Yonex Bangkok in WTC Closed?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by stantan, Mar 23, 2006.

1. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Just last week I sent my friend to Bangkok with an errand to buy me some gear from the Yonex store in WTC. He sent me a text message saying that it was closed and left no forwarding address.

I know they have another branch somewhere. Does anyone know where?

Also, does anyone know if they still honor the discount cards issued to non-Thai residents? I heard somewhere that they stopped doing that.

2. Arief

Arief Regular Member

I don't know about the one in WTC, but my friend went back to bangkok last week and i asked him to buy some yonex stuff from the shop behind national stadium. my friend said it was closed for a few days because the owner went to demosntration against Thaksin. he also said a lot of shops were closed during that time.. maybe this is the reason

3. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    If I recall correctly, there are three other Yonex outlets:
    1) Seacon Square (www.seaconsquare.com)
    2) Central City Bangna
    3) Not sure of the location of the third outlet.

The above two malls are close to each other. It will cost you ~US$7 by taxi from Bangkok city and the journey will take about 30 minutes by the highway if traffic is smooth.

Believe you could still use the Yonex discount cards. Understand Yonex outlets have stopped issuing new cards to foreigners and limit sale of racquets to 3 pieces per month for each customer.

Cheers

4. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Thanks, Sealman!

Any idea how far the mall is from the BTS station that was on the map of its website?

5. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    No more discount cards to foreigners. Tried to get one last August with no luck. You need to show that you actually live in Thailand to get the card.

6. armortec800

armortec800 Regular Member

Alight at the last stop of BTS Onut, Take a cab opposite of Lotus supermarket. It is around 70 baht to Central Bangna The Mall. The shop is on the second level.

Seacon Square is a bit far from the nearest Onut station and the road is very jammed pack because of severl flyovers under construction.

#6 armortec800, Mar 27, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  7. armortec800

As I know, the WTC is now under heavy renovation now. The place is so lacking and dated, dark and old. So I guess the Yonex shop was closed for good.

8. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Thanks Armortec.

Its a little harder to send someone there instead of WTC which is so central. Oh well =)

9. armortec800

But just why would someone go there and pay more, because the forum discussed about the cheaper shops beside the National Stadium.

10. lmallier

lmallier Regular Member

Hi,
    just to let you know the status of WTC Yonex shop: the lease has expired in March and they do not plan to reopen a Yonex shop there. Anyways WTC is getting some renovations and most of the shop will be closed for some time.

The other options to buy from Yonex are already mentionned in the previous posts. I would just add the Yonex Thailand HQ which has a showroom on Sukhumvit Soi 26. It is closed on week ends though.

FYI, I just called Yonex Thailand (HQ) today and the Nanospeed 9000 has not arrived yet. They told me to call back in 2 weeks to check again as they are not yet sure of the availability in Bangkok.

Cheers.

11. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Thanks very much for checking, Imallier. I would appreciate it if you could let the rest of the forum know when its available.

Armortec - About National Stadium. When I ask someone visiting Bangkok to buy a racket for me, its more convenient to point them towards a department store, one- its easy to find, two- there's more incentive for them to go there.

Plus the fact that the people I send will have no idea to spot a genuine from a fake. When I visited a few shops outside National Stadium they looked original to me, but that's because I own original Yonex rackets and diligently read our forums on how to spot fakes. I can't very well expect my 60 year old aunt to spot a fake ;)

12. Scoobz

Scoobz Regular Member

I am travelling to Thailand in 6 weeks (May 22nd 2006) and will be in Bangkok for 4 days (before travelling to Chiang Mai for 4 days and Koh Samui for 8 days).

I have been looking at buying a Yonex Nanospeed 9000 (X or S) here in the UK but just realised I may get a better price over in Thailand when I go?

I see the 9000 may not yet be available in Thailand? Any ideas on when it might be available? Possibly by May 22nd?

What sort of price would I be looking at for a Yonex 9000 in Thailand? They are charging around £150 here in the UK.

I presently have a Karakal SL, which I wish to replace with something a little 'better' quality and performance and Yonex is my first choice (Carlton being the second). The new 9000 looks to fit all the specifications I am looking for.

Any info appreciated.

13. lmallier

lmallier Regular Member

In case you did not see my post on the NS 9000 review thread:

"Just got my NS9000 Type S (3U G5) from a shop in Seoul, Korea for 170 USD (official retail price 210 USD).
    Got it strung in Bangkok with BG66 @ 24lbs. The stringer did not want to follow Yonex stringing instructions for NS9000 and used a single stringing pattern (2 knots). I will try it tonight.
    For the official retail price in Bangkok, it will be 6,990 THB (170 USD) which means that you may get it down to 120 USD (30 % discount) at some shops. However the availability is still unknown yet."

I will check regularly and keep you updated if there is anything new.

Later.

14. Scoobz

Scoobz Regular Member

Excellent...

Just read that post actually... many thanks.

If looking at a price of around 6000 THB that equates to about £85, which is significantly cheaper than the UK price.

I am hoping to get the NS9000S (not X) though, and would like a grip size that fits my hand (meaning 'European/Western' sized grip).... I wonder whether they are available when I get there... I hope so.
    If not, I'll be getting one when I return to the UK I suppose.

15. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Ive always been able to get G4 rackets in Bangkok, although I guess you're looking for at least a 3U, eh?

16. Scoobz

Scoobz Regular Member

I don't actually know my present grip size... I have a Karakal SL80 that I bought in about 2002/3.... I got it in the UK, presume it is a local specification racquet.

I don't actually have massive hands, so I aren't looking for anything too large... I want a grip the same size as I have on my SL80, as it is comfortable (it has a Karakal Super PU grip on it as standard).

17. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Well, I've always gone by the adage that its ok to buy a racket with a small grip, since I can always add more, but if I buy one too big theres only so much I can do =)