rushing the net after a drop

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dkroft, Apr 2, 2006.

1. dkroft

dkroft Regular Member

student
    I haven't gotten a chance to try out this strategy, but I've never really seen people use it, so I'm wondering where the crucial flaw is.

After making a decent drop shot to the center, provided that the opponent is not already in position and has to get there, why not approach the net?

-If both of you are close to the center, no matter how wide they try to place the responding drop shot, you can push it if it's more than a couple inches over the net, and they're toast. If it's a good drop, you're in position to respond with a lift or a drop, to at least continue the rally.

-If they try to lift it over your head, you can just make an overhead net shot. They will not be able to hit it over your head because both of you are close to the net; if they hit it with enough angle to make it over your head, then it won't go past midcourt and you're in perfect position for a smash.

As long as your reflexes are good enough, I don't see any problems with this tactic. Is there something I'm missing? Because I don't see this kind of thing used in regular singles play.

2. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

At a high enough level if you drop to the center they will spin it everytime making it hard to lift or kill, or push you around. Also at a high enough level unless you roll it they will kill the net shot or lift it all the way back.

Every tactic like this depends on the level you play at. Suggestion for this idea tho, fake a clear and hit the drop or slice.

3. dkroft

dkroft Regular Member

student

What do you mean by roll and spin? Are they the same thing? I think I have a vague idea, but clarification would be good.

4. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

This tactive may work once or twice but can you seriously hit every lift back at them with a overhead shot?

Also if Im hearing you correctly, both of you are standing near the net and near the center meaning your oppenent is ion the exact same position as you and could do the same exact move you are doing to them so its like falling for your own trap.. also it is not hard to hit flat shots towards someones face when your are so close to the net so its not only a drop or clear they could do.

5. dkroft

dkroft Regular Member

student
    to xkenji:

-Maybe not every time, but I would very likely hit more of the overheads than they could hit lifts.

-Yes, we'd be standing in the same place, but the reason they couldn't use my tactic on me would be that I would be on the offensive; they'd be hitting the shuttle upward, whereas I would be hitting it downward. To be sure, they could use that strategy in a different rally, though.

-The only way they'd be able to drive at my face is if they were already at the net for my first drop shot (in which case I would never choose a drop shot anyway, I'd more likely drive it or attacking clear). The idea is that they have to run to hit the initial drop shot, connecting with it well beneath net level, so that their only options are lifting and dropping.

Hopefully that cleared it up for you. I think I see what you mean about falling into my own trap, as in if I hit a bad drop shot, then they would be able to drive it into my face. But hopefully I can hit a little more consistently than them.

6. Eurasian =--(O)

roll is when the bird hits the tape and rolls over. spin is just spinning the bird at the net.

tactics like this sound ok when you talk about them but when applied usually are not as effective as you might have originally hoped.

7. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

Well that does clear some things up but what I meant by them hitting a flat shot back is when after the first drop and both of you are standing in the same position. If you are able to score the point while still pressuring them and being on the offesive thats alright but after around maybe 2 or 3 shots and you still didnt score, they would most likely be slicing it the way ayou are doing to them so now you are faced with your own tactic.

By this time lifting it wouldnt be too hard since you are busy retriving the drops etc but then again you could also recover with a lift if you fail to gain a point before they start attacking back.

8. dkroft

dkroft Regular Member

student
    ^^ain't that the truth.

Well, I'll give my strategy a shot; I'm not playing at a very high level yet, neither are my opponents, so maybe it will work. Thanks though for giving me those tips and such.

9. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

lol why didnt you say that sooner? If you are not playing at too high a level this tactic should work prety good considering your oppenents are around the same lvl as you so the match should be even then since you have a plan you should have a bit of the advantage but remember not to use the same move over and over again coz it becomes predictiable after a short while.

10. Eurasian =--(O)

at lower levels consistency will win it for you everytime.