Armortec 800 Missing top string?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by tobradex, Apr 6, 2006.

1. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    I'm not an expert at stringing but I noticed my Armortec 800 racquets always come back from stringing with what looks like a very large space at the top of the racquet (I.E. it's a big gap from the frame down to the first cross string). I wanted to know if this is an inherent defect, intended design, or bad stringing job?

Although I have not had problems with it, some of my friends break their strings rather easily if they miss hit at the top of the racquet where there are only vertal strings (no cross string to support it). It's not an extremely huge space, just seems larger than on other racquets.

I checked my string job against the recommended one on the yonnex website and it matches. So I'm baffled. Did they design a bigger space on purpose? And why? Anything I can do to protect it?

2. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Does it look anything like this ??
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=301253&postcount=27

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    That's the single pass through with Yonex put on them. The problem with it is, the strings would often break more from a mis-hit because of the larger gap. It's a good thing Yonex removed it on their new rackets like the NanoSpeeds.

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

huh?
    I thought the Nanospeeds were the same.
    I've only had to string an NS8000 so far, and it's the same as the AT800s

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Sorry my bad, I didn't exactly have my catlog on hand when I typed this post from work. The NanoSpeed 9000 and 6000 does not use single pass from looking in the catalog.

6. okoman

okoman Regular Member

The armortech 800 has sa single pass grommets at the top so there is no way your stringer should be missing a string. The extra length of space on top shouled supposedly give the racquet more power (debatable), but does reduce string life if not hit in the middle. I guess the lesson here is ,"HIT IT IN THE MIDDLE" Lol

7. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    Sigh

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

Yes Malayali, my raquet was strung just like that.

I guess I have to concentraite more on hitting the middle of the raquet. (I usually don't have a problem doing that, but now that I'm thinking about it I bet it'll screw me up haha :D ).

Hmmm, so the Nano improved on that eh? Do they make any with a similar balance to 800DE? I should check that out.

As for the extra power on the 800, I do notice more from my 800 than my 500 and any of my previous yonnex racquets (cap 15, 20, 21, iso 800, Muscle 88 etc) but who knows if it's really cause of the way they set up those top gromets. :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

8. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

AT-800 and NS8K both have big gap on the top. Before I got rid of my NS, I used to give it one extra cross at the top. There's nothing to stop you doing the same if your stringer is willing. I am quite sure Yonex intended the big gap as a feature. But I see it as a defect, which is why I think Yonex got rid of this feature on the NS9K.