Coping with different MS strategies

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ixiaohoui, Apr 5, 2006.

1. ixiaohoui

ixiaohoui Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys,

I've been frequenting these boards for awhile now. Recently I've been thinking about a particular situation in mens singles that I've had trouble finding a solution to.

The general flow of singles that I've grasped so far is that one waits for the opponent to present an opening through successive clears, drops, etc. However, during a singles game, our best singles lost to what my team described as "rapid offensive clears", which prevented our man from setting up an offensive. From that, its difficult to smash or drop, so it ends up having to be a drive or clear, both of which leaves our guy vulnerable.

My question is, how would he change the flow of this game to force his opponent to slow down and play out our guy's terms. Also, are there actual drills to make backward movement faster? When I mean drills, I'd like something that allows you to remain offensive, which probably means something that is an extremely fast burst backwards.

Thanks a lot for reading this guys.

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well for that stickey situation there are multiple solutions: drop, drive or clear.
    At lower level a clear to the opponentn backhand could suffice. at higher level it'll be more difficult, btu then your court coverage will be sufficient.

If one was very, very kene to get the offence. drop such a rapid clear. It mgiht get you in a stikcy situation, but you could gain teh attack, if one were good enough at netplay.

For drills for moving back: Try to focus on speed. do mulitple shuttle drills. rally-type drills wont work since you'll automatically tone down the speed and up the accuracy. So get 12 shuttle and have the fed to a backcorner, an front corner, and a cross-back-corner. then another front corner, a back corner a back-cross corner. after 12 shuttles you SHOULD be very tired, else you ahvent doen it fast enough.

The adavntage of multipl-eshuttle is that you don't have to hit it across the net to kepe moving: more freedom, more speed.

3. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

If he keeps getting pressured from successive attacking clears, then it sounds like his base is too far forward.

Wayne

4. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

If the guy clears over and over again just stay at the back... cheat to where he hits most often. Then when your in good position which wouldn't be hard if your anticipating jump smash down the line or cross court slice or pump clear, I LOVE people who clear all the time because they are easier to predict.

5. ixiaohoui

ixiaohoui Regular Member

Student
    I don't think he's edging too close to the net. I think what the opponent was doing was doing offensive clears in response to a drops and drives. What I could eventually beat our guy was the fact that he was getting dragged along with his opponent's pace.

6. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

In that case, he's not keeping his racquet up. Happens a lot. People remember that racquet up is important in doubles, but forget about it in singles. After playing a decent shot to the net, one should not be able to drive the shuttle pass you if one remembers to "look" for that shot.

In more general terms, players who like a fast paced game don't generally like to wait for the shuttle. Slow them down with high, high clears, disrupt their timing with half smashes, play around the net where possible, etc

Wayne

7. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

Ok so this person clears everything to the back and its hard for the opposing player, your team member to hit it back well? First of all i notice ppl who use the constant clearing hit it out alot esp when their oppenents are already back at the baseline and they are trying to keep them there.

An easy counter for this can be cross court clear it back and like you said he would clear back most of the time, but this time your ready since you just cleared it, and go for a fake-smash slice drop to one of the corners. Make it so they have to use their backhand to return it. The backhand is limited to how many types of shots you can do so its either gonna be a clear or a drop. Get ready and then start clearing it back just like what he did to you or go for a fast net game. or whatever you want to do then.

8. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    Couldn't agree more! Change the pace of the game by adding time here, lessening time there.

9. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Hi ixiaohui, you started on the right track, footwork and speed is definetely a problem here. Just to make sure that you know, there is two parts to footwork, the moving to the corner and the moving back to the centre. If your player have good footwork, then practice running forward, backward and side ways, scissors legs and also zig zagging forward and backward. But you must do them as fast as you can. On top of this, you can also do footwork practice at higher speed.

After you think you've improved on your speed, you can try random multiple shuttle feeding. The feeder must be fast though but not too fast. Basically the feeder have to know the player's rythm and speed, then work slightly faster than that to push the person to get used to the new rythm and speed. Never do something that is too fast for the player, otherwise he'll be practicing all the wrong footwork and motion. That's unwanted. I hope this helps :)