Choong Hann wants Thomas Cup

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by terry, Apr 4, 2006.

1. terry

terry Regular Member

FORMER national champion Wong Choong Hann hopes to end his playing career on the ultimate high — winning the Thomas Cup in Japan.

The Thomas Cup will be played in Sendai and Tokyo, Japan from April 28- May 7.

"This will probably be my last Thomas Cup campaign," said Choong Hann, who took the silver medal in the men’s singles at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games. "Although I have another two or three years of competitive badminton left in me, I do not see myself playing in the next Thomas Cup campaign."

Choong Hann readily admits that with age catching up on him, he would soon lose his status as one of the top players in the country. "We have so many young talented players who are making the grade at youth level competitions, and I am sure they will be at their best within the next few years," said the 29-year-old. The left-handed Choong Hann has never won the Thomas Cup but came close in the 1998 and 2002 editions when Malaysia finished runners-up to China on both occasions.

But he is confident Malaysia can win the Thomas Cup in Tokyo in view of the form and recent results of his team-mates and himself. "In the past, we were either strong in the singles or doubles but now we have a balanced team," he said.

This will be the first time Choong Hann will be playing second singles since making his debut in the 1998 Thomas Cup in Hong Kong as a reserve. He played first singles in the 2000, 2002 and 2004 campaigns.

Choong Hann also said that his fitness and playing style have been getting better day-by-day under coach Li Mao.

"He (Li Mao) has been working out new strategies under the new 21-point system," Choong Hann disclosed. Malaysia are grouped with England and the United States, and if they top the group, will meet either Indonesia or Korea in the quarter-finals.

The squad comprising Lee Chong Wei, Hafiz Hashim, Kuan Beng Hong, Chan Chong Ming, Koo Kien Keat, Choong Tan Fook, Lee Wan Wah, Hoon Thien How, Tan Boon Heong and Choong Hann leave today for Kuching for a two-week training stint.

2. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

Malaysia better hope not to face China in the elimination round if they want to win the Thomas Cup. China can beat Malaysia alone with singles.

WCH must also remember there weren't much strong competition for Malaysia at the Commonwealth Games and the Asian Championships. But it would be great to see him lift the Thomas Cup.

3. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

China is group at the upper half and malaysia at lower half, they will meet only in final.

4. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

If China meets Malaysia in the final,

Lin Dan vs Lee CW ( 50% : 50%)
    Chen Hong vs Wong CH ( 50% : 50% )
    Chen Jin vs Hafiz ( 55% : 45%)
    Cai/Fu vs CCM/KKK (45% : 55%)
    Any Pair vs Lee WW/ Choong TF (40% : 60% )

In fact, I would rather say Lee CW should be able to beat Lin Dan this time base on current form and 21 points system.:D

5. rwchen

rwchen Regular Member

I remembered when Yang Yang coached Malaysia's MS back in 1992, Malaysia toppled China in the semi final. Zhao Jian Hua was beaten by Rashid Sidek in the first single and that crucial point brought Malaysia into the final and Malaysia went on to beat Indonesia winning the Thomas Cup. Will history repeat this time? Lee Chong Wei leads Malaysia to the winning path..Let's see this in month's time.

6. alloh

alloh Regular Member

1) Yes. I would say LCW will beat LD at current form with 21 scoring system, but it all depend on the psychological of LCW.
    2) I don't think WCH can beat either CH or BCL
    3) CJ or BCL can beat Malaysian 3rd Singles (Hafiz or KMH) easily.
    4) Cai/Fu vs CCM/KKK I would say 50:50
    5) No doubt, LWW/CTF can beat Chinese 2nd MD.

So, If CHN vs MAS in Final, the chance would be 50:50 for each. And the 1st MS would be the winning key for both team.

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

How much 'the certainty degree' of MAS to being TC-06 finalist??Honestly, as we know I don't think MAS can be easily pass semifinal match vs DEN. Their quality is same so their probability to win is 50:50. It's different for CHN team will meet INA or KOR in SF. On the paper, obviously the quality of KOR and INA is one level below both MAS and DEN. Sorry to say, the drawing is disadvantage for MAS and DEN which must be clashed in 'big-four match'--the two giants fighting (extremely very tight) in one step earlier and the other side CHN just waiting one of them (that get fatigue at all in SF). Don't forget in 1992,MAS grab TC in its homeground with its very fanatic supporters. And this year TC will be held in Tokyo not KL, my friend...

8. alloh

alloh Regular Member

Sorry... I don't mean MAS could win the TC. And Malaysian Team even not officially announce that MAS is going to bring back the TC this year. I just compare CHN vs MAS in case these two team meet up. The only way both of them meet up is only in Final.

So far INA & DEN officially announced want to bring back TC. CHN working hard to defend the title.

