Soon Kit – man with the Midas touch

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by ants, Mar 27, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    March 28
    TheStar

MELBOURNE: MALAYSIA'S women doubles coach Cheah Soon Kit is fast becoming a man with the Midas touch.

Yesterday, his charges – Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty – became the women's doubles champion in the Commonwealth Games after beating Singaporeans Jiang Yanmei-Li Yujia 21-17, 21-19 at the Melbourne Exhibition Centre on Sunday.

The win adds to the collection of accolades won by the women doubles players since Soon Kit took charge in 2000.

The main ones include Lim Pek Siah-Ang Li Peng's feat of becoming the first Malaysian pair to win a gold at the Commonwealth Games in Manchester four years ago; Eei Hui-Pei Tty's victory in the Manila SEA Games last year; and helping the Malaysian mixed team earn promotion to Division One in the Sudirman Cup.

And now he wants to groom Eei Hui-Pei Tty to win their first Open title this year.

“They have reached the final of two Open tournaments (in Singapore and Holland). Their target is to win at least one Open title this year. They will compete in the ABC (Asian Badminton Championships in Johor Baru) next,” said Soon Kit.

However, he said, it had not been easy training the women players.

“Eei Hui-Pei Tty have gone through many obstacles. Initially, women players were neglected ... they still lacked sparring partners,” he said.

“Unlike countries like China and Denmark, our players hardly spar with the national men players,” said Soon Kit.

“Despite all these, they have trained very hard. They really deserve the win and I am very proud of them,” he added.

2. yling

yling Regular Member

soon kit was my idol !!
    and i m impressed by everything he done for our women!