User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ratings in France

In France we have ratings and dynamic evolution for each player and in each category. The ratings are using same letters A, B, C, D, E and now F. But to replace A+ or B-, there are numbers : A1, A2, ...., E1, E2, F1, F2 and Non Rated people.

To fit international rankings, the A category has more numbers. A-4 and A-3 are for top international players (TOP 30), A-2 and A-1 for followinf international players.

In summary :
    A-4 to A-1 : international level
    A0, A1, A2 : national level
    B1, B2 : national and regional level
    C1, C2 : regional and department level
    D1, D2 : department level
    E1, E2 : local level
    F1, F2 : competitors
    Non Rated : beginners

Actually, any french player has 3 ratings. For instance, i'm C2/C2/D1 (Single/Double/Mixt).

If u wanna see how it works, french site is quite well done : www.ffba.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tournaments

And, based on this rankings, the players play in their category. For instance, i play in C category in single and double and D category in mixt.

Indeed, a classic french tournament is done for A, B, C and D categories (example) and in each u can play MS, WS, MD, WD and XD.

It's nearly the same in belgium.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troncheur
    C1, C2 : regional and department level
    D1, D2 : department level
    E1, E2 : local level
    F1, F2 : competitors
    Can you explain what's the difference between department, local and competitor level???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Explanations

Actually, France (65M inhabitants and 100000 bad players) is administratively divided into 22 regions and 95 departments.

When i talk about regional, department, local levels, it means good level in those areas. Local level would be under department (with 1 or 2 years of badminton behind).

The new category F (F1 and F2) has been created this year to allow beginners not to be automaticly fired at 1st round in tournaments. Once u win 3 or 4 matches in tournaments, u go rated F2 so the tournaments for non rated people are real ones.

Many debates about this in french bad microcosm about this new feature. Some say it won't change anything, only move the pb.
    Some say it will force more players to play with feather (much more expensive than plastic ones used in non rated compets).
    Some say there's a movement of global french ratings to increase more and more and we would have to control this....

Too many A and B players for me, we should have a fixed number of A players like in tennis table or tennis...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are tournaments for A,B,C and D drop flights. It means everyone
    start out with A flight, if you win the first 2 matches then you'll stay in A.
    - Win 1st match, loose 2nd go to B
    - Loose 1st match, loose 2nd go to C.
    In C, if you loose the 1st match go to D

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    I have seen ppl talking about "level B, level A, level C, etc" for player (not elite, just regular club members) rating. However, I have no idea how this rating works. Just wonder, how to rate myself? Is there a certain standard to follow? Or, just purely "self feeling"?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    There are tournaments for A,B,C and D drop flights. It means everyone
    start out with A flight, if you win the first 2 matches then you'll stay in A.
    - Win 1st match, loose 2nd go to B
    - Loose 1st match, loose 2nd go to C.
    In C, if you loose the 1st match go to D
    There are also alternative ways:

1. Higher group starts with A, and lower group starts with C.

2. Winner stays in the group, and once being defeated, lower 1 level. Therefore, if in higher group, the lowest you can go is B. If C, the best you can do is win C.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default On Levelling

Good day Shuttlers!

I do not know if it fortunate or unfortunate that for competitions in the Philippines, most clubs 'level' the players and it seems that it is really unscientific and prone to misjudgements. There is NO CLEAR CUT rule in 'levelling' and in some cases, my friends who get to join competitions are sometimes 'mis-levelled' by levelling committees. At times, the organizers who favour some players grant lower levels to those favoured thus instead of these seasoned players getting a level A or B are granted levels one notch lower.

I have asked on a local forum how they do the levelling (particularly the SOTX organizers in Manila)but they cannot seem to provide a direct and candid answer. Unlike golf where you are rated based on historical data (handicap),badminton players do not document their last level (thats handicap, in golf) thus irregularity is tolerated.

How is this guys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does it not seem a bit wooden, using clear cut ratings to assess someones talent?
    I mean if i was using LIPlayers definitions i would probably be around a C although i have never played in a tournament because there arent any but im better then beginners at D. However, someone who has played in some kind of tournament is automatically a grade higher than me? Regardless of actual skill?

A friend of mine is a fair bit better than me and hes been playing a lot longer, yet using that grading he would also be a C. This presents a problem.
    If you're going to use ratings they should either be more vague to emcompass more factors or much more detailed, by which time the whole thing becomes rather irrelevant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Penguins

Wooden in what sense sir?

Id like to think that more than talents, these are skills that you learn overtime...

Just an opinion..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ratings do fluctuate and for players to at least maintain their true ratings, they should either stay competitive or keep training. If a former competitive amateur hasn't touched a shuttle in more than 5 years, he wouldn't have been much better than non-competitive recreational players. I wouldn't worry about having lower ratings than a comparable less skilled 'tournament' player. Playing conditions are very different in tournaments than club plays. Even in supposedly 'fun' friendly tournaments, there's pressure to perform. Shots we normally don't screw up gets screwed up due to other factors than our skills. For this alone, I value tournament experience more than having comparable skills.

If you're serious about rating yourself, play in tournaments and earn your rank. Otherwise, it's a waste of time rating yourselves based on subjective speculations. IMO, all non-newb players are intermediate and should only be considered advance when they have at least considerable exposure to competitive amateur tournaments. That's just for the general population. Comparing to the pros, we're all newbies .

Quote Originally Posted by pengu1ns
    Does it not seem a bit wooden, using clear cut ratings to assess someones talent?
    I mean if i was using LIPlayers definitions i would probably be around a C although i have never played in a tournament because there arent any but im better then beginners at D. However, someone who has played in some kind of tournament is automatically a grade higher than me? Regardless of actual skill?

A friend of mine is a fair bit better than me and hes been playing a lot longer, yet using that grading he would also be a C. This presents a problem.
    If you're going to use ratings they should either be more vague to emcompass more factors or much more detailed, by which time the whole thing becomes rather irrelevant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously you rate yourself in comparison to your competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tour_prof
    Wooden in what sense sir?

Id like to think that more than talents, these are skills that you learn overtime...

Just an opinion..
    Wooden in the sense that they are inflexible and therfore not very effective as a measure, due to the reasons above. Btw you are correct, i just said talent because it was the first word i thought of

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rankings in Denmark

In Denmark we have got 6 different levels: E=elite, M=master, and then A, B, C, D.

Elite is the best, D is the worst. You need points to move from level to level, you can accive points by going to the quaterfinals or more in tournements, and there are different amounts of points depending how many players playing in the tournement.

Hope it was any help...

Bye the way, I plays "B" level

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Proper Guidance in Levelling

You must be very good! Maybe you can help me out by sending me literature on how you guys really rate yourselves. Im trying to institue reforms in our group (South Manila Badminton) here in the Philippines.

my mail - amlacuna@gmail.com

regards!

Aris

Quote Originally Posted by fpixi
    In Denmark we have got 6 different levels: E=elite, M=master, and then A, B, C, D.

Elite is the best, D is the worst. You need points to move from level to level, you can accive points by going to the quaterfinals or more in tournements, and there are different amounts of points depending how many players playing in the tournement.

Hope it was any help...

Bye the way, I plays "B" level

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default beginner-intermediate-advanced..

hi there,

I've seen a lot of people here calling themselves one of these. i sorta figured i'm intermediate.

but is there any rule to determine it?

Looking in my club (200 people) out of the 200 only 20 can beat me, but a lot of them are recreational. I can't keep up with holland national selection..but htis all doesn't really correspond with any rating i could give here..

can anybody just name some stuff an intermediate should be able to do, and a beginner doesn't (and visa-versa intermediate-advanced)

the reason behind this is that i saw somebody write he thinks the ns8k is more for intermediate-advanced..but i find it playing terrifyingly nice....i can do everything i did with my at500 and better...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all relative. I say don't worry about titles, designations, rankings and just have fun.

Everyone has a different feel for rackets, different preferences. For instance, an "A" Player at SGVBC only plays with only 4U flexible rackets because he says he cannot move nor flex heavy, stiff rackets. Yet he has among the strongest wrists I've seen this side of pros. He said when 5Us are readily available, he'll get a 5U.

In contrast, there's a beginner I know who uses U/2U rackets and those rackets feel light to him; he can clear/drive with the heavier rackets no problem.

So again, it's all relative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well yes..of course...

but it would make discussing stuff on teh forums here a lot easier...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast