User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LIPlayer
    Rating anyone's play is a matter of personal judgement usually done in comparision with some already ranked players. Rating is not a science but an art (Ranking may be science that usually based on tournament results). Rating may differ from person to person and may be totally wrong sometime. Many people have tendency to rank themself higher then they actually are. Many tournaments only have A and B levels. Trust me, if you are an "A" level player then you should already know by now. Nobody becomes A level player in vaccum.

The way I look ranking is as follows:

Pros: Full time Badminton player who plays international tournaments.

A+: Player who qualifies to play IBF ranking tournament where some Top world ranking players are also playing.

A : Player who qualifies to play nationally rank tournaments and have good chances to get to Quater Final or highers.

A-:Who is good enough to play in nationally ranked tournaments and also good enough to get to second or third rounds but not good enough to get to QF.

B : Players who plays nationally rank tournaments lose in their first round and then do good in consolation tournament.

B- : Do bad in consolation but good enough to look good in playing badminton.

C: Who can hold some rallies once in a while. May become partner to play doubles with B level. Participates local tournaments (non ranking) but don't get anywhere except having fun.

D: Beginnners: Those who enjoy playing but needs to work on almost everything.

I hope above helps.
    what happened to B+, C+, D+, D-??

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's even more confusing in England because they have different leagues of different standards. You might be division one player in one league but pretty poor in another.

In M'sia, they don't seem to have much in the way of formalised leagues but you can find really excellent players around.

Met a guy from Holland when I was in Sydney. He said he had a ranking in Holland in the 200's (for doubles). Well, I like to think I am a couple of levels above what he was

The best way is go travelling around playing in different countries. (Check out badmintonfanatic link)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Cheung
    The best way is go travelling around playing in different countries. (Check out badmintonfanatic link)
    That's surelly help my badminton rating a lot. However, my bank account and credit card rating won't look too good anymore...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    Is that poor girl, who got blew out by u 15-0, but still claimed to have "nature talent"???

Then, I can rate u to be A+++...

Lol, yeah, her. She even said her coach asked her to go and try-out for the Selangor try-outs! And no way and I a A+++ player, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do I tell though.....

Whether I'm in beginner, intermediate, or advance? Or in-between one of these levels?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not sure about the standard in Malaysia, but the standard in the clubs i've been to is something along the lines of:

Beginner: has neither technique nor strategy conquered
    High Beginner has ok technique and shot placement, and rarely returns high to mid-court

Intermediate: has great technique and shot placement, but doesn't use much strategy. Element of deception is weak or lacking.
    High intermediate: has some strategy, such as suprising the opponent, wearing them out, etc.

Advanced: great technique and use of strategy: thinks one step ahead of each shot. Always knows which position to return to, etc. Great use of deception keeps opponent on their toes.

Elite: same as advanced but better all around.

Cambridge, UK (heh..only a sixth form college tho)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Advanced Plus

But most people at relatively competitve clubs will be high inter and advanced according to that scale i.e. our college team of 6 would have 3 advanced and 3 high inters. Is that about right? Sounds really high to me.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Advanced Plus

Originally posted by Sheldon
    But most people at relatively competitve clubs will be high inter and advanced according to that scale i.e. our college team of 6 would have 3 advanced and 3 high inters. Is that about right? Sounds really high to me.....

Wow... then, ur college team should be really dominating in the league...

However, if they just happen to against worse player much more often than ppl get similar or better skill level, maybe u should consider to lower their rating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of a simple formula for determining your ability but this is the way I see it:

Beginners: Need help with everything, but most importantly, need to learn proper techniques first.

Intermediates: Have learned the techniques and know the physical part of the game. Time to learn strategies and the mental part of the game.

Advance: Both physical and mental foundations of the game is set, working on a high level of consistency and perfecting gameplay.

Elite: The few who have master the game and can consistently do well in tournaments both nationally and internationally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Goody

That clear's that up-we're all inter nearing advanced. First League match (away) on Thursday. PS it's a sixth form college (16-18). Hope my racquet doesn't break or anything........can't play with any other racquet;-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Squash has a better grading system. Here in Singapore, players can confidently tell you "I'm a B-grader, or F-grader". It appears that those in charge have a national system to grade the players, but I haven't had time to find out how they do it. The squash national body used to organize tournaments for the various grades in the past.

