Focusing tips

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by xkenji, Mar 28, 2006.

1. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

Well ok today I had a game with the best guy on my team and he pretty much killed me but that was expected. The thing is i felt like i couldnt play my best. In drills and practice I did so much better than i did in the game. So i took some time to think about it and realized I was unprepared for most of the shots seeing as how I changed most of my smashes to clears at the last second which ended up giving him the offensive advantage. he hit very fast shots tho and I had to run for all of them, excellent player he was. I managed to make him run too but hes alot faster than me so yea.. and stupid smash-drop-attacking clear to my backhand side combo was annoying. Luckily i stopped that after a while.

SO BASICLY Im unfocused and getting pressured in the game, I place too much attention of just returning the shot and not placement, So can anyone help by giving my some tips on how to stay focused and use my full potential in games like this.

I can normally smash consistently, clear to backline, drop within a foot of the net but this game I played very poorly. It was however my first serious game for a full year...

2. Josh²

Josh² Regular Member

Student
    Well base on my experience, when I'm playing bad I would take a deep breath or 2 and play basic shots. Get to the basics and foundation of where I can play a stable game. Some exceptional days I can go a little fancy and still be able to deliver, but other times I need to watch myself and get to the basics. Another mental thing you can do is, to think you're better than him. And play as though you are better than him. That some how gives me the confidence when I play with other ppl and so far resulted in a good game most of the time I win. :D So, hope this helps.

Cheers :D

3. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

ok I'll try that when it happens again, but today i played him again and did so much better although I still ended up losing after i ran out of stamina. I need to work on endurance so i can last longer.

4. Josh²

Josh² Regular Member

Student
    That's cool. Hope it helped. :)
    Endurance is the thing I need to plus I have a small tournament soon. Don't know who I'm going against but I need to be mentally and physically stable before entering the match. Focussss.... :p

5. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

maybe you just think that you didn't play your best cuz your opponent was too good? sometimes that psychological side plays a part in your game and if the opponent is far better than you, you just think you're not doing well when in fact they are placing the shots where it's the hardest to get...

just try to play the best you can every game and remember to have fun and your skills will mature.