Anyone else's skin is peeling off the foot?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Lin Dan-Fan, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Lin Dan-Fan

Lin Dan-Fan Regular Member

Well i use a 25$ prince shoe to play badminton, its horrible but thats all i have. I jsut broke my AT800 so i have no money for new shoes, need new racket. Today some think i've been expecting happened, i went home took off my shoe and discovered a 1inch long and almost as wide piece of foot skin hanging from the area below my big right toe. Its kind of like a dry blister, my foot skin is very thick so it doesnt hurt but the piece that peeled off is like 1mm thick. Since i cannot get new shoe does anyone have any advice to prevent this, i play number 2 for high school and cannot miss my game. Please help because i think if i play with out doing anythign about it the area will actually bleed.

2. aquaboi

aquaboi Regular Member

wow, that's a big piece my friend. sounds awful:eek: i assume you've removed the skin and cleaned the wound. best you could do for now is clean it again then tape it. and maybe wear thicker socks. that's what i would do. hope this helps.

3. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    wear two layers of socks? I always wear two layers of 1/4 length socks. You can usually find a pair of high quality cycling socks (thin layer) for the inner socks, and for the outer layer a regular pair of socks will do.

4. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

student/ working in sport shop/ stringing
    it happens to me as well, when i first wear a new pair of badminton shoes or get new insoles my feet are absolutely fine but after a couple of months when they are worn down i get blisters and dead skin all over my feet. i have heard over people saying that thy get the same problem. i don't really want to spend £10 a month for new insoles!!

any advice?

5. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Lin Dan-Fan, I have just recovered from my initial reaction. You have to understand that I was having breakfast when reading your thread.

You could do what CanuckBur said and wear to layers. Alternatively, if the blister is cause by sweat, you could change your socks half way through the session.

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

What do you think has caused the problem with your foot?
    Is your foot moving about inside the shoe too much?
    This could be because
    1 the shoes are too big
    2 you are wearing socks that are too thin
    3 you play for too long with socks that have become damp with sweat.

If 1, you should get new shoes that fit properly and get a cheaper racquet.

If 2, get better socks, you can get socks with extra padding under the ball of the foot(e.g. Thorlos, Karakal X2)

If 3, change them during sessions

7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

You might want to try applying some vaseline on the parts of your foot that get rubbed the most to reduce friction.

8. setaa

setaa Regular Member

i think it's perfectly normal.. i been having something like that since like elementary school cuz i played badminton and soccer alot (and sometimes only with sandals or bare feet :D). it's mainly caused by friction like stumblingfeet said and rapid change of movement. no it won't bleed.. at least it has not happened to me.

9. Zachariah

Zachariah Regular Member

I have a slightly different problem: The fourth toe on each foot (the one next to the little toe) takes a pounding and is very tender after each session. Just recently I've noticed slight bleeding under the end of the toenail.

Apologies for grossing anyone out...I think it might be either odd-shaped feet (long and narrow with very long toes) or my shoes are slightly too big.

10. Lin Dan-Fan

Lin Dan-Fan Regular Member

Heh actually it wasnt a wound, my foot skin is very thick so even though the skin peeled off it doesnt hurt to walk on just uncomfortable. What i've been doing is tape a cotton pad over it and put one of those soles thing in my shoe, its doing good so far

11. latte

latte New Member

I've never had skin peeling before, but two of my toenails had been bruised so badly that they turn deep purple, dies, and completely came off altogether (after about 6 months).. Of course there's a new toenail that grew out, but it took half a year.. It looked really odd and attracted a lot of attention when I wore sandals in the summer :( .. Just wondering if there's anyone else who's in this "toenail regeneration club"? I wear Hi-tec indoor court shoes for badminton... maybe my feet are moving around too much when I play..

12. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    When your toe nail starts to bleed/bruise/is growing out then it's caused by one of 2 factors:
    1) your toe is scrunched against the front of your shoe (shoe is not big enough)
    2) your feet are moving within your shoe b/c it is not tied tight enough causing your toes to ram against the front of the shoe.

13. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!

Happened to me too!:)

Make sure your toe nails are not to long! exspecially the big toe.

14. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

For the skin peeling one, you should but a pair of thicker socks. Two thing socks are good, but if you're not used to it, and don't have time to get used to it, one thick sock is better. You could also get a cotton ring thing. >.<. Its a ring of cotton, with a hole in the middle. This puts more pressure on the skin around the wound, and less preassure on the actual wound.

wun.sun

15. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Thanks for all the advise, guys. After reading this thread, i decided to go and buy myself a new pair of shoe, SHB-89MG, and new pair of thick socks. Now, my skin is not peeling off anymore. :)

But I get bruise on my big toe nail and it hurt after my last social games. :mad: I will take DarthHowie advise and tighten my shoe lace more and see if it helps.

16. DutchRion

DutchRion Regular Member

Student
    I also had the same problem as Lin-Danfan....... with nearly any shoe.
    I tend to have just like you very thick foot skin etc, by playing sports very puch and pushing myself to the limit most of the time on the court.

When i do this, some minor skin gets loose (common for anyone here i guess) but when i just have new shoes, i tend to get the same thing as you (very thick and big skin peels of, and sometimes a plister right on the spot you said yours was. After some weeks/month my shoe is ''played-in'' and i dont get this. I had this with either my shb-99 and shb89 (and another fine yonex shoe a long time ago :p.....

I guess its normal because the shoe first needs to adapt totally to your foot, but if you are playing heavy games while the shoe is brand new, you tend to get (well at least i do :D) those thick skin parts falling off, and sometimes blisters... (usually i see under the big toe where you said it a large white spot (which indicates the skin will come off)..... After some weeks, my skin is grown again, and its even thicker than before!..... so i guess its just a matter of adaption, and of course some regular good sport socks helps to.

Please note im not a real expert, so dont believe everything i say blindly ;)

Greetings,

Rion

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The solution is good shoes and good socks.

I recommend the Thorlos tennis socks. They are expensive, but they last a long time and cushion your feet.

Shoes and socks are more important than rackets ;)

18. DutchRion

DutchRion Regular Member

Student
    yup..... but you do have to look out for shoes without sufficient ankle support, as this is quite dangerous and could get you severe injuries!

19. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    I agree with stumblingfeet. Most runners do this to prevent blistering. Since we're talking about feet, does anyone know what to do with holes in your socks? I've just bought a knew pair last week since all my other pairs have holes. I've started to accumulate alot this month. The socks I just recently bought now have holes at the heel area. This only happens to my right foot (the lunging one). To the mods, do you think I should post this in another thread to make it easier to search?

Keith

20. DutchRion

DutchRion Regular Member

Student
    its fine here, my only tip to you is: buy new ones :p (socks are quite cheap, and they are no matter what you do always bound to get holes in it :p) and to buy pretty good sport socks (you can also tell your ploblem to a shop clerk and tell him your socks keep getting holes, and what to do against it)

Greetings,

Rion