The jump Smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by -George-, Mar 28, 2006.

1. -George-

-George- Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    i would just like to get everyones opinion on the jump smash. currently i don't do one because it is nowhere near as powerful as my standing smash. i do however jump for drop and occasionally clears.
    does anyone else have the same problem as me and does any1 have any suggestions to make a jump smash more powerful?

2. Radium

Radium Regular Member

Student
    Yea, im absolutely the same. I never use it and I rarely see it used by others, apart from in national tournaments.

...Talking of tournaments, i'd love to be able to use it at U17 Nottingham ICT. Anyone else going??

Anyway back to the subject. I would accept any reasonable advice anyone has...

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

you don't jump for power, you jump for angle..you shoudl aim to force players to dig out the smash you give..

practise your scissors's jump. gain hight with it. and make that sharp drop faster and faster..till it's a tight sharp smash..

when you're alreday behind teh shuttle, just leap up (don't force yourself to pull your legs up, this is a natural reflex when you jump high enough, don't force it) and hit it a high as you can and a sharp as you can..teh strenght will come when you improve your wrist. but it'll probably never be as hard as your ground-bound smash

4. -George-

-George- Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    yea i take the point-it's probably 1 of those things that il have to practice for a good few months b4 its good enough to use in matches.

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, you'll probably get used to it slowly.
    teh jump starts off as a hop and you get used to timign in the air.
    hop becomes leap. and the stick-smash i described earlier will become the killer you see the pro's doing

I'm also stillf ar away from a good jumpsmash..but don't try to focus on it too hard or your game will become one-sided

6. -George-

-George- Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    thanks for the advice

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

sure, but don't treat it as "teh absolute thruth" soem things I mght be wrong, or peopel disagree. some things might work out for you completly different.

8. valourarc

valourarc Regular Member

Professional
    Contrary to some people, I do jump smash for power. There are several reasons for this:

(1) When I'm in the air, I can twist my torso a lot easier
    (2) The momentum of coming down creates extra force (since you usually smash when you're on your way down)

9. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I found this interesting article about a Taiwanese study of collegiate and elite badminton players' smashes, both jump and non-jump.

http://www.uni-konstanz.de/FuF/SportWiss/isbs98/fullpaper/fullChien-Lu-TsaiGRA.PDF

It is interesting to see that for both groups, the jump smash resulted in a greater shuttle speed over the regular smash, though more so for the elite players. It is also intereting to see that the change in shuttle flying angle is much greater for the elite players when performing jump smashes, compared to the college players, even though the contact height is fairly close.

So, the jump smash results in both a more powerful and more sharply angled smash. Elite players, with their superior technique, are able to get even more out of their jump smashes.

10. Ecko123

Ecko123 Regular Member

It takes me a few tries to warm up at first.

I don't leap, its mostly a hop. But I'm slowly getting it. The hardest part is timing. Like when to time the jump, but eventually that just came naturally (with practice I guess). I just noticed in one game that I was jumping at the bird more, and eventually I was getting use to it all.

Just do a nice smash drill with a partner and work on timing. Worked for me, may not work for you but I guess it's worth a shot!

11. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

it looks cool lol ;). i'm sure if you practice enough your jump smash will be as hard as your regular smash. drains tons of stamina if you do it too much though:rolleyes: