Racket string problem

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by senna_82, Mar 23, 2006.

1. senna_82

senna_82 New Member

Hi all,
    Great forum!

I have a slight problem regarding a new Nanospeed 8000 that I received this morning. I'm not a bad player and play twice a week and so thought this racket was ideal. I love the feel of it etc however I ordered mine online and got them to string it with Ashaway Microlegend XL at 23 LB.

I tried it out for the first time in a quick warm up session and was surprised to find the strings going out of form straight away. I was constantly having to re-straighten them which was very irritating.

I want to get it restrung now and so could anyone recommend something that would stop this slipping of the strings?? Either by new tension or change of strings. I want something durable and I had heard Ashaway were good for this but the slipping won't do.:confused:

Many thanks.

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I just happened to look up the Ashaway Microlegend XL. It's 0.73mm so, the string will stretch more, resulting in a lower tention after the string stretches. One could increase the string tention higher to get the tention you would of intended if you had a thinner string (thinner strings pull tighter) at X tention.

A thinner string which you could try out is the BG-65 (0.70mm), BG-66 (0.66mm), Gosen Pro 70(0.70mm) and Pro 66 (0.66).

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Brand new string shifts after strokes is normal, especially true to slipery strings and/or with low tension. Just adjust the string in between rallies. Once the string is settled down (after hours of playing time, depend on the string type/tension, hitting style/strenght, etc), it will tend move less and less. ;)

4. senna_82

senna_82 New Member

Thanks for your responses. In that case I'll wait and see if the strings settle down and stop sliding around after using the racket for a few weeks.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I guess that's a better solution. Btw, what tension you put it on?

6. senna_82

senna_82 New Member

I asked for a tension of 23 LB. It's on my reciept as that. I wonder if I had asked for a bit more then it would be OK from the go. I'm just surpised that a light warm up session could move the strings so easily (and whatsmore its quite a job to place the strings back into position with your hands!)

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    at it is a .73mm string, that means the contact point between two strings at the string bed is flatter than thinner strings. as a result, they don't eat into each other as deeply, so they tend to slide more easily. just give it more time, and make sure you arrange them properly after every badminton session.

8. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    You can try applying a stencil logo around the center area. The ink may hold the string together till it settles in.

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Most likely the tention on your current now is at very low 20 or below. If you know music, you could tell me what note/pitch the string when you tap your hand on it - I could appromately what tention it at once I know the note.

10. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

Y don't u make the list of the note and its approximate tension?

my guitar string is listed at 13 lbs for high e string.

can u ask your stringer to prestretch the string to keep the tension? does that help? the guy I string with was an "A" player (or he said so) and wont do that. he said it was unneccesary and he said BG-65 will hold the tension for about 6 month or so before it losses the tension, he said he's been doing it for over 25 years. the problem is he's the only stringer in town that know badminton if I wanna change. he still play at the local club. the sport stores guys ussually only do tennis and squash...sooo I was kinda reluctant to bring business to them

oh well...a bit loose is good I guess... more power, although it sucks when there is no touch at all.

11. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Hi Double:

I could but then people who do not familiar with music would not understand what I am talking about. The tension which I specify as a note will be dependent on several factors: Stringing machine used, racket and string thickness.

Basic rule in thumb which seems consistent:
    - Whole tones, - 1 pound
    - Semi-tones – 0.5 pound
    - ½ of a semi-tone – 0.25 pound

I will provide an example where the tension is different to produce the same note desired on the same racket. The rackets are strung on the Prince Neo 1000 String tension machine. The note I want is C# (technically want an an out of tune higher C# to be exact) at the initial starting tension. Once the string is broken in and stabilizes, the note it’s stringed at would be highest note the racket will make when you’re using power (ie. Smash/clear). My

My friend’s fake Armortec 800 with Yonex BG-66, requires 23 pounds make C#, while my Swing Power 900 SA with Gosen Pro 66 requires 23.5 pound to produce the same sound.

To able to get your references setup for the first time, you will need to know what tension your racket is stringed at and what sound racket is producing when using power, assuming the string is already stabilized. Once you have this, you will decide what note you want to change to accordingly to the tension.

Another way of getting a reference for the first time is by getting your racket just after it comes off the stringing machine. Hit the racket on your palms and take note of the sound which is made at that tension. This would not work reliably if done later after stringing is done because the tension is dropping.

This will work consistently assuming that the factors is the same. If a factor is different (ie. different strining machine, string, etc...), you would have find a new reference with that setup.

Matt

#11 Matt, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  12. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    About the question referring to pre-strining, it's not necessary. I would just adjust the string tention accordingly to take in that effect.

13. senna_82

senna_82 New Member

Ongoing string problem

I emailed the company I bought my racket from about the problem I'm having regarding my strings moving.

They responded with this very brief statement: 'This string (Micro legend XL) has this property you can not stop movement due to the low friction surface'.

So it appears that they are saying that this string will keep sliding around and not settle. Perhaps a restring with another make is on the cards now. :(

What string would you recommend for a Nanospeed 8000 tension 23LB for an attacking, aggresive player? However durability is important too.

As always any replies are much appreciated.

14. Double_Player

the stings tone

hey matt,

mine is around B flat to B. I can't really decide which one. the one strung at 23 sounds more like B flat and the one at 24 sounds more like B. so, is this about correct?

15. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I assueme the B Flat and B sound described is produced on power shots. In that my view it seems about right for thick strings. If you use thinner strings, it would be up to C# and higher at the same tention thinner strings pull tigher.

16. Double_Player

I use BG-65 Ti all strung by the same person, only different tension. the sounds is produce by hitting the string bed to my head...;) (softly, ofcourse) I can hear them better that way, then I pluck my guitar trying to find the sounds...I would assume it has lost a lot of tension since it feels looser than when I 1st got it back.

17. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Oh ok, in that case, it sounds about right, B/B flat plucking them - it stablized. I don't use the plucking method, I use more of the palm hittignt eh string to amke the racket ring. Mine rings about about a out of tune B (tuned pitched higher). During power shots it would be a C# to out of tune version of it.

18. robinhood47

robinhood47 Regular Member

senna,

i suggest you wait a bit longer for the strings to settle. the rackets that i strung using Ashaway ML does slip but it will settle. the strings itself has a coating that cause this.

19. woicye22

woicye22 Regular Member

Hi all,
    My racket(AT700) is just strung with BG68TI at 25lbs. I found the string keeps sliding. Will it cause any damage to frame? I afraid some lines are in lower tension but some are in higher tension and racket will then be distorted.