Eei Hui-Pei Tty help seal record four-gold haul by badminton team

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by ants, Mar 26, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    27th March
    TheStar

THE smiles on the faces of Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty during the medal presentation ceremony yesterday said it all.

Thanks to the outstanding duo, who lived up to their top seeding in the women's doubles event, badminton have won a total of four gold medals for the first time in the history of the Commonwealth Games.

And the four golds from badminton allowed the Malaysian contingent to match the seven-gold haul from the Manchester Games four years ago.

Yesterday, Eei Hui-Pei Tty, the Manila SEA Games champions, overcame early jitters to beat China-born Singaporeans Jiang Yanmei-Li Yujia 21-17, 21-19 in a tight final marked by long rallies.

It was the third gold of the day and the fourth overall for the shuttlers. Lee Chong Wei and doubles pair Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat delivered the other two gold medals yesterday.

Malaysia had won the mixed team gold medal last week.

Four years ago, Malaysia also won the women's doubles gold through Lim Pek Siah-Ang Li Peng at the Manchester Games.

The 24-year-old Eei Hui was overwhelmed after the historic win.

“It feels really great to win the fourth gold medal for the badminton team. It is great, not only for us, but also for the badminton team,” said a beaming Eei Hui.

“But the pressure was so great that I was literally trembling during the match.”

The pressure fell on Eei Hui-Pei Tty after teammate Wong Mew Choo failed to become the first Malaysia to win the woman singles title in 28 years.

She went down tamely 12-21, 15-21 to a rejuvenated and steady Tracey Hallam of England, who Mew Choo had beaten in the mixed team final.

“I am glad we lived up to the expectations. The win has not really sunk it yet,” added Eei Hui.

After losing the mixed doubles bronze playoff (with Kien Keat) tamely a day ago, Pei Tty gave an improved display.

“We lost to the Singaporeans (Hendra Saputra-Li Yujia) in the mixed doubles. I do not like to lose – especially to Singaporeans,” said Pei Tty.

“I am glad, Chin and I pulled it off today. This could be my last Commonwealth Games and I will cherish this win.”

When asked whether she knew how important the win was for Malaysia, Pei Tty said: “I know it will make a difference but our coach (Cheah Soon Kit) did not want us to be worried about it. He told us whether we win or not, he wanted to see our best performances. That took the pressure off.”

The match, however, did not look to be going the Malaysians' way as the Singaporeans fought neck-and-neck for every point.

But after slow starts in both games, Eei Hui-Pei Tty regained their composures to get the better of their opponents.

Team manager Idris Ahmad, probably the most hard working Malaysian official here at the Games, could not stop smiling yesterday.

“I am so happy with the performances. The players were committed throughout the Games and I am very pleased with their fighting spirit. And now, we have four gold medals for the first time in the Commonwealth Games,” said Idris.

Malaysia's previous best in the Games series was winning three gold medals at the 1998 KL Games. Then, Malaysia won the men's singles, doubles and team events.