Short vs. Long

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jan_BE, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Jan_BE

Jan_BE Regular Member

IT Support Desk
    (Not about the service ;))

This weekend at the Velo Dutch International I noticed something.
    I was watching Women's Doubles, Juhl & Frier vs 2 local girls.
    The Danisch girls would swing there arm and racket all the way tru, across there body. (Long movement)
    Now the Dutch girls didn't, they made a much shorter movement, not crossing there body or lowering there racket.
    I hope you get what I mean by this :)
    Can anyone think off any advantiges/disadvantiges for each one?

2. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    The short swing takes less time, and when under pressure, can still produce a quality stroke. The long swing is used to rebalance your body when "floating" backwards, and bring yourself back to middle. I mean long as in the follow through. Generally, a long swing is not as favourable I presume.

3. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

Short swings are when you whip the bird, having a more snap to bird during the hit. When you "long swing" the bird, and when you "short swing" the bird, it produces a different shot, and can change the pace.
    For example, the clear. When you short swing it, it is a fast clear, meaning its not as high, but faster to the back. The long swing, would produce a higher, slower clear to the bird. They both have their pros and cons. Short swings means you get to push your opponent to the back, but you have less time to rest. Long swings gives you a longer time to rest, but also gives you more time for your opponent to rest. Also, long swing clears almost definatly put you on the the defensive, unless their footwork is really bad. The short swing (whip) clear, will push them to the back, and they most likely can't reach it in time to put in a good offensive shot.
    The smash, also has it differences. The short swing produces a more angled shot, but weaker power. The long swing produces more power, but harder to place the bird where you want to. Also, long strokes cannot be done easily in the air. Short swings are mostly done, at least by me, for jump smashes.

Anyways, theres just my two cents.

wunsun

4. setaa

setaa Regular Member

i think it's mostly playing style that suit the player the most. i read about this once in BC, i think the thread title was rough/soft play or something like that

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Shorter swing is more efficient, but requires far more forearm (fingerpower) strength for quality shots. It's better for balance and improves shot accuracy as a result.