Will adding a layer of grip balance...

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Thomas, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Thomas

Thomas Guest

Hello everyone. :) I've been wondering if adding an extra layer of grip to the handle balance out the racquet more? If the racquet purchased is too head heavy, theoretically it would balance out the racquet to a certain degree. Comments and suggestions welcomed. :)

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Thomas,

Good question. Actaully it doesn't change the racket balance at all. It does on the other hand, it changes the way you feel the racket just a bit and may provide some advantage, depending on how much grip you put on. I should note, if you put too many layers on the racket you may lose the contour of the oringal handle that you cannot get a good "feel".

It is good to have at least one overgrip to protect the orignal grip which is on the racket I should mention.

In theoy, if you put a grip on the handle, and just balancing the racket with your finger, the balance does change little bit due to the addional weight. While you are holding it, the balance would be back to it's original position. But on the other hand, you get more of a leverage with the handle being you have extra grip and provide you with a bit more coushin when you impact the bird which will provide you with a bit extra power.

3. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

It would change the balance but not by much. A technique in tennis used to change the balance is by adding lead weights underneath the original grip . however if you feel that the racquet is already heavy (not just head heavy), adding more weight would just make it heavier overall. I usually use a G3 and I add only one layer of grip. Adding another layer makes the handle rounder which I don't like (you lose the octagonal shape). In my other G4 racquet I replaced the original grip with a new one and I wrapped it around in a way that there is a lot more overlap. This made the grip slightly larger and I still have the octagonal shape.

4. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

B4 we answer your question, i would like to know whether u have a 2Uracket with a g4 grip.

On this assumption i would say that it would definetly require 2 overgrips.

I am very sure that i t does affect the balance and would make the racket more balanced but it would also add weight to the racket.

If u are wristy player using a 2U racket then it is adviced that u dont add many grips. U are prone to wrist pains if u use a 2U racket with a lot of grips.

The best grip that i would suggest is the normal yonex (torno) grip over the orginal grip and then a What a grip! grip.

This grip is the best grip that i have ever played with. It costs abt US$4.00. But iam very sure this is worth it.

I hope this helps

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I go and use G 4.5 and put a grip on (double layer) with a single grip.