Net smashes and clears

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by nezumi, Apr 8, 2006.

1. nezumi

nezumi Regular Member

heya
    just wondering if anyone has any tips on the technique for smashes at the net in mixed doubles and getting clears to the very back of the court??? i can get clears to the mid to back court but thats not very helpful coz my opponents just smash it back at me so my other shots arent too bad. my net shots are ok and i think all i need to do is use my wrist more but is there anything that would make it easier????
    thanz pplz! :)

2. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

practice proper technique, and smashes at the net? i don't think theres such thing, just net kills. dont do a full swing but just use forearm power.

3. nezumi

nezumi Regular Member

ok thanx Lam, will talk to my good friend who is very good at badminton and see if he can help teach me correct technique.
    Cheers!

4. dkroft

dkroft Regular Member

student
    I'm not sure if the 'net' is referring to both smashes and clears or just smashes, but if you're at the net, you don't really want to clear. Very likely they'll have the guy at the back, and you'll clear directly to him, and he's in great offensive position, and you'll have to hustle back and do side-side defense. So...try to avoid clears unless absolutely necessary. In mixed doubles that is.

5. setaa

setaa Regular Member

for clears:
    - pronation
    - aim high
    - timing
    u got all three, you dont even need to exert that much energy.. it's almost effortless providing you're in a somewhat balanced position

for net kills, i just use forearm and wrist. huge swing usually makes the birdie goes either to the net or way out. and try changing ur grip to be closer to the cone, it helps for me

6. dkroft

dkroft Regular Member

student
    Not to mention, if you use a huge swing, you risk hitting or going over the net with your racket, which is a fault.

If you don't know what pronation is, put your racket straight out in front of you in the forehand grip, with the racket head facing up. If you are gripping it right, you shouldn't be able to see the strings of the racket. Now turn your hand to the left, as if you were dumping out a glass of water. That's pronation; turning your forearm inwards basically. Try using that motion during your actual swing for a clear. It seems counterintuitive but it will actually greatly increase your power.

7. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

lol the first thing that came up to my head is WEAKLING lol o well im was a weakling too but is soon became strong enuf to hit to the back.....all i do is point at the birdie when its comming at me and use ALL MY STRENGHT at hitting it

8. tangy

tangy Regular Member

student
    timing and point of contact is also important. i like to hit my clear just above the centre of the racket. try training with a squash racket, that may help you with your strength. some people say stringing at higher tension makes it easier but i don't agree because you should learn the basics first

9. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

pls try to reply to peoples threads without offending them, i think you'd like the same in return. also i disagree, you dont have to be very strong to clear baseline, if you have good technique then baseline to baseline clears don't require that much strength.

10. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

Sry Ma Bad
    I tried yesterday using my best technique and not using much strenghth...i couldnt clear taht far.....maybe i wasnt using much strenghth but ya

11. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    i agree with pronation its the only way i can clear all the way to the baseline. Proper grip should be used, before i had grip no matter how hard i swung or prnoated my wrist it was very hard to clear.