1 week till tourney

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by xkenji, Apr 4, 2006.

1. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

The situation is that I am a 17 year old highschool player who hasnt played for over a year and Originaly played singles. So at the tryouts and practices for the team i tried for singles and was doing alright but not as good as I wanted. So finally after a few practices i got better and used to singles again.

Then today the coach suddenly switched me to play doubles... which I dont blame since i was not doing extremely well in singles eventho I got better and she didnt see me play yet. Anyways So now im playing doubles and me and my partner have 2 more practices to get to know eachother be4 the tournament.

We play pretty good together, me being in the front and him back and even managed to win against the other doubles from our team. But our positioning is very messed up. We tried many things but We both just dont no how eachother play. In the end we did this awkwards formation where I stay front like 99 percent of the time even when he is serving. It worked quite well but it would not be very effective against higher lvl playersSO is there any other formations that would work for me and him? or any suggestions?

The problem is that Im a singles player and I think he might also be one, so we both cover the court well, maybe a bit too well and we run to the bird and we both dont no who would hit it and when we do out oppenent would hit it to the empty side of the court. Our singles mindset is screwing us up. Our formation works and stops this but I think we shouldnt rely on it and use another way of playing for backup. (ps out formation is not as simple as me staying up front.. but Its too hard to explain the rest. Basicly im always up there)

#1 xkenji, Apr 4, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  2. carlos

carlos Regular Member

Local Government Pleb
    You just need time to develop a game rhytm.

You're seeing where duobles is more difficult to play than singles IMO. You have to pick your shots and know when to leave them.

Stick to the basics and take it from there.

3. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    yah try the common tatic first, if whenever u or yr parnter go into offence, then the other player take the net and fall back to side as soon as one of u hit a clear or a bad return and play defence. Usually its rather clear this way the most often confusion comes when the other side smash to the middle and u have to first decide who's taking the middle shots before hand.

4. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    I think that you standing 99 percent could be good...practice your net play...
    I guess when you are defending...dont stand you know...just beside each other..i think one should stand a little bit back...
    then...if you keep on practicing with that other double team...then maybe u n yer mate might just aswell figure each other out.

5. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

Well my net play is excellent or at least my coach says that. I told her of this problem and she said it doesnt seem like a very good idea that i stay front all the time but if it works do it.

We tried the common tactic with front and back offensive and side the side defensive but It didnt seem too work that well. Esp the side to side part. By the time we finally switch the smash is already flying towards us so yea. Which is why we used the odd formation of me front him back always no matter wat. It works but him being back all the time is hard since he would run more than me i guess and have to hit harder. In a long game he might tire out.

6. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    If you're going to be back and front almost ALL THE TIME, you must come up with a rotation system. I remember watching the Athens Games (we dont get much badminton coverage here in Australia), and Huang (partnered with Gao) got stuck at the back while Zhang/Yang just kept clearing.. she eventually ran outta petrol! So you gotta switch, even for a few rallies, just so your partner can catch his breath. Its difficult to play accurate shots when you're drained of energy.

Front/back all the time is an easy picking for smashes down the line

7. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

True which is why I wanted some tips/suggestions on other playing styles. Im sure my partner will get tired out on the tournament day since there will be some high lvl competitors. Last practive had two straight games, winning both 2-0, and 2-0 so 4 games to 15 together and I was still alright. He looked fine too. We play pretty fast points that end around at most 5-6 shots before the rally ends.

I think it might be a good idea for me to start the first 5 points as playing normal back and front so we can test our oppenents and give my partner a break. Then use our full back/front formation afterwards. Smash defense may be a small problem however. Need to work on that side to side switch up or another way to blk those.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Obviously you both have found a combination that works for both of you.

Yes, there will be difficulties as you have forseen.

Are there any quick fixes? I don't think so. It takes time and experience to work out how to play. Being 'messed up' is a learning process. I'd say perserve with changing positions in practice but expect it to take time and be patient with it.

Losing in practice is fine if you are trying out unfamiliar or uncomfortable tactics.

9. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    i think you guys need to communicate during the game. i have this difficulty as well. i get out of it by yelling side-side or front-back.

10. chessymonkey

comp tech
    maybe if u'r doing front back constandly, u at the front can try take more coverage then just the net. But i think u have to be really fast to be able to do it like how pro covers it. If u watch some newer video and u'll notice the guy at the front stand much furhter back then what we saw in the old days
    when the back guy goes into smashing. He's almost like merely 2 step in front of the guy at the back who's smashing. The guy at front literally take care of all the net and all mid court half decent return. Helps the back guy a lot into focusing on attack to force a half decent return then the front guy kills it.
    But i would imagine it is a LOT of effort for the front guy.

11. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

Yea I think I will try that next practice, cover a bit more of the mid court that normal. And we are trying to communication thing also. had take about our playing style after practice today and After not doing so good this time with our constant front and back, we started talking etc.

The problem we had today was that when the oppenent was serving to him, and its a short serve my partner has to be kinda up close to the net to hit it back and if we do the constant front back thing, the entire back is empty at the serve receive. So we tried a couple ways to eliminate that weak point, things like I stay back a bit longer till we switch into constant front/back but we end up losing points because we are moving too much, and getting confused attempting to get into formation. We also try something like, right after he hits it he runs back immediately and i cover front right away. That worked but same thing, at the very beginning while we are still just finishing the switch, we are a bit confused and unprepared.

What we are trying next week is we play normal back and front and try to get a good shot in so we have time to switch. I would call Switch and we switch as fast as possible or something. The main reason I have to play front is coz hes so tall that him inthe front is hard and I cant see as well being alot shorter.

12. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    This reminds me of playing mixed doubles, with the stronger smasher (normally the guy) always being at the back.

13. chessymonkey

comp tech
    I believe u do have to wait for a good opening to move back into the normal front back position when the "destinated back" guy is taking a net shot.
    usually it shouldn't take too long cos naturally when u and yr partner r reversed.. chances r he'll be forced to fall back to left/right and play a few defensive shots in no time.."assuming that u'r weaker at the back" then the next chance u switch back to front back postion from sides u can take the net and things will be back to normal. I don't think u can be 100% front back formation at all time or u'll just be wellcoming all sorts of side line to side line attacks.. So the next side -> frontback swtich will fix yr position problem
    exactly like u see in those mix double videos, there r times the lady will fall back to sides to play a few defence shots then rush the net as soon as a chance come up.

14. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Hey kenji... are you preparing for the Regionals/Metro to qualify for OFSSA?

Anyway, I'm kind of in the same situation, but we both made a commitment to play a lot with each other. We even joined tournaments together so we could play with each other more, and now it's paying great dividends.

At first, I was also stuck in the front 99% of the time, so our defense was extremely weak. Now, we are finally getting the side-by-side formation right, and we're rarely out of position to recieve a smash, its just either too good of a smash or our reaction that makes us lose points, otherwise our defense is better than when we always stuck to front and back. I hope you and your partner won't stop trying to co-ordinate.

15. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

i wish i could play like you right now but theres only umm one more practice till the tournament! yea our defence is what we need to work on, everything else is great. Im not sure what OFSSA is since i just moved to the toronto area. All i know is that the top 4 from every division, that is like singles division, doubles etc, get to go the ROBSA or something like that.

Well i have thought of a couple of new ways we can try playing and see if that will work but got to wait till monday so i can try them out. I dont no how hard the tournament is going to be since like i said eariler, i just moved here so yea, but some of the members in my team said we should be able to get top4 for doubles easily but im still not that confident yet.

16. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    yeah it sounds like us except I don't know what ROBSA is... but for us, we have regionals where top 4 get to go to the metros, and then top 4 qualify for ofssa.

17. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

My Tournament was today... and unfortunately I ended up 6th out of around 16-20 something double teams, But im 100 percent sure we were at least top 4 until we got cheated of the position

Here is the summary
    - Male doubles was last event so we had to wait like over an hour for our game.. and It turns out we have a Bye (We automaticly win and advance), coz I think last year our school was first seed for this toruney but alot of ppl had byes. Maybe 1/4 of the teams there had a bye game for their first match.

- So after waiting for almost 2 hours and just sitting on the crowded brench me and my partner got super tired/bored/cooled down (not warmed up). When we finally got to play we made so many horrible mistakes.. but slowy did better. Too bad we lost out first match already..

- So with one free advancement and one lost, we end up in the constallation matches where if you lose any more games you are out of the tourney. And we have to play over double the games we would play if we were in the normal matches. Everyone who lost one game goes to the constallation matches.

- There we won 5 or 6 game straight but still needed 1 more win to become top 4 who advance to the next tourney. And on that game... Im 100 percent sure i hit it in but our cheater oppenents called it out. Later we got a line judge but they already won by 3 points. Constallation matches are one set up to 21... so it was 21-18 and they cheated over 3 times.

- So we got majorly pissed and go and play the 5th place match which turns out to be the same oppenents we played in our very first match. This time we did alot better and lost 21-17 so we became 6th place. Altho our game did get effected somewhat in the first 10 points of the match by our anger etc. They were 8? points ahead of us and we caught up.

- How ever my partner was dropping school soon so either way I wouldnt be able to advance to ROBSSAA even if we made the top 4 which we would have at least made. Pretty sure we were top 3 or 4th team there.

#17 xkenji, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006