Looking for a "good racket"

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Akatsuki, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Akatsuki

Akatsuki Regular Member

My friend is a beginner but loves badminton. He is playing 2-3 times a week and his current racket is a piece of crap (10$ wilson racket). He is thinking about purchasing racket but does not know which one.

He is currently looking for a racket about $50, yonex if possible.
    I am trying to convince him to buy one of the top racket since he will be playing regularly but he does not have the money for it.
    What should he do?
    Do you have any good racket which costs about $50 to suggest? Or maybe $100. I was thinking about a MP or ARMORTEC series since there known to be the "best" Yonex racket.

His type of play is double offensive.

Thank you for your time,
    I am sorry if there is a post similar to this one in the forum.
    Peace!

2. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    Well, if you're in the USA, I wouldn't recommend shipping overseas and such. Anyway, take a look around this site. www.badmintonalley.com Of course, you'll have to take into account, the additional costs from ordering. If you're in CA, which I don't know how likely that'd be, but if you're in CA, where the two shops are located, then there will be a set state tax of $5.95. Otherwise, there will be no tax, but there are 3 types of shipping.

Regular $9.95
    2-3 Day $17.95
    Next Day $41.95 (I know, a huge jump, probably don't want this, lol)

3. Akatsuki

Akatsuki Regular Member

Yes, i live in the US, I appreciate you letting me know the places where I can purchase rackets. But I would like suggestion on what types of racket I can get at 50-100 which are actually "good".
    Thank you,
    Noel

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

You might want to consider a Sotx-racket. A woven 2/3/4 would be a relatively safe bet. see if you can try one out.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The more expensive is not necessarily better. Once a racket comes to all graphite and beyond, it's really down to each individual to determine, which one fits for him/herself better. All the latest/newest (and usually more expensive) features might not be the favorable choice for everyone, and definitely not friendly to any wallet. :p

If there's a local shop (badminton specialized ones, not big sport chains) or a gym around, try to rent/borrow some rackets and demo with hands. Then, come up with the best performance vs. price combo for yourself. For $50, it hardly come up with a brand new (or even decent higher end) Yonex. Your better bet is other reputable brands, such as Winex, Sotx, Kason, Yangyang, Gosen, BK, etc. Some of their mid or even high end models are well within US$60-80 range. ;)

6. doris160260

doris160260 Regular Member

why do you prefer yonex. While I feel yonex does produce the world's finest rackets when you are looking in the 100$ range, you are paying for the yonex name not the quality. you can easily find top end rackets from other companies near this range. Also if your freind is a beginner buying a top end racket may not be practical as many are designed for advanced players who do not mishit the bird and can handle its swing weight. I would suggest looking at victor or carlton rackets. You will get more value for what you pay for.

7. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
  8. Baddict_2006

Baddict_2006 Regular Member

Chef
    I agree with lazybuddy,yonex is not the best racquet in the world..there a lot out there that is good quality and easy on the pocket.i suggest you browse in the net and look for your brand.You will not regret it.Good luck!;)