problems with smash, jumping smash and flick serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by llpjlau, Apr 6, 2006.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i am playing in my school team and i am having trouble with smashing. most of my smashes either go straight at the net or just a lack of power. how do i improve on this? btw, how do i do a jumping smash? i dont know when to jump and i dont know how to jump correctly? and how do i counter a flick serve? sometimes i can but sometimes the serve goes behind me. any help and advice would be much appreciated.

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

that's a lot of questions....But here I go:

-Angle is most important in smashes. Keep smashing steep and let the power come when you improve further.
    -if you can't get consequent smahsing when standing, levae of the jumping for now..
    -stand back a little further when receiving. or make sure you're ready to move as fas as possible..

3. carlos

carlos Regular Member

Local Government Pleb
    It all boils down to practice.

• Practice your smash, concentrate on getting your racquet head over the shuttle.
    • Practice your timing for the jump & smash - but if you struggle to do it with feet on the floor, you will struggle to do it mid-air.
    • As for the flick serve return, you may be pre-occupied with attacking the serve, maybe use it as a building block for your next few shots, don't go all out, push you opponent around the court a little.

4. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

- use proper grip
    - pronate foreaarm
    - practice hitting slower shots and build up power
    - jump smash requires more skill and talent, and lots of stamina if you use it in a game.

5. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    rotate body and weight shift to generate power. Angle is based on your precision skills, develop them. Do drills when you're not playing games. Don't try jumping until you get a decent smash. Good luck.

6. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    if u cant properly smash, dont jump smash...

for me...if u want to make a harder smash...put the racket head more back to get more speed on the point of contact btween the cock n the racket...practice that, 3 smashes then practice yer basic shots the3 smashes then basic...try smashing straight at first, cuz thats when the cock travels faster...cuz sometimes creating an angle makes the cock seems to travel slower...

counter flick serve by standing in the middle of the receiving box.

7. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    i'm no expert, but here are some tips I received from my coach (in addition to what the others have posted):

1) Smashing
    - "load" your racket leg/foot right before you're ready to hit the shuttle
    - practice first jumping only around an inch or so off the ground when smashing (it's not really the height of the jump that gives you the power, it's the fact that your torso is more free to rotate with your feet off the ground. The height will give you the angle.)
    - of course, proper form is very important (concentrate on this first instead of power. Once you have consistent correct form, the power of your smashes will improve)

2) flick serve
    - while in the position to receive the service, "think forward but be ready to move backward" (or something like that). You should position yourself is such a way that you can attack a flick serve by jumping back (for a smash or clear). It's actually possible to attack a flick serve in one jump/step, especially since you're young.

Again, I'm no expert. :D Feel free to correct my posts. :D

8. dkroft

dkroft Regular Member

student
    I'm surprised nobody has already said this...or maybe I just missed it.

If your smashes are only going straight, the best thing you can do is hit the shuttle from farther back. Instead of making contact above your head or slightly in front, make contact farther in front of you to increase the downward angle. Most likely when you try this you'll start smashing into the net more. It's up to you to find the average of the two positions.

9. Akatsuki

Akatsuki Regular Member

I had a question regarding jummp smash.
    When you receive a clear, what is the best way to jump and smash it. Should I move back really fast so that I can jump forward?
    Should I jump vertically?
    Or should I jump back and smash it at the same time?
    Does it really matter?

10. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

You should always jump into the shot if possible ... That is Don't jump back to smash if you can move back first and then jump forward into it

How you jump has alot to do with where the shuttle is in relation to yourself You can't really say there is only one way you should jump smash - Different people have different styles of jumping and some people jump smash on different types of lift or clear.

11. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

baseline smash?

what about smashing from the baseline? would it go in if i dont jump? i've tried a few times but it goes under the net! what should i do?

12. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    again, I'm no expert, but maybe these tips will help you.

re: smashing from the baseline:

- it should go in even if you don't jump. Given that the shuttle goes under the net, I think you should forget about jump-smashing first and work on getting the proper form / technique.
    - try recording your badminton game / training with a video camera (or web cam or camera phone). Analyze the video together with your badminton coach.
    - I'm guessing that you're probably hitting the shuttle very late. I'm sure the video will show you first-hand what you're doing wrong.

Again I'm no expert. Good luck! :D

13. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    i have a question, when you smash and put all your weight on your right foot doesnt that right foot then lifts up on contact with the birdie and lands infront of you during a smash?

14. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    Be your self

smash and all of its relatives are executed dirrently for everyone. You have to find your style by your self... Be your self man and train harder.

15. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    oh okay thanks haha...

16. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    I don't really have much for the smash and jump smash. But as for countering a flick serve, you might try to stand a little above the middle of receiving box, and if it's a short, then depending on the relativity of the side that it goes to, lift it back/hit it to the back half of their side. This usually accounts for a somewhat weak return. If it's a serve that has you going back, try a clear, or a drop. And if you're doing a drop, always move towards the drop---the shuttle as it goes.

OH, and watch the shuttle as it's going over the net on a flick serve. Watch to see how high it is from the net, if it's higher that it should be(which it should be probably not higher than an inch above), then you can try to smash it.

#16 Tsumaranai, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  17. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

(1) are you saying your smashes goes into the net or your smashes are flat?
    - if it's into the net, practise practise practise
    - if it's flat, that means you're not contacting the shuttle high up but low near head level

(2) are you twisting your torso along with flexing of the wrist & follow through?

(3) if you can't do a regular smash, don't even think about jump smashing

(4a) how close are you standing behind the front service line?
    (4b) where's your racquet when you are ready to receive?
    (4c) how are your feet placed, and where is your centre of gravity?

Cheers!

#17 Break-My-String, Apr 15, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  18. SmashDemon

SmashDemon New Member

well, here's my insight:

1) the smash revolves around power and swing. turning your body and keeping the racquet up and angled at a 60 degree angle was the way my coach taught me. Applying these two factors should result in a powerful, direct smash.
    2) Master the smash first, then learn the jump smash. It mostly revolves on timing, power, and a quick recovery.
    3) Usually, a flick serve is countered by standing with your racquet up and having your right foot in front. With this defense stance, you can rush and attack a flick serve, regardless if its near the net or high. For additional backing power, apply the same stance and have your right toes up if you need to kick off to catch the bird in the backcourt.

hope that was helpful...

19. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Are you saying, have your racquet-foot close to the front service line?

Majority of players stand with their non-racquet-foot towards the front service line.

Cheers!

20. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

To repeat what B-M-S just said, with emphasis:

No professional players prepare to receive serve with their racket foot forward. All professionals prepare with their non-racket foot forward.

There is a reason for this ;)