User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Net smashes and clears

    heya
    just wondering if anyone has any tips on the technique for smashes at the net in mixed doubles and getting clears to the very back of the court??? i can get clears to the mid to back court but thats not very helpful coz my opponents just smash it back at me so my other shots arent too bad. my net shots are ok and i think all i need to do is use my wrist more but is there anything that would make it easier????
    thanz pplz!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    practice proper technique, and smashes at the net? i don't think theres such thing, just net kills. dont do a full swing but just use forearm power.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ok thanx Lam, will talk to my good friend who is very good at badminton and see if he can help teach me correct technique.
    Cheers!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm not sure if the 'net' is referring to both smashes and clears or just smashes, but if you're at the net, you don't really want to clear. Very likely they'll have the guy at the back, and you'll clear directly to him, and he's in great offensive position, and you'll have to hustle back and do side-side defense. So...try to avoid clears unless absolutely necessary. In mixed doubles that is.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nezumi
    heya
    just wondering if anyone has any tips on the technique for smashes at the net in mixed doubles and getting clears to the very back of the court??? i can get clears to the mid to back court but thats not very helpful coz my opponents just smash it back at me so my other shots arent too bad. my net shots are ok and i think all i need to do is use my wrist more but is there anything that would make it easier????
    thanz pplz!
    for clears:
    - pronation
    - aim high
    - timing
    u got all three, you dont even need to exert that much energy.. it's almost effortless providing you're in a somewhat balanced position

    for net kills, i just use forearm and wrist. huge swing usually makes the birdie goes either to the net or way out. and try changing ur grip to be closer to the cone, it helps for me

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by setaa
    for clears:
    - pronation
    - aim high
    - timing
    u got all three, you dont even need to exert that much energy.. it's almost effortless providing you're in a somewhat balanced position

    for net kills, i just use forearm and wrist. huge swing usually makes the birdie goes either to the net or way out. and try changing ur grip to be closer to the cone, it helps for me
    Not to mention, if you use a huge swing, you risk hitting or going over the net with your racket, which is a fault.

    If you don't know what pronation is, put your racket straight out in front of you in the forehand grip, with the racket head facing up. If you are gripping it right, you shouldn't be able to see the strings of the racket. Now turn your hand to the left, as if you were dumping out a glass of water. That's pronation; turning your forearm inwards basically. Try using that motion during your actual swing for a clear. It seems counterintuitive but it will actually greatly increase your power.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eh????
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    lol the first thing that came up to my head is WEAKLING lol o well im was a weakling too but is soon became strong enuf to hit to the back.....all i do is point at the birdie when its comming at me and use ALL MY STRENGHT at hitting it

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    timing and point of contact is also important. i like to hit my clear just above the centre of the racket. try training with a squash racket, that may help you with your strength. some people say stringing at higher tension makes it easier but i don't agree because you should learn the basics first

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyBoy
    lol the first thing that came up to my head is WEAKLING lol o well im was a weakling too but is soon became strong enuf to hit to the back.....all i do is point at the birdie when its comming at me and use ALL MY STRENGHT at hitting it
    pls try to reply to peoples threads without offending them, i think you'd like the same in return. also i disagree, you dont have to be very strong to clear baseline, if you have good technique then baseline to baseline clears don't require that much strength.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eh????
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by __Lam
    pls try to reply to peoples threads without offending them, i think you'd like the same in return. also i disagree, you dont have to be very strong to clear baseline, if you have good technique then baseline to baseline clears don't require that much strength.
    Sry Ma Bad
    I tried yesterday using my best technique and not using much strenghth...i couldnt clear taht far.....maybe i wasnt using much strenghth but ya

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    USA, California, Stockton
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i agree with pronation its the only way i can clear all the way to the baseline. Proper grip should be used, before i had grip no matter how hard i swung or prnoated my wrist it was very hard to clear.

Similar Threads

  1. Stress on thumb when hitting smashes/clears
    By Tactim in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 17
    : 04-15-2011, 07:07 AM
  2. High smashes, drives, attacking clears
    By invisbear in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 2
    : 04-09-2009, 08:30 PM
  3. Jump smashes and overhead backhand clears
    By Temestocles in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 1
    : 03-14-2009, 02:22 PM
  4. Good Forehand Clears & Jump Smashes
    By Maxphi5 in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 27
    : 12-22-2008, 11:16 AM
  5. Leaning Clears + Smashes
    By tonten in forum General Forum
    Replies: 20
    : 05-25-2003, 03:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •