mis-hitting

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by jerby, Mar 29, 2006.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

ok, story time.

I have a dropweight-stringing machine, 6 point. I string for me, my dad and friends(13 euro whatever tension/string) I play ~22lbs, so does my dad(both BG80), the rest fot he club have about 20lbs.

problem is: eveyrbody on my club is mis-hitting (or at least, I think it is) because after some time, so two weeks, some a day. they come back with their strings broken between 11'o clock, and 2 'o clock. I use BG65 for them. and some people point the finger at me...because somehow it should be my fault..to they don't know how/why. I used to replace soem of them free of charge if it happened quickly. but my string-supplier says they're all mishits and not my fault.

So what do I do? shoudl I tell people they Mis-hit..they'll not like it...

PS: not everybody I string for have this...one guy also plays 22lbsBG65 and never breaks it wiht a mishit. most people don't. just this small group of 10 people who hit hard but probably don't sweet-spot it...weird situation, long story

2. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

If their string breaks near the sweet-spot, then it will be hard to be devoit of any liability. But if a club member confront you with the string broken in obscure places (and not near grommets) then you have a case.

To convince them, why don't you show them where your string breaks next time.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

that's exactly the deal..the all break near the frame..

if someone breaks it at teh sweetspot nobody's complaining then the string just had it's life..

but mostly it's 11 'o clock at the shared grommets.

As an Add-on: I DO NOT use an AWL, only dental-floss and some pliers to oull it through..is also pull threw at an angle...never rushing

EDIT: not sure I get your post *then it will be hard to be devoit of any liability* ???

EDIT EDIT: I play at two places, so luck mostly demands it I break It somewhere else. mostly 3-4 weeks

#3 jerby, Mar 29, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  4. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

I meant that you are not responsible, if it keeps breaking near the middle. But it seems your club members don't accept this.

Maybe you can ask them to play with something like the model below:

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      8.9 KB
      Views:
  5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

wow, were can I buy that? that is seriously sweet....

but you're sayign I should lighten up? so it's not my fault 9for most cases) but what cna I do about it? lower tension? thicker string (thicker than .7 yuck)

#5 jerby, Mar 29, 2006
  6. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Erm, I don't think it is for retail purposes; it is a display model.

If they are such hard hitters, maybe you could suggest >70 micron. But a more applicable solution could be to do free re-stringing within 1 week, not more.

After reading your original post again it seems like your club members are ganging up on you when you said "everybody on my club is mis-hitting". Are you sure you want to keep offering this stringing service under such pressures?

#6 jcl49, Mar 29, 2006
  7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, no...if it become too much hassle..then it's just over...plain and simple...but there not really ganging up on me...just some individual cases.adding it up i think there are about 40-50 rackets with a 'strung by me' sign...and thinkign about it...only 4 people have the problem...but two are still a satisfied 'customers'

PS: sorry for overstating on the "everybody" part

8. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I assume you're using the two string method when stringing? I guess it would be the player's fault for mis-hitting, considering they would break at <20 pounds (stablized).

You could try and give them another string like Gosen Pro 66 or 70 and see if manage to break them.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The 1st thing comes to business is trust. If the customer comes in, demanding a re-service / refund, due to their OWN fault, then, they are not honest people. And they are NOT your friends to start with. Try to explain to them next time, and if they refuse to listen, no more business with them. :cool:

Also, if such thing happend to 1 or 2 particular individual, check the gromments. A broken/split gromment can cut any string in no time.

10. jerby

jerby Regular Member

yeah, I'm plannign to get a rell of ashaway microlegend XL, or soemthing....0.75 thick..shoudl do the trick...

and yes, 2-piece stringing.

anyway guys, thnaks for the advice and support!

the grommets checking is standard..and should always be done! just need to track down some fo those armortec-grommets, the ones with a flat head. none have cracked so far. but soem on my at500 show signs of cracking. btw, how do you define a cracked-grommet? split? or split all the way threw to the frame?

#10 jerby, Mar 29, 2006
  11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Jerby,

Interesting to read your story. May I ask what made and model of your stringing machine? Do you use fix clamp or fly clamp? Do you use strating clamp? This is just my experience. I have a Klip electric machine (I also have a Klippermat dropweight machhine also). Since I use BG85 exclusively and BG80 for some some friends who is hard hitter, my fix clamp has always set on min to hold BG85 @ 25lb. One time, a friend asked me to string with his BG65, I knicked the string because I did not adjust the fix clamps. I know, the fix clamp should not need adjustment. However, it happened. Also, if you use starting clamp, is it clamping to hard? It is just my guess.
    good luck.

12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

it's a ferry force, dropweight. 2 yy flyclamps. no starting clamp...no obvious signs when I'm done doing the mains..I often run my fingers over teh sring (1 by one) to check for faults..

But I was already underway of determinign it's not really my fault...but fault or not...what can I do about it. except thicker string and lower tension? any wondefull tricks or somehting?

#12 jerby, Mar 29, 2006
  13. silentheart

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

oh of coruse, sorry for the confusion..I mean these
    [​IMG]

from 11 o clock to 2 o clock..top part..

15. silentheart

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If the person uses Wilson NCode or Yonex AT800/NS7k/ns8k etc, it's known for the main string easily snap on the top portion, due to mis-hit. The reason is, with only 21 cross (instead of 22 for others), less support from the cross to the main around that area.

17. jerby

jerby Regular Member

so i should add a cross?
    nyhoo, thanks for the help!

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    But it will not fit in because the two grommest above are for one string only. Mis-hits usually cause the middle main strings, above the first cross string, at the top, to snap. If string breakage consistently happens at the first shared grommets at the top (11.30 and 1.30 o'clock) then it is likely that the string breakage is due to shearing of the strings and heat. The first cross/main string at the top must be loose before you pull and tension them. If they are tight, which can generate heat and shearing from power shots, use some wax to loosen them.

19. robinhood47

robinhood47 Regular Member

Jerby,

You are not alone. i have the same people coming back to me due to mishit. Yes Eepak, the main strings above the cross strings. for the benefit of doubt, i do it for free. there was once when it cam e back to me 4 times in a row with the same person. :crying: some players don't understand the concept of mishit. it's like saying, so what if its a mishit, it shouldn't break, should it?.....:confused:

the worse is you are playing against them and they start staring :eek: at the rackets when they miss shots or hit it so far out. its like they think you have cast a spell on their strings while you were stringing them :rolleyes: hmmm why not..............

20. RAMADA77

RAMADA77 Regular Member

Student
    Miss - hitting

Jerby
    I too have the same problems and I suppose all stringers are the same, in that they have those same players coming back taking a chance and trying to blame you for not stringing correctly & get a free re string. I usually give them the benefit of the doubt if the strings break within a week and they are a regular customer but I am wary of some who " try it on" once too often. I sometimes re string for free within 7 days or charge them for the cost of the string. I always replace any sharp grommets before stringing so if the break is close to the frame then a bad miss hit smash is usually to blame. I now examine the stencilling I put on very carefully when the racket is returned as I have had 1 player who tried to pass off his identical spare racket the other week claiming the re string had not lasted.

You try to be of help & give a good service but don't forget there will always be some who try to take advantage.

RAMADA77