User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by p@p@k
    Last Year I mostly strung a Yonex (MP, Armortec, NS) racquets and came to this:
    For main I needed 490cm and for crosses 400cm. Stringing tension between 10-13kg.
    So I strung 56 racquets with 500m reel
    I don't mind to see ppl doing this as for an experiement, as well as save a few $$$ here and there.

However, I highly NOT recommend to squeeze to the last inch in order to string a racket. Yeah, you might save about 10% on material cost, but remember, 500m reel compare to single package already save you quite a few. How much more you can save, from the extra 10%. At the same time, you need to deal with all the extra headache, and how frustrated you will feel, if you are up to the last piece of tension, and you are quite a few inches short? I know there's method you can work aroud to save yourself out of the situation, but the frustration and lackness of quality (never to metion, less experienced stringer will simply waste a job) not worth the extra $1.

To me, if you want to focus on the quality of job, and enjoy the process, just bulk order the single packages. At the end, the difference in price is very minimal. However, you saved tons of time and effort, and have more time to have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart
    Please be more specific. Are you asking
    a) min main and cross string length to string a racquet
    b) string length of main and cross string after stringing
    The answer depend on racquet type and model. Also depend on the machine you use. Are you using starting clamp or string extension. Also depend on the tension (not to much).
    What I want to know its not how to use the less strenght possible, but with 10 meters of string, to string a Yonex AT 500, using the 4 knots technic with a tension of 24 lbs. In this case, how much should I have for crosses and how much should I have for mains?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For your AT500. If you have a drop weight machine, to be safe, 9.25m is needed (5.25m main and 4m cross). If you have starting clamp or use string extension (by clamp 1 main string to 1 side of fly clamp and an extra string to the other side of fly clamp) 9m (5m main and 4m cross) will do. My suggestion is to string the main first without cutting the string. After you tide off the mains, cut the string. This way, you will get the extra 25~30cm.
    For hand crank and electric machine, 9m will be enough. Same method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    I don't mind to see ppl doing this as for an experiement, as well as save a few $$$ here and there.

However, I highly NOT recommend to squeeze to the last inch in order to string a racket. Yeah, you might save about 10% on material cost, but remember, 500m reel compare to single package already save you quite a few. How much more you can save, from the extra 10%. At the same time, you need to deal with all the extra headache, and how frustrated you will feel, if you are up to the last piece of tension, and you are quite a few inches short? I know there's method you can work aroud to save yourself out of the situation, but the frustration and lackness of quality (never to metion, less experienced stringer will simply waste a job) not worth the extra $1.

To me, if you want to focus on the quality of job, and enjoy the process, just bulk order the single packages. At the end, the difference in price is very minimal. However, you saved tons of time and effort, and have more time to have fun.
    I must say that I disagree with Your statement and here is why: If You string a 5-10 racquet per year defenetly take a 10m reel but if You string lets say for a averege badminton club (like me) for around 40 players and every player in season string around 5-7 times You came to cca 250 stringings per year and that is 5x500m reels. So lets say that I string 56 racquets and thats 6 more than normal 10m reel. U came to 6X5per reelX10 its cca 300 more in my pocket . For me its OK for U maybe not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by p@p@k
    I must say that I disagree with Your statement and here is why: If You string a 5-10 racquet per year defenetly take a 10m reel but if You string lets say for a averege badminton club (like me) for around 40 players and every player in season string around 5-7 times You came to cca 250 stringings per year and that is 5x500m reels. So lets say that I string 56 racquets and thats 6 more than normal 10m reel. U came to 6X5per reelX10 its cca 300 more in my pocket . For me its OK for U maybe not.
    I string for several local clubs here, and recent 2 yrs or so, I average doing 150-200 rackets per year, and I never bother with the reel.

In my previous post, I said, if you use single package in great quality (obviously, both of us qualify), you should do a bulk order, either through local dealers, or reputable online dealers. As for myself, the price difference is very minimal. For example, for your case, 30 more packs might cost me an extra US$120 around, but i save a lot of headache. Never to metion, once a while, we might make a mistake due to mis-measurement or so. The frustration and mistakes will cost more time and $$$ as well.

To be safe, u can simply raise your price by $1 per job. To the locals, a reputable string charge $1 more is not a big deal, but for you, it very well covered your "extra cost".

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both LB and p@p@k have valid point. It is just metter of headache vs money issue. I feel bad for p@p@k that he can not find great deal to save him even more money in Europe. Can you find anyone who goes to HK or SE asia every year to buy string for you? Good luck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you find anyone who goes to HK or SE asia every year to buy string for you? Good luck.
    Or, through reputable online dealers, if you do a search. I would rather save $300 after 30 min of search, rather than beating myself up over and over for over 1 year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both LB and p@p@k have valid point. It is just metter of headache vs money issue. I feel bad for p@p@k that he can not find great deal to save him even more money in Europe. Can you find anyone who goes to HK or SE asia every year to buy string for you? Good luck.
    But its realy not a headache at all and I never had a problem with too short string at the end, not even once. I must say that I didnot begin to string with that lenght but lowered through time and get to this numbers over few months. Btw U can always make mistake meassuring in 10m reel too if You do 2 piece striging and I must say that I did cut wrong 2 times 10m reels when I was cutting that plastic thing that hold the string together.

Also the difference beetween 500m reel and 50 times 10m reel is very big here in my country. 500m reel around 140€ and 10m reel 5€ (50x5=250€). Now add this number to my prevous post and U will see why I use 500m reel. Also, and maybe I am wrong, I think that big 200m or 500m reels a made for stringers and 10m reels for players. I mean its more practic to have a 500m string on reel rather than 50 plastic bags around the house .

P.S. Can You tell me how much do you pay BG65 in 10m and 500m?
    Last edited by p@p@k; 04-26-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pay $3.75 USD for BG65 10m pack (I have to order 20 packs) and $70 USD for 200m reel. That is why the difference is min for me. And yes, 200m pack will give me 22 racquets if I am very careful with it. So you are right also that I can string extra 2 racquets. I have both packs and reel for different racquet. Also, reel usually only come in white...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pay $3.75 USD for BG65 10m pack (I have to order 20 packs) and $70 USD for 200m reel. That is why the difference is min for me. And yes, 200m pack will give me 22 racquets if I am very careful with it. So you are right also that I can string extra 2 racquets. I have both packs and reel for different racquet. Also, reel usually only come in white...
    I can't say better than this any more. Guess the choices are made by each stringer, based on his/her preference and the price difference in deals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2