21-point is better

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by weeyet, Mar 20, 2006.

1. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    After watching today's Commonwealth Games, from a spectator point of view, I feel that 21-point is more exciting.

But, I like to see those 'come-backs' when a player is trailing 8-13, 9-14, I think this is hard to happen in the new point system

2. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!

Can't agree.....but everyone has their own oppinion.

I hate the new system......I was a spectator at the games a few days ago.
    Games were finnished too quickly.

Personally I would not like to play with those new rules myself.:(

Without the safety of having the serve and the opponent at match point and denying him the chance of winning in the next rally and maintaining serve........:confused:

It just isn't 'Badminton' but I know alot of people who like it.

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i agree with longreach.
    sure, it makes sense to make game times more predictable for tv schedules, but i think the game loses its magic from these changes.
    i can still see a side trailing 14-8 reach duece, but in the same situation, say 20-14, i would have to say game over.
    1 small, silly mistake, and you're gone ...

4. tze yang

tze yang Regular Member

World No. 3 In Outdoor Badminton
    my main concern is the length, rally points are way too short, take WMC and Tracy's game for example, it would've been easily 90 mins long with fitness determining the winner, but eventhough each wins a rally, the points keep adding up and it finshed in only 60mins

And Aamir only had less than 25mins on camera becoz of the rally points system...**Rolls on floor and cracks up laughing
    It wouldve been 15-2 15-2 on the old system, he rarely wins 2 rallies in a row...and i love the look on his face after LCW calmly pushes his net smash back with him half clenching his fist already
    LCW must be like WTF? lol coz im sure Lin Dan and gade wouldnt do that and he would expect the rally to go on lol

5. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    I agree with longreach and Dreamzz as well.:)

6. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

For controlling time, I think, bout-piont system should be much better than old point system. But I think 5x15 is better than 3x21 under bout-piont system. More time for ad. and timeout of every game is after 8 points (11 points under 21 points).

Don't worry about "come back" problem, I think, it will appear (like under old point system) as soon as players are familiar with new point system.

Table Tennis uses 7x11 point system now, many many "come back" visions appear during playing.

7. alloh

alloh Regular Member

:confused: Table Tennis using 7 x 11 points now? If not my mistake, it still uses 5 x 11 points at this CWG right?

BTW, I think this new scoring system would be better if 3 x 25 points. 21 too fast especially doubles.

8. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

I think the magic has gone - The games in Melbourne don't seem at all rivetting - exciting comebacks could be a thing of the past now:crying:
    They should rather work on some dynamic photography to increase TV audiences (like tennis)

9. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    wait and see

Don't worry, if 21-point system is not good enough then IBF will go back to the old 15-point system after Thomas Cup. Just give players more time to adapt to the new system. Lets wait and see.

10. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    With all due respect to members here, I think the spectators enjoyed the match regardless. Now stop your b*tching and lets play / watch more badminton

11. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

With all due respect, this is a thread about discussing the pro's and con's of the new point system. It is interesting to hear everyones feeling on this, it is not bi**ching just an exchange of views on the matter.

I ask many people in the crowd at the games........people i knew and people I didn't.................not one person said they enjoyed watching with the new point system over the old.

12. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    after watching a few matches with the 21 point system, I really didn't feel the the middle parts of games felt any different to the 15 point system.

where i felt a bit let down was when the score neared the 20 point mark, and in several matches, the game sort of simply ended... some of the matches did not end with any big bang, but more of a whimper.

i think that feeling is generally consistent with most spectators that are expecting a bit more suspense in close matches.

13. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

the new scoring system sucks! I tried it once and reverted it to the old system. i wonder if the change will create the desired effect i.e. attracting more ppl to badminton. But what's for sure is that it's disappointing hardcore badminton fans .

14. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Good description. Trying to make it more exiting I feel has done the opposite.:( I am no longer watching the games badminton............I am going to watch the boxing....lol.......seriously.

15. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

7x11 for individual events, and 5x11 for team events.

I think, to badminton, best of 5 games should be better than best of 3 games.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    lol.
    Maybe because scoring in boxing is closer to badminton's 15x3 than the 21 pt system;) . In boxing, u only score points for good hits and no point to your opponent if u miss your punch. Imagine a fight where u duck or parry all his swings and u can't or didn't land a single punch on the guy, YOU WIN!!!! ding ding ding ding.!!!!

#16 cooler, Mar 20, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  17. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Very true!

I watch both: boxing and badminton........they are in the same complex...........spewing cause all tickets are sold out so I can't go to anymore:( I should have pre booked. ah well I saw boxing twice and badminton once.
    I love low round fights.......more action in less time.....it is also better for the health of the fighters.........and usually less blood thirsty.

In western kickboxing you lose a round by not throwing at least 6 kicks in a round. Even if you are winning the round! You must throw out 6 even if they don't connect.

If you got points for your opponent missing you......the fighter 'Prince Azim' if spelt correct would be the ultimate 'evader' and champion......he hardly got hit in fights. His reflexes were amazing.

18. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Dude, I just said to watch more badminton and enough whining. The forum has been overpopulated with hate posts in recent time just because the IBF decided to try something new.

19. tze yang

tze yang Regular Member

World No. 3 In Outdoor Badminton
    Upsets are gona flow all over the place with the new scoring, mayb not for the top 2 seeds but for lower ranked players it happens a lot...
    Just like both the indian 2nd singles doing much better than their 1st singles...
    And even beat aamir lmaoRofl.....:D

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    #20 cooler, Mar 20, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006