3 Weeks Before Tournament

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Darma Sucipto, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

hi there...
    i have an important tourney in 3 weeks times starting from today onwards. the tournament is 24 april. just want to ask some opinion what to do to prepare me for the tournament well. phisically and mentally..
    i am now currently training 6 times a week, monday to saturday. and on sunday, i will normally just play some games. so it is like 7 times a week in the court. during the weekdays, i push myself everyday.
    so its now left another 3 weeks to the tourney. so what should i do in 3 weeks time? continue hard training? reduce some trainings? etc? just to ask some opinion :D .. thanks for replying!!

2. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Of course this is somewhat individual so it's hard for any of us to know (your body).

But I train as usual until the last week and then take it easier the last seven days. Then I'll start to stock up a little extra (more than normal) on carbs. (pasta or your personal pref.) and waterbalance. Important that you start way in time, min 4-5 days before, no use to prop only the day before.

I'll do the last *hard* playing session about 5-6 days before tournament starts, preferably against an opponent about the same level or slightly better than what to expect in the competition. Just to check my form. Am I fit enough? (speed and stamina). Are my strokes and aim - "court feeling" as it should? Usually I do this with a friend and we play two matches = min 4 -max 6 sets.

Then I'll might do an easy ("recreational") game 3 days before to keep the touch, but save some energy (double/mixed 3 sets). I definitly take a complete rest the two last days or just do *very easy* technique trainings (drops, netshots, backhand).

YMMV / mats

3. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    funny you should mention this, i actually bave a tourny this friday which i am playing in and i have to agree with wirre, i to trained hard for the weeks leading up to this week and now i havnt played hardcore havnt trained hardcore have just been taking it easy. i will play at school badminton but wont be trying hard mainly to just make sure i still have the feel and my technique is good dont want to waste that energy. and very important is to stock up on carbs well before the tourny...you need the energy and that will pay off but its not something you can do the day or night before...you have to start 5-6 days before.

So in the end take it easy the last week, theres nothing stopping you from training hardcore cause you know your body better than any of us would but just make sure that you dont injure yourself and know when enough is enough for the day. well good luck with your training and wish you the best of luck in your tournament.

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    I forgot to say this and was just thinking about it for anybody else reading this thread or for yourself, If your playing in a tourny and know what shuttles are going to be used make sure that your training using those shuttles this way when you start playing in the tourny you are already use to them and dont have to adapt your game to them.