A curious thing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Aleik, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    I played a match last night and noticed that I can get remarkable smash speed...but only in one situation. I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but it is when the shuttle is lifted across my body, from non-racquet side to racquet side, i.e. cross court to my forehand. If I'm well positioned and the shuttle is the right height I can really connect with it...I mean really connect with it.

And it takes little effort as well. One thing I should note is that I'm usually square on to the net when I hit it, and I can feel a more pronounced pronation when I do it. It's just a shame I can't harness whatever it is I'm doing right and use it in any other situation in the rear court. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Aleik

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Have you look at your forehand grip for smashing? That's one variable that comes to mind for your particular situation.

3. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

technique

Sounds like you find it easier to hit the shuttle well when it happens to position itself quite well above your racquet shoulder, but have difficulty when it's going across to your non racquet side. Try working on your sideways movement at the back of the court to get enough room between you and the shuttle (e.g. have someone lift alternately to the backhand corners and you play dropshots back to them).

4. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I'll try and be a bit clearer about it this time. It's hard to visualise, but there's something about this particular situation that just induces an unusually hard smash. It feels as though I'm using my abdominals a lot, and there feels like there is a distinct "snap" at the point of contact. I feel a nice stretch in my pectorals, and it produces a kind of elasticated, "sprung" and powerful smash. I've a feeling that if I prepared properly for this particular smash, i.e. side on, I would lose this elasticity because there is less stretch. Everything just happens in synch. Needless to say, as I'm near the back of the court and land square on to the net, my recovery is awful.

It may be the grip indeed, and I'll give that alternating practice a go. Thanks.

Aleik

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I tend to find My strongest smashes are made when moving to the round the head, since at this point you have the body rotation as well.

I can get strong smashes on my forehand side with little arm swing as well. Lin Dan incidentally can Smash very strongly in his forehand side in this way to Aleik-maybe you are similar players!?

6. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Maybe it's because your shoulders are already almost in line with the shuttle (if it's coming crosscourt like you say). If this is the case then I would imagine your smashes go back crosscourt as well?

7. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

No, it doesn't go cross court again, it's peculiar. That's my point, it goes straight, which allows this elasticity in my shoulder and pectorals. A couple more things I forgot to mention (again)...the shuttle is a little in front of where I would smash it in other situations, but the point of contact is normal in lateral terms.

Also, I kind of throw my legs and arms forward if I'm in mid-air after the smash (brought about by the amount of work done by the abdominals). It's my most powerful smash but technically, probably, the least advisable because of the poor recovery.

Aleik.

8. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Can I just confirm that you are referring to "round the head" clears/smashes.

Have you tried "falling" towards the direction of your non-racquet side. This way you ensure you keep yourself opened up to your opponents.

#8 jcl49, Apr 1, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Maybe you get better timing and hit the shuttle more accurately.
    Because the shuttle is coming crosscourt, you get to see more of it's flight path and it's easier to judge where it will be.

crosscourt from the other side should be a bit similar, but not exactly the same because of the way the racquet head face changes which way it points during your swing and pronation.

10. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    The shuttle is coming at your forehand at a certain speed
    You watch the shuttle and whilst moving you arm build up momentum
    You swing at the shuttle so the connection is faster than a deep clear from your apponents and kabaaammm!!! you feel good as you gave it your all in that smash.

I do them too but it comes out as being quite a flat smash.

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I find that my smash is hardest when I fall diagonally towards the front/non-racquet side. With the "snap", body rotation and weight behind the shot, theoratically it should be my hardest. With better timing, I am sure I can hit even harder.

#11 cappy75, Apr 2, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2006