Ankle pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by catharsis3k, Apr 9, 2006.

1. catharsis3k

catharsis3k New Member

Hi guys, i'm a "newbie" at badminton and started playing recently maybe 3 weeks ago. I have always weight trained but never did much cardio/sports.

I took it easy, playing maybe once/twice a week for the first two weeks and now I've stepped things up to three/four times a week. The problem I am having is that the same evening after I am done playing ( I play around 3 hours each time ) I get lots of pain in my ankles. I'm not really sure what hurts but moving my ankles around does seem to help a bit. The pain is there the next day too but gradually lower and the 3rd day it's completely gone.

This happened at least 5 times so far and I am wondering if it's normal. Maybe I am doing something wrong and I need to correct that and stop hurting like this. So my question is if the pain is normal for someone starting to play badminton and what can I do to alleviate it/make it go away faster or completely!

Thanks!

2. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

go see a doctor? take a break from sports for a while perhaps? are you wearing the right shoes?

3. catharsis3k

catharsis3k New Member

thanks for the reply. I may definetely not be using the right shoes - regular sneakers I guess - but then again I'm pretty sure I don't play at the level really good guys play.

a friend thinks I may have weak ligaments and the pain is a sign of them strengthtening up. does this make sense ?

4. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    No!
    Pain is NOT a sign of things "strengthening up" but of something being wrong!
    I agree with Lam - either go see your doctor or change your shoes. Badminton requires lots of short, sharp, twisting movements with sudden acceleration and stops - your shoes should be designed with good cushioning (especially around the midsole and ankle area), good grip (so you don't slide) and light weight (for quick movement).
    Maybe, as a newcomer to the sport, you are a reactive rather than proactive player? (you wait to see what the shuttle does then move, rather than anticipate its movements and be there early) Maybe you are a bit heavy footed rather than bouncing on your toes, ready for the next movement? Are you doing any stretching before and after playing?
    Badminton puts a lot of strain on the ankles, calves, shins, knees, thighs, and glutes in your legs - they could just be reacting naturally, but you won't know for certain unless you are examined bya trained professional.
    Good luck!
    Derek