Carlton grips, factory grips with raised ridge

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Brett, May 2, 2001.

1. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Hey Carlton owners,

As I await receiving my AB900 from Carlton (should be here in less than two weeks!!!), I started thinking about the grip on this racquet. I really like the way that Carlton has a raised, stitched ridge on the grip that makes for a lot more secure and trusty grip than with a regular Yonex factory grip (I think Winex and several other brands feature this ridge in their grips as well). I am thinking about using an overwrap grip tape on this handle to give a bit tackier feel when sweaty, and to preserve the factory grip and handle.

Do any of you use overwrap on your Carltons? Does it eliminate the feel of the ridge on the factory grip?

If you don't use an overwrap grip, how long will the factory grip last? What about replacing the factory grip - how easy is that? Seems like it would only take a few more minutes to replace with a new original grip than just applying the overgrip - is that right? How much do Carlton factory original grips cost? Where can one purchase those original grips in the U.S.? Can I use a different brand's original grip to replace the factory-installed original?

Thanks for your input.

2. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Brett,

I would suggest u to try out Yonex aerotec replacement grips. Sincerely speaking
    i think u should preserve the Orginal grip on the carlton. I think carlton comes in
    3 1/4 grip size. That is too small. So i think u might have to put atleast one over grip.

If u are looking of rthe best replacement orginal grip then buy the Babolat ATP tour grip.

If u are looking for a very tacky Overgrip then Go in for the "WHAT A GRIP!" Grip

I think the what a grip costs abt 3.5 USd and available in all good tennis stores.

By the way it does not take one over grip to remove the feel of the ridges. U might need more.

I think the ridges are a great feel but unfortunately as the normal grip size is too small i have to end up using 4 or 5 over grips.

Best of luck

3. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    I'm a vendor for such grips if you're interested Brett... just let me know.
    Only they aren't made by Carlton... they're made by another company.

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I too like the Carlton factory grips. I would definitely keep it. Although I have very big hands, I don't like to add too much to the original handle as I find my "finger play" gets worse. I just use a thin Prince tacky overgrip, which I replace frequently. You know this already, but avoid grips with adhesive -- it will stick partially to the original grip...

I had to replace the original grip on my old Aerogear 1000FX (I didn't use an overgrip back then so it finally completely lost its tackiness) and it worked fine. The original grip is lightly glued to the wooden handle, and I got a bit worried when I started pulling it off because I was pulling off quite a few splinters... I replaced it with a Babolat grip -- don't remember which one, but it was similarly stitched and raised.

One thing to think about: when you add the overgrip, do pay some extra attention to where you put the "overlap". Having the overlapping right over the original ridges or between them makes quite a difference, even though the overgrip is thin. I prefer to accentuate the ridges by having the overlap on them.

5. Jeff

Jeff Guest

i loved the factory grip myself. but i noticed i needed one more over grip, to get the feeling for my hand. i used Yonex Super Grap, it is just like any other grip, a little sticky, but when it absorbed the sweat, it was feeling a lot stranger everyday. I noticed the stitching part where it rises starting to get in my way, and kind of irritate my thumb. I took over the factory grip, and put on 1 yonex grap to replace, and another to overgrip. It feels better for me now.

6. Brett

Brett Regular Member

My AB 900 came in last week and I put my usual overgrip (Prince DuraTred - it's the best I've tried) on, trying to wrap the grip as Mag suggested to emphasize the ridges. I can still feel the stitched ridges and it works great.

7. harry

harry Guest

where can you get the duratred prince grip? or order one? i wanna try it cos i loved the prince original grips and hopefully this duratred can do something similar

8. Brett

Brett Regular Member

The Prince DuraTred overgrip is very widely available in the US wherever better tennis racquets are sold; I would imagine they should be similarly available in Canada. I usually buy mine at the Sports Authority, a national sporting goods superstore. They cost US $4.99 for a three pack and come in a variety of colors, including fluorescent yellow, black, royal blue, bright green, purple, gray and olive-gray. The DuraTred model has a very light zig-zag pattern or tread on the outside face of the grip, but it performs very similarly to Prince's other Dura - line grips which have either perforations or are plain.

If you can't find it locally, pick up a copy of Tennis magazine at your local library and look in the ads in the back - most of those mail order retailers should have these grips in stock.

9. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hey brett, you've probably solved this problem already - but i think you can buy these grips of central sports now :)

cheers,

Neil

10. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

since i had trouble finding the carlton grips, i ended up giving black knights competition grip a try. its almost identical!!

and yes, overgrips should work fine. i use yonex supergrap over it, and theres no problems at all! the carlton ridged grips are awesome :)

11. aznricearoni

aznricearoni Regular Member

Also,

Wilson Contour is exactly the same, except is a little more cushiony [~1mm]. Something to consider, where I live, Wilson grips are abundant supply.