For me.... Dennish Team has great chance with 2 strong MS & 1 strong MD. I think they could take 2 points from their MD, no matter who is their oppenent. Just hope another point from Peter or Kenneth.

Anyhow, CHN, DEN, INA & MAS are ability to bring back TC this year.

9. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

China is the clear favourite to win. If there is any team to challenge them it will be Denmark. Gade and Jonassen must be in top form and win their matches. The doubles look good for Denmark.

Indonesia, without Taufik, have no chance to even come close to the finals.

I say most likely the encounter of the tournament will be China vs Denmark, whether they will meet in the finals or in the semi's.

10. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

If Denmark meet Malaysia in the semifinal,

Peter Gade vs Lee CW ( 45% :55% ) - Peter always lost to Lee CW
    Kenneth Jonnasen vs Wong CH ( 40% : 60% ) - KJ always lost to Wong
    Kaldau vs Hafiz ( 35% : 65% ) - slim chance to beat Hafiz or KBH
    1st doubles ( Denmark chances 60% : 40% )
    2nd Doubles ( Malaysia chances 55% : 45% )

It won't be a surprise if Malaysia beat Denmark 3-0 all from Singles, just like they beat Indonesia and South Korea during the Asian Qualifying round.

11. alloh

alloh Regular Member

Yes, I agree with Chu Liu Xiang (Woowww... are you really Chu Liu Xiang? heheheh...)
    I think MAS could beat Denmark but not easy. DEN vs MAS may depend on the form of players that time.

BTW, I can see Kenneth has improved now if compare to last TC. On last TC2004, when KJ vs Taufik, we could see Taufik just let KJ flying left right on the court.

12. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I think KJ peaked in 05 WC. He was really in great form then, but unfortunately Taufik also peaked.

This year I think KJ is going downhill. Beaten by LD soooo easily. Much slower than before.

13. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

My predictions

Mas - Chn.

1. LCW - LD 45-55. LCW is very very fast on average, however LD accelerates superhumanly and therefore LD's attack is much more unpredictable. That has troubled LCW all the time.

2,3.WCH/Hafiz/KBH - CH/BCL/CJ. 45 - 55. WCH is old. Hafiz is lazy. KBH, I have watched only one game of his, against BCL, he has the technique and power to match BCL but played kind of too relaxed. I think that's the problem with all MAS MS except WCH and now LCW. They always play in a negative way. Looks like thinking what to do after the match.

4. CCM/KKK - Cai/Fu. 50 - 50. If Cai/Fu is on fire, no one can hold them. In Japan 04 they demolished Kim/Ha in the 2nd game and I have never seen Kim so frustrated, even when he was beaten 15:0 by Tony/Halim. On the other hand, Cai/Fu cannot be on fire all the time. When they return to normal, CCM/KKK will dominate. So it is either 2:1 or 1:2.

5. Guo/Xie (Sang/Zheng) - CTF/LWW. 40 - 60. Nothing to say about this one.

So overall I think Chn has slight advantage.

14. alloh

alloh Regular Member

I 99.99% agree with ye333~!

15. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

what about the 0.01%? :p :p :p

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Looks like all points to a MAS vs CHN final. Indeed based on Malaysia's current form this may be the best year to win back the TC.

The singles undoubtedly will be the most crucial as the order of play features them first followed by the first doubles and finally, the last but all important, deciding second doubles, if it ever comes down that far for either country to win the Cup.

It will be a most shaky start if the first two singles are lost. At all cost, at least one of the three singles must be won.

If indeed Malaysia is able to win one of the singles, I think the subsequent two doubles will favour it rather than China. Rexy has done a lot of excellent work so far for the Malaysians. It will be a dream start for Malaysia if LCW is able to beat LD and the odds are high that he can, as it will contribute an enormous pychological boost for the rest of the Malaysian team.

This will be the most exciting match of the entire TC tournament as Indonesia, even with Taufik, is unlikely to change the course of history! :D

17. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    This goes without saying for every team in every match of the Thomas and Uber Cup. :)

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Just a 'strategic' reminder, in case people are carried away that losing the first two singles is still alright: "we still have our third singles". :rolleyes:

19. qwertyu

qwertyu Regular Member

Denmark and Malaysia are at their best compared to previous few entries. China's remain the same, slightly diasdvantaged now since the other teams had improved. Indonesia on the other hand the weakest in many years.

20. jesminekia

jesminekia Regular Member

My predictions for TC 2006 is CHN VS MAS in final match....of course i support MALAYSIA...yeahhh!!!!!And me sure that the 1st single match is the main point to decide who is the winner at last......According to the performance LCW recently i have confidence on him.......I wish that he can really beat LD this time and bring back the TC for us this time......So all the best to the MALAYSIA Team.......hehehe!!!!!!!!