Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

torso = upper body

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding the topic..

Does racket contribute significantly to a smash ? I have no idea what my racket models are but im hoping it aint SO significant to the point where its disrupting my game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vaniko
    WOW! thanks! but i still got a few questions..

a) should i hold the grip closer to the racquet head so that i can gain more power and control for my smash? or hold lower so that i can use the racquet's swing to gain more power?
    b) my friend told me to face my left toes towards the spot that i will hit at...is it right?
    c) @___@ what's a torso?

hehe thanks alot!~
    hold at near the bottom of the racket, never smash holding it high coz its ALOT weaker and slower but iuno maybe a bit more accurate, the only time i recommend holding it very high is for a back hand drop or short swing

And the torso is like right above ur hips but its like on ur back, anyways im 5"3 and i can smash perfectly so the height isnt the problem, its the techique.

1 - always stand sideways before beginning the smash and turn your body or rotate you body as you swing (easier if you see this step)
    2 - time it right and swing trying to make impact on the highest point and right after that snap hard and follow through
    3 - use your body weight to help increase power, lean slightly forward with reaching for the highest point
    4 - oh and get ready before the bird even gets close to you to help

Regarding the topic..

Does racket contribute significantly to a smash ? I have no idea what my racket models are but im hoping it aint SO significant to the point where its disrupting my game.
    The racket does not contribute alot, unless you are comparing a cheap 3 piece bad, grip, very loose strings and super heavy racket to a umm very crazy racket, So besides that the smash requires techique, a racket isnt going to make you smash
    Last edited by xkenji; 03-25-2006 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

late reply to the post but since you're 5'2'' it doesn't seem like you can do a standing smash from the backcourt easily unless done while jumping because of the lack of angle due to your height.

If you are doing smashes closer to the net it might be because of the position you hit the shuttle in the air or your wrist is not snapping down enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PandaLord
    Regarding the topic..

mostly no, racquets usually vary the speed of the smash like an AT 700 will have a very strong and faster speed smash compared to a Nanospeed because its more head heavy but most of it depends on technique with exception of the swing speed which changes with every racquet you use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smashing takes a long time to get used to. I first trained with drop to get the general idea as to how i would smash. My friends often told me to jump since i am only 5'4. Jumping helps a lot to get angle but angle doesn't matter when you can't smash.

Smash utilizes the body, arm, and wrist in different ways. The body; when rotating the body towards the bird, you gain momentum. The arm; the arm is used to transfer and increase the momentum gained from rotating the body. The wrist; utilized to aim and angle the shuttle. The more wrist you use, the more angle you get.

This should all fall into one smooth motion of rotating the body, swinging the arm, and pulling down the wrist. The main components of power are added from the torso and the arm but the wrist can also increase power. If you look at your forearms there should be a slight difference in size. That's from utilizing wrist.

To train the wrist, i have used my badminton racket in my hand in rest position. Pull the wrist out so the racket has a flat surface facing you. Then using wrist only, move the racket up and down at approximately 90 degrees as fast as you can with maximum control. Do this until your forearm tires. Rest and repeat.

Overtime, this will help strengthen your wrist movement and smashes. The flat surface helps maximize power in smashed. The logic is that, if you smash perpendicular to the bird, you will transfer all the momentum. By slicing, that momentum is not transfered entirely and thus, not as much power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your footwork should help alot...It's not all arm and wrist...
    try to rotate your hips and feet. (you start with your right foot back, left forward and end right forward left back) at the start of this rotation forcefully 'kick off' with your right foot to get some more power.

foucs on your lower body a bit...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hold your racket firmly if you wanna smash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use so much of my torso when smashing though. Purely arm, & wrist but after smashing for a while, my wrist feels ache and my lower arm feels tired as if I've done a lot of wrist curls. Does it happen to u guys ?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monster
    I don't use so much of my torso when smashing though. Purely arm, & wrist but after smashing for a while, my wrist feels ache and my lower arm feels tired as if I've done a lot of wrist curls. Does it happen to u guys ?
    Nope.

You may be using a "wrist and elbow swing" rather than a "forearm swing".

Wrist flexion and elbow extension is a bad way to hit the shuttlecock.

The correct hitting action is like throwing a ball, not like throwing a dart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gollum,

Is that why I seldom have power in my smashes? But they are pretty steep ! As for forearm swing, is it abt ok to say 95% forearm, 5% wrist? (If we normalize the % to torso).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id like to hear where the MAX power comes from as well, since i have no idea what im doing to generate my power. I can smash pretty well, stronger than a decent person i believe.

What i HAVE to do to generate it though is to relax my grip, while preparing for the shot above my head, and basically i just swing it forward. No idea what body area causes it to be powerful though i know the grip is extremely important to get my 'Pow' effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look for the one thread on this forum....umm.....does anybody remember, where it teaches to use the fourth and the pinky finger grip instead of using the original grip when smashing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kenny, I think the chinese grip thread is what u are referring to. I tried the pinky and 4th finger grip, just felt weird and sooooo looose that my racket may just fly out of my hand or wobble left and right inside my palm. Weird grip.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monster
    Gollum,

Is that why I seldom have power in my smashes? But they are pretty steep ! As for forearm swing, is it abt ok to say 95% forearm, 5% wrist? (If we normalize the % to torso).
    Yes, that is almost certainly the reason.

If your hitting action is like throwing a dart, then you will find it difficult to make powerful strokes. This hitting action is fine for accuracy, however, so it's not surprising you are able to make steep smashes.

There's little point analysing the percentage power generation from each body part. Keep the coaching points simple:

• Hitting action should be like throwing a ball for distance;
    • Use the basic grip;
    • Impact above the shoulder or slightly in front;
    • Do not try to force power using the wrist: keep it relaxed and allow the power to pass into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gollum,

One guy told me to think of it as when a tennis player is serving. I guess the steepness then will be dependent upon how much i flex my wrist at the end ? The advice was to stretch my elbow high up above my head.

I think you are right about purely elbow and wrist flexion. Is this a common problem ? You've seen many players doing that? Overtime, I seem to have developed some power in my wrist such that my smash is steep and have some power, although not the explosive ones u commonly see.

Also, I've heard of people smashing the "thumbs up to thumbs down" forearm twisting technique (pronation??) (or turning the door knob counterclockwise, whatever u call it) while others smash in a followthrough motion as if they are throwing a baseball and trying to splat it square on the ground. Thus, little forearm counterclockwise twisting (pronation??). More like throwing a stone as far as possible when we were kids except that this time we have to flex our wrist down to get the shuttle down. Which is better? You understand what I mean ?
    Last edited by Monster; 08-21-2006 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "panhandle and throw like a dart" technique is a very common problem. I see it in the vast majority of beginners that I coach, and it's sometimes difficult to get them hitting correctly because the grip and throwing action reinforce each other -- a vicious cycle.

It is often difficult for a coach to persuade players to give up the panhandle method! We need to be patient and supportive, and keep repeating our message with sustained periods of practice until the player gets it.

Any kind of decent thowing action will include a substantial forearm-pronating component; I'm not entirely sure how to interpret and evaluate your metaphors, so I'm chary of saying one or the other.

If you want to practise a throwing action, it's probably best to choose a relatively light object such as a light ball, a small stone, or even a shuttlecock. After all, the shuttle/racket combination is pretty light!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast