Hairpin Dropshots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Liam Deakin, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Liam Deakin

Liam Deakin Regular Member

This is one of those shots that I have desperately been trying to master, but hardly any coaches spend time on practicing it. You know the net shot where you take it really low to the ground and it just scrapes back over?

I've seen good players use it if they can't get there quickly, and they literally take it about 30cm above the ground! I'm sure if I could do this it would be really helpful to my game but I just can't seem to get the knack of it.

Does anybody know how to do this rarther difficult shot? Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks

Liam.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hairpin net shots, though they look impressive, are risky. Never play this shot if your opponent is already near the net, unless the shuttle is too tight to lift.

Hairpin netshots are much more common in singles. In doubles, they are the last resort desperation shot, played crosscourt, against an opponent who has out-played you at the net.

Try to keep your body still while you play the shot. You have very little margin for error, so a small, controlled movement of the hand and arm will be best. If you swing at the shuttle, you will lose accuracy. Try to take the shuttle well in front of you near your maximum reach, with a big lunge onto your racket foot.

The lower it drops to the floor before you play the stroke, the harder your shot will be to execute.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

you will master it prett fast by always being too late at the net:p

honestly, be fast enough and get it high will double your chance of a good shot..

and what Gollum siad appleis to all net shots...if a player is already standing at teh net it wont do much good if it lift 15cm above the net and lands right behidn it..you get it brushed off...if he stand there it's mroe effective to get is within 3cm of the tape btu further away from the net...the reverse when your opponent stands at the back..