It is true that in badminton, we don't have a central system to rank players. For most officially organized tournaments they normally draw a line between national players, ex-national players and others. For example, the local SBA has an annual team tournament called the Wong Peng Soon Cup (5 matches: MS, MD, Veteran MD (above 45 years, I believe), LD and XD) which excludes national players and ex-national players who last represented the country for less than 3 years (just a guess).

When we play friendly inter-club games, although we rank our own players in order of ability, the standards do differ when compared with the other opposition clubs. The 1st team of a "strong" club (lke the Chinese Swimming Club) may be far too strong for a "weaker" club, when even its 3rd team will prove quite a match. Even within one's own team, there may be stark differences in the player's standards. Over time and with more interaction and experience, such clubs will know how to arrange their teams in order to provide better and more interesting competition to avoid one-sidedness.

Over here, nationally organized tournaments for the general public are few. We do have the contituency games whereby players of a certain (geographic and electoral) district can team up to play against those from other districts. The schools are definitely more active and have their own annual national level competitions. There are also the national age-group tournaments, but hardly any for ordinary players (apart from sponsored ones) who wish to find out to which grade they belong.

I also noticed that someone from this Forum did mention about the A-Level, B-Level, etc, competitions (maybe in the UK?) and wonder how this is done?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.....how do I rate myself? lol. Still no idea how.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll just stick to saying "I'm pretty good"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Sheldon
    I'll just stick to saying "I'm pretty good"
    that's not a bad way to go. Just going to get myself in a tournament and see how that goes, right now, I probably rate myself E.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fine, if there's a level of "Z", I will be that one then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ranking for amateur players

Hi all,

I've seen that you have some discussions for level of skills and ranking for players before. Iíve got a ranking scheme for amateur badminton players from one of the Chinese badminton forums. It not only uses the result of match or level of skills but also with some behaviours to determine the grading. I think we can combine 0-3 but need to extend a bit on 6-7. Does it look reasonable?

Grade 0 : never play badminton before

Grade 1: frequent play in the street and outdoor areas. No requirement to wind direction, playground, net and racket.

Grade 2 : frequent play in the street and outdoor areas. Some requirements to wind direction but not for playground, net and racket. Think themselves are pretty good and like to show off. Never watch badminton match.

Grade 3 : like to play at outdoor badminton court with net, but do not know how high the net is. Do not play during strong wind. Think themselves are pretty good and like to show off. Watch badminton matches occasionally and just feel exciting.

Grade 4: like to play at standard indoor badminton court. Know it is expensive to play badminton. Know how to grip and own their rackets. Know that racket can be purchased in a single item but not in a pair. Know that the string can be
    re-stretched. Always watch badminton matches at TV. Know themselves not play so well.

Grade 5 : never play outdoor. Always think about badminton during work or at school. Like smash. Start concern about equipment. With own requirements on racket, string tension, clothes and shoes. Know how bad of others but not know how bad themselves. Concern TV badminton matches and record them into tape/disc. Never miss chance for play. Can tell names of a number of famous players and equipment. Hope the children become a pro. Start addict to badminton.

Grade 6 : concern to own technique in details and expect with less mistake. Start using deception. Judge accurately the opponents strengths and weaknesses and understand why they win or lose. Start play with pro and know the good players in the local district. Have some unlike players. Know which month will have open matches.

Grade 7: always play with pro and even win occasionally. Obtain top 5 ranking within the district. For equipment, only concern shuttle, racket and string. High requirement to the playground and can feel the wind direction. Only watch real big match and can point out strengths and weaknesses of international pro.

Grade 8: obtain top 5 in the province/state
    ís grade matches. Always play with pro and able to win those who are in general level. Very familiar with every things in badminton field. Know the names of the best players in the country and names of coaches in each province/state. Not quite interested to obtain the souvenir or signature even from Olympic champ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, you should skip the first 3 because I do not think those come here.... maybe level 1: still plays outdoor
    level 2 plays indoor and know badminton is expensive etc...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast