do.......

Here is how it happened........

The original photo is taken from a post by andymcg vbmenu_register("postmenu_327373", true);

Attached Files:

6. madman

madman Regular Member

Thanks Dave for the advice. We are a bunch of "prosmiscous" casual badminton players - changing partners all the time. So, everytime I got hit by someone, I just grimace and accept it as part of the game. With one partner, he may just let you take the shot in a 50-50 scenario. With others, they would just go for it, even if you shouted "let" (let me take this). Coincidentally, last Thu, in another game, there was a similar weak returned shot, I was in front and the shuttlecock was high and just behind my left back. I let my partner take it but he thought I was going to take it. So no one took it and we lost the game. :crying:

7. mandm

mandm Regular Member

i have been told that i'm too noisey when i'm playing, reason cos i'm always shouting yours or mine, even when i call mine, i receive different reactions from my partners, (we play with diferent partners refualrly). Some felt that it was their's while some just still go for their shot despite me shouting 'mine'. Fortunately so far i have managed to avoid collusions, broken reackets..

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    It's the front player's perogative to take the shot since he can't possible spot his partner's position. However, it's also his responsibility to judge whether he could go for it or not. The front guy can't simply back up all the time to take a shot since the act of backing up meant the shuttle has passed his area of responsibility.

Use your shoulder as a marker. Take only shots in front of you, let your partner go for it if the shuttle is gonna pass your shoulder... even by a little bit. Also don't stand too close to the net, move abit further upcourt when the lift is high and easy for your partner to get. That way, it'll be easier for you to intercept shots and any juicy weak returns will be easy netkills.

The worst kind of players are doubles players who play singles style. They go for every shot and is oblivious to their partners, thus to everybody's detriment and safety.

BTW, you're playing doubles... communication is key in all partnership. Unless both players are telepathic, chances are, you have to talk to one another about your intentions:rolleyes:. Don't let anybody else tell you differ!

9. madman

madman Regular Member

Very good advice, Cappy. Thanks. Indeed, we did a port-mortem on what actually happened. We concluded that it was a 50-50 shot and we were just 2 very eager players. As you said, the return was just too juicy not to have it for yourself. It was a weak return flying by, just over my perimeter of coverage, which 1 would normally take 1-2 step back to kill it off. My partner, apparently thought that was his to savour, after working so hard a few shots earlier to get a weak return.........in his mind that was to be a glorious end to the long rally............After it happened, our opponents had a walkover with the score at 13-12 to their favour. We usually play doubles with only one 15 point game each time as we have about 20-25 players for 3 hours on 3 courts. This will reduce waiting time and enable us to play more with many different partners and opponents. It's always fun playing with this group, even if I have to endure the countless "beatings"......

10. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    I don't mean to be crude or anything, but does this warrant a BOOM!!! Headshot!?

But seriously dude, rest up and recover!!

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Er... it's nowhere near 50-50 shot:(. If you have to back up from the front, then it's not yours in the first place. Best to let the back player take it since the shuttle is in front of him afterall. In that case, you'll step aside and rotate to the back while he smash and follow in.

Trust me, coordination will destroy your opponents faster and makes it more fun to play,

#11 cappy75, Mar 20, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  12. madman

madman Regular Member

Good advice again Cappy. Will change my style of play to avoid future injuries. I used to shout "mine" in a situation where I felt it was really mine, but when you are dead tired, you would be gasping for air instead of shouting "mine". In that incident, none of us shouted and both went in for the kill. Reflecting on the incidient, I think I am very lucky not to sustain serious injury to my eyes. So, you are right, coordination is key to a good game. Must spent 15 seconds at the start of each game to strategies with all partners.

13. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!
    I don't know how your partner could not see you?

But if you were in front and tilting back as much as that to reach the shuttle...........it most definetly was not you shot.....regardless I don't know how he did not see you. And continued to take the shot.

I have been hit but not like that.....ouch! Hope your recovery is swift.:)

I got hit across the head with a racket once.........a flat drive was hit to the left of my head and as I went to give it a around the head.........my partner hit me with 'a around the head shot'. the racket broke....lol:D ahh well it has only happened once.

14. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent Regular Member

Student
    maybe you should call csi to investigate
    maybe your partner had an evil motive

15. madman

madman Regular Member

We were both very tired so I reckon he did not see me. In my younger playing days, the front guy will have to kill off any weak returns unless it is a high return or drive to the baseline. The rationale is that after executing 2-3 consecutive smashes, your partner will most likely be very tired and thus error-prone in subsequent shots, especially if he has to lunged forward. Many a times, if he has to lunged forward, the shuttlecock will end up in the net.

I'm OK now now, the bruises are gone. Just feel a little sensation when I twitch my nose. :) Thanks for the concern.

Wow, lucky it was the racket that broke, not your head (pardon the pun). Well, as I said, accidents do happen in badminton and from now on, I just have to be more careful and talk more with my partner.:)

16. madman

madman Regular Member

Yeah, get CSI to do a post mortem on my dead body and find out which weapon was used - Yonex or Proace or Apacs......:) But then, I must first be dead right????

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Heh! It's called tunnel vision. I am sure all of us got that at one point in our baddy playing lives:p.

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Just a little clarification. Only move up to near central midcourt when you think the shuttle is heading near the baseline. If the lift is just midcourt, step aside and let your partner kill it.