Trivia : Badminton's popularity in Singapore

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by madman, Mar 22, 2006.

1. madman

madman Regular Member

Based on the result of a recent survey done by the Singapore Sports Council, badminton is the fifth most popular sports here and is played by 6% of all active folks. Likewise, at 6% also, it is the 2nd most popular spectator sports after soccer (32%).

Attached Files:

2. event

event Regular Member

It also seems to be 3rd in participation among sports which require fees/real estate. In how many countries can badminton outrank soccer - if only slightly - I wonder? Probably only those in which land is at such a premium.

But 2nd most popular spectator sport? That is incredible. Does that translate into decisions made by TV networks, though? I don't recall any gloating by our Singapore-domiciled members about how much badminton coverage they are exposed to.

3. madman

madman Regular Member

Sports channels are mostly available through paid cable-tv in SG. I, for one, am not a subscriber to the cable tv as I do not watch much tv. So, with ESPN, STAR Sports and SUPER Sports channels, the variety is endless. However, nothing beats watching the games live, not on tv but being there in the stadium. With the World Cup Germany 2006 coming, I may end up subscribing to the cable tv........it's the next best thing apart from going to Germany to watch these.....will cause a fortune....... ;)

4. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Don't forget that about 51% of the population is female.

In Singapore and I would expect many Asian countries, not many women continue to play football after they leave school, but quite a few continue with badminton.

5. event

event Regular Member

That's a good point. I guess that in many of the football-mad countries, there are so many men, children and youths who play it that it wouldn't matter how many women played what, football would still rule. Singapore is very likely egalitarian enough society that women's athletic activities would affect the average significantly.

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

ah, women playing badminton ... ain't that a pretty sight ... all i can say is
    GO REIKO-CHAN!

7. Arief

Arief Regular Member

can see that badminton is the most popular games... the top 4 sports are not games, they're just normal excercise...