Playing with anger = more power?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by __Lam, Apr 5, 2006.

1. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

is it true that if your really pissed off and play, your smashes get way stronger, your stamina increases, and your technique sharpens alot in some areas and really weaken in other areas, or increase in all? for me when i play pissed i hit super hard smashes and i never get tired, but i think for some people their smashes and drop shots are off because they can't focus properly. but my focus on the other hand is sharper then ever, and there is alot of adrenaline, which makes my reflexes and shots sharper and stronger. so if your one of these players is it a good idea to have someone really piss you off before a match or somethin? lol kind of a stupid question :eek:

2. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    i believe your touch shots get weak and you lose a lot of energy fast. your body will also be very tense which might lead to sore shoulders and back the next day

3. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    It depends on the person. As long as you can focus then you will play better. Such as if I get angry on the court, instead of trying to win a point with a powerful smash I try to notice everything (weaknesses, openings, opponents stamina, ect). If you are the type who gets angry then decides to smash hard a lot, then it may not be good for you.

4. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    i kinda agree...
    I think that there maybe 2 kinds of anger or maybe more or i dont know...

1- first anger is that when you get mad becuz the other guy is running away with the scores, but you think that you are still better than him.

2- the other anger is when, youre shots are so not going it or always going out and u just simply get annoyed with everthing.

I think for the first anger, one you get angry...u're level of play suddenly increases, cuz i guess as u sed, u're producing more heat, more andrenaline, u get more focus towards yer offense. Turning yer game agressive.

the second one wont work, cuz when you think that youre hitting harder shots, actually u r not cuz yer body is really tight...

5. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I once read that some people will focus more when angry but no one can improve performance in a rage.

6. setaa

setaa Regular Member

i tend to get distracted alot and not focusing when i'm angry..

7. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    i dont think anger would be such a good thing, in my case when im angry i tend to go for pure power and well cause im angry so whatever caused it is clouding my mind so basically i can see a decrease in my preformance. from smashes, touch shots, footwork, placement, etc it all seems to be affected. oh well just what i think about it.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    The issue here is whether anger would focuse your concentration or dissipate energy with misguided outbursts. There are different stress responses for each individuals and at different times. There are times when my anger brought clarity to my game and allowed me to move faster/hit harder, but most of the time I get more stiff, tired and frustrated playing with emotional attachment. The real question here is whether you're channelling your emotion so that it 'fires' you up rather than 'burns' you up.

Also note that display of anger meant loss of self-control and self-discipline, and might encourage your opponents even more.

9. setaa

setaa Regular Member

even if it fires you up, it doesn't stay long usually.. at least not for me..

i play with anger == i'm playing soccerminton :p everything goes to the net

10. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!
    Power does not come from being angry. You subconciously put more effort in a shot when angry.

Put that same amount of effort into shots when you are calm, Anger has a negative effect on our rational thought process. The calmer you are the clearer you can think during a game.

11. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

if u are angry u are more likely to make more mistakes and unforced error. Since u most likely wanna finish your opponent as quick as possible :)

12. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    if playing angry works
    then i would easily become a professional player

13. carlos

carlos Regular Member

Local Government Pleb
    When you are angry, your muscles are all tense. You body is working against itself.

You actions are less fluid, you can't react as quickly.

Being aggressive is different though. Especially when it is controlled. Knowing when to turn it on and turn it off is key.

14. nezumi

nezumi Regular Member

when i get pissed i start playing a whole lot better...whether its the fact iv finally realised that i have to play properly or, like whats being said, theres a whole lot more adrenaline and get more focused....but that only happens in doubles. in singles when im annoyed i start playing like s**t really. probably because my singles game isnt anywhere near as good as my doubles and mixed. meh i dunno i dont mind as long as i play as well as i can

15. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    I don't know about other sports, but I don't think getting angry at yourself helps badminton. For one thing, in order to get power, you'll need a loose grip and being angry, your body will tense up. Instead of having a looser grip, you will grip harder and consequently, you will need to waste more energy finding that power by other means.

If anything, being angry could get you less power, not more.

16. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

its different for me, i can control the anger, i actually make the opponent kinda suffer more when im mad and i really actually smash harder lol, its noticable. i think its cause i play for long duration of times (excess 6 hrs each session) and when im tired the smashes get slow, but when i get angry i cant feel the tiredness.

17. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    When you get angry, your body reacts to this by increasing your blood pressure through faster heart beating. This is to supply the rest of the body with more oxygen to help your cells to break down glucose into energy. However due to this most of the time people can't control their movements properly or make irrational mistakes because they can't control this reflex.

In all honesty you play better as long as you remain cool and do not go over the 'tilt' and trigger this reaction but instead playing the same shot you would in the same situation regardless of the circumstances present and just maintaining focus.

18. Radium

Radium Regular Member

Student
    I don't think that anger makes playing better, otherwise you would see top players being angry all the time.

Agression may be different though. I think in doubles and mixed agression is often seen, when players yell on hard smashes etc. I think this is where agression is used at its best, but not anger.

Although in singles I don't think agression or even anger is particularly helpful because although it may give a player a little more speed and strength, we all know that later in that match your are going to be knackered! :p

19. weirdperson

weirdperson Regular Member

lol, got anger problem? watch sw episode iii, watch what happens at the end when anakin gets all piss off:mad: , started to attack at super human speed and gets limbs cuted off because of one mistake.:rolleyes:
    point is, yah, you probably will get more power, but you will also lose great amount of accuracy, you will starting to find that you smashes imcreased power but started to suck at dropping/net play/returning smashes.:crying:
    :D "dont join the darkside":D

20. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!

Too late I joined last week, They had a special for this month only which is no joining fee for new members, and full use of their gym and swimming pool.
    :D