User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: DIfference Betweeen Beginr, Inter, Advan.

It's not easy to objectivelly classify a player skills level. Technique is very subjective and most often than not are evaluated by experts. Following is my opinion (a quick one) on skills level:
    Beginner:
    - able to clear (forehand and backhand to baseline), drop and smash;
    - footwork to 4 corners of the court;
    Intermediate:
    - able to clear with under-hand techniques (returning shuttles from baseline to baseline in full strectch);
    - able to use footwork accordingly depending on situation (i.e. pressuring and under pressure);
    - able to follow tactical instructions;
    Advanced:
    - able to form tactics against opponents;
    - able to vary tactics during matches;

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to rate myself?

I have seen ppl talking about "level B, level A, level C, etc" for player (not elite, just regular club members) rating. However, I have no idea how this rating works. Just wonder, how to rate myself? Is there a certain standard to follow? Or, just purely "self feeling"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ususally rate myself relative to players around me. I would compare basic skills, stance, footwork and power level. I would ask myself how I would match with with this particular person in a single match.

I would also pay attention in doubles to see how others work with their partners.

I think it is to coarse of a measurement with just Level A, B, or C because there might be areas that you are good at and areas that you need to inprove.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How to rate myself?

Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    I have seen ppl talking about "level B, level A, level C, etc" for player (not elite, just regular club members) rating. However, I have no idea how this rating works. Just wonder, how to rate myself? Is there a certain standard to follow? Or, just purely "self feeling"?
    When people are talking about level A, B, C, D, it's the tournament level they're playing in. With "A" being the top, and "D" is the lowest. It is not how you feel your level is.

If you want to know what level you're at, you can try to play in a few tournament and see if you get a compatible match in that level. Normally, people who just started playing in tournaments, they will start in a lower level, maybe C or D. Unless you have confidence that you're much better then average players in your club, maybe you can start in B. And everytime you win in the level, you move up a level, however, it also depends on how big the tournament is. I would say, it's fair to stay in that level and win twice, after getting fist place two times in that level, you should move up to a higher level.

There are also different opinions of levels in different geographical area can be a little different. So at some places, the level D would equal to C at other places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too also am wondering how this rating system works but since I've never played any tournaments, it would be hard to rate myself. However, I have gone to this one club near me where a lot of national ranked players played. So yeah, best way to rate yourself is by playing with people of known ranking and rating and see how you compare with them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Re: How to rate myself?

Originally posted by RedDog
    When people are talking about level A, B, C, D, it's the tournament level they're playing in. With "A" being the top, and "D" is the lowest. It is not how you feel your level is.

So, u mean, the "level" is actually the tournament's level??? Not for players? So, the level of tournament that a player participate the most (of course, with respectful result, not just 1st round out every single time), is his level... hmmm...

Then, another stupid question, how to rate the tournament then??? How did the ppl who organize , to rate the current tournament?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Re: Re: How to rate myself?

Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    So, u mean, the "level" is actually the tournament's level??? Not for players? So, the level of tournament that a player participate the most (of course, with respectful result, not just 1st round out every single time), is his level... hmmm...

Then, another stupid question, how to rate the tournament then??? How did the ppl who organize , to rate the current tournament?
    I'm so Sorry, I must of confused you badly... It's not the "tournament level"...normally, in a tournament, it will have 4 flights (or levels) A, B, C and D. And you can sign up for the flight that fits your own level. Does that make more sense?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I see...

Guess tournament that I participate were not that formalized... They only have sections for "MS, MD, LS, LD, XD". Maybe age group, too. Never see them put level A, B, C, etc around...

hehehehheeh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I've also been wondering, how do0 you rate your self? I've had a friend to tell me that she's in advance level and she's not good at all!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Joanne
    Yeah, I've also been wondering, how do0 you rate your self? I've had a friend to tell me that she's in advance level and she's not good at all!

Is that poor girl, who got blew out by u 15-0, but still claimed to have "nature talent"???

Then, I can rate u to be A+++...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Joanne
    In the clubs i've been to, most "intermediate" and "advanced" players are all the same level, and i'm sure its the same in most regions. Skill level is a regional thing i guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rating anyone's play is a matter of personal judgement usually done in comparision with some already ranked players. Rating is not a science but an art (Ranking may be science that usually based on tournament results). Rating may differ from person to person and may be totally wrong sometime. Many people have tendency to rank themself higher then they actually are. Many tournaments only have A and B levels. Trust me, if you are an "A" level player then you should already know by now. Nobody becomes A level player in vaccum.

The way I look ranking is as follows:

Pros: Full time Badminton player who plays international tournaments.

A+: Player who qualifies to play IBF ranking tournament where some Top world ranking players are also playing.

A : Player who qualifies to play nationally rank tournaments and have good chances to get to Quater Final or highers.

A-:Who is good enough to play in nationally ranked tournaments and also good enough to get to second or third rounds but not good enough to get to QF.

B : Players who plays nationally rank tournaments lose in their first round and then do good in consolation tournament.

B- : Do bad in consolation but good enough to look good in playing badminton.

C: Who can hold some rallies once in a while. May become partner to play doubles with B level. Participates local tournaments (non ranking) but don't get anywhere except having fun.

D: Beginnners: Those who enjoy playing but needs to work on almost everything.

I hope above helps.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LIP,

i don't agree with the rating. i imagine if that rating is used, then 75% of the people who plays in tournament will be in B-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by kwun
    LIP,

i don't agree with the rating. i imagine if that rating is used, then 75% of the people who plays in tournament will be in B-
    and 80% of the general badminton population would be D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by jwu
    and 80% of the general badminton population would be D.
    Agree: I would say from personal experience that 80 percents who plays badminton do not go to tournaments. Most of them could be rated as C, and D level players.

By just playing in any tournament does not make a person an "A" level player.

May be I do not want to dilute A level player's acheivement. I believe A level is acheived by less then 5 percent who plays badminton. Next 15 percent can be considered good players that is B level. All remaining 80 percent do belong in C and D level (off course my judgement only).

We tends to overrate players from whom we lose a game. May be we want to justify our loss but that does not make a winner an "A" level player either.

There is nothing wrong to be C or D level. These players, play for fun mostly and that is great. Not everyone has to be so competitive!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i guess the level is really dependent on the location of the tournament.

if there is one absolute level, then if one go to some location with low level of skills (like the US. ) then there will be no one playing level A.

thus i think the level really varies. and in most places, they are some like taking the whole badminton population, and then do a even distribution, 25% A, 25% b, etc.

case in point. i usually play level B/C in the N. Cali area. i was told that the level is higher in S. Cal, and i was also told that if i play a tourney in Hongkong, i will be playing level E.... so there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just repeating my quote from before, "there is always someone better than you, and always someone not as good." Your rating depends on your competition and how people perceive your game. Best way to figure it out is just go and try it.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast