Grips

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Aaron, May 4, 2001.

1. Aaron

Aaron Guest

I know that there was an earlier post on grips but i wanted to know something. What does the G5 symbol on my Ti-10 mean? I find that the grip isn't as comfortable as my other racquet. I want to add an overgrip on it just to make it bigger. Should i add an overgrip or just leave it?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    G5 is the size.

G5 < G4 < G3 < G2... etc..

most people add an overgrip on top of their original one. depending on the size of your hand, but G5 without an overgrip will be too small for most people.

3. harry

harry Guest

the G5 symbol on your racket is for the size/thickness of your racket's grip and G5 is the smallest size out of all but i have heard that itz the opposite for diff companies, other versions or something so dun take this for all rackets. People usually put overgrips on their racket's handle if they play a lot or will be using the racket a lot since the original grip will be worn out after a period of hard playing so people usually put one or more overgrips to protect the original grip. And depending on wat kinda shape you want the handle to be and wat size, that will help you find out how many overgips you will need

4. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

G5 is supposed to be the biggest size in most rackets.The best combination fo r a ti 10 is the 3U version with the G4 grip.

I hope this helps.

best of luck

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Yogesh,

it's the othe way round. G5 is the smallest. for Yonex's racket, at least.

6. Aaron

Aaron Guest

hehe alright thanks. I think i'm going to put an overgrip on my racquet then. Which grip do you guys recommend? I like soft, squishy grips...
    thanks =)

7. Kong

Kong Guest

You'd better to try towel grip, but you will find that it is uncomfortable after sometime. It is better to be changed. And it costs a lot of money for change and change. Unlike those professional players, they are sponsored by Yonex, and we are not.

8. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    G5 seems a bit small for a grip size. Maybe you should get the G 4.5 instead.

9. May

May Guest

Unless u want a black coloured grip at the end of the day, don't get anything too tacky.

10. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

For a G5 grip u might need a orginal grip and a overgrip. U can choose the babolat ATP Tour tennis orginal grip and "WHAT A GRIP" for the over grip.

I think of all the grips that i have tested i think" WHAT A GRIP" is the best.

I think the Babaolat grip costs arnd 9.00USD and the overgrip arnd 3.5USD

But def worth the money!

11. Aaron

Aaron Guest

Hehe alright thanks =)
    Do they sell it in Canada though?

12. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Give Prince tennis grips a try. I use the DuraTred model and it is tacky, gives a good grip when sweaty and lasts a long time.

13. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    henry, the G5 for yonex is the smallest from yonex....thats why aaron must hate it

14. Smashguy

Smashguy Regular Member

Dear all,

Ha Ha! I pick the old one.

I just want to know how many folks will wrap the grip on top of the original grip without removed the original plastic layer with YY logo imprinted on it?

It seems to keep the plastic is better. Especially the one replaces the overgrip frequently. It will make the removal of overgrip easlier and protect the original grip as well?

^v^

15. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Wouldn't you get alot of sounds then from the plastic underneath? If you are concerned about the stock grip getting all sticky from the adhesive on a replacement grip, then add a base grip (Small over grip).

I'm still quite confused on what this will accomplish.

Yodums

16. chungg

chungg Regular Member

student
    For Yonex, G5 is the smallest, G2>G3>G4>G5, but for most taiwanese company, like victor, winex, and mmoa, it is opposite, G2<G3<G4<G5.

However, nowaday those companys tend to only provide the smallest one or only 2 or 3 models, like only G5 or G4. It is because you can always increase the size by adding grips, but can't decrease the size. But the problem is when adding grips, the balance point changes, and the racquet will be not so head heavy. A responsible company should do some delicate adjustion to make sure different grip-size models have the same balance point, but usually they are just too lazy to do that and leave the problem for consumers. Therefore for those people with big palm, they can't get the same feeling from the same racquet even they use exactly the same spec with others. :mad:

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I use to think it will protect the leather grip by keeping the plastic on. One day I took the plastic off and examined the original leather grip. It had totally changed. Compressed, hard, different colour. It was useless.

So I think the only advantage is it's easier to change the grip if you use the very sticky overgrips.

The sound problem is only psychological. In fact, I never noticed the sound of cracking on my racquets when I USED to do this.

18. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I usually add a layer of electrical insulation tape over an original grip when I want to add another grip on top of the original. It makes re-gripping easier.

Especially with the glue backed towel grips I've got. The glue is so strong it rips unprotected underneath grips to pieces when you remove the towel grip.

19. legal strike

legal strike Regular Member

pls tell me what grip size should i ask for for a proace racket if my yonex racket grip is g5?

20. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    They should be the same. I've seen ProAce and most of the Clonexes using the G for grip standard size, but I'm not too sure if they are the same though.

One question : Does grip thickness and size have any effect on racquet vibration ie the aftershock of a shot?