Meanings of Level of Play

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by viver, Dec 31, 2000.

1. viver

viver Regular Member

Players' level standard

Hi,

I am just curious to know this forum participants views on players' level opinions. I was playing with my friends and heard them discussing about playing standards. Also often I see posts where players mention they are in beginners, intermediate or advanced levels.

Opinions differ how to qualify a player level. Would the participants be interested to voice their opinion on this subject?

Thanks and regards,

Viver

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    RE: Players' level standard

I play for UWC here in Singapore and i rank 5th for my college team. But i only see my self as an intermediate player and not an advanced player because i feel that there is still alot that i can improve on......

3. viver

viver Regular Member

Thank you for your answer but I should apologize for my question was not clear. I like to hear from the participants how they classify players according to their playing level. For example, what are the necessary skills a player must master, in your opinion to be qualified an intermediate level player. Like in your case, you classify yourself as an intermediate level player, so could you please comment the skills you posess and what you lack to become an advanced player?

Thanks,
    Viver

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

i recommends the following badminton levels for player only, not for coaching levels:

1. Entry
    2. Beginner
    3. Intermediate
    4. Advanced
    5. Professional
    6. Legend

cooler

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

Hmm,

I have four grades of good according to the tone that I use.
    Anybody who qualifies as good can always beat me!

Such a difficult question to answer....

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

play standard is really difficult to determine. as they are not absolute and transitive. player A may beat player B who beats player C, but player C in turn can beat player A.

one way that people use is by the competition level people play, here in US, there are level A/B/C, however, different country's levels are different. i am sure level C in say, Hongkong is higher than level C in the US.

in HK, there is something call the badminton medal (or something like that) where players are assessed through an examiner, if they pass, they get a medal certifying they are of a certain standard. there is bronze, silver and gold. and supposedly the gold is really rare and is only given by the governer or something like that.

i had a coach when i was a kid, she was in the HK team (or train with the HK team), and she only got a silver.

7. viver

viver Regular Member

The exact reason than brought me writing this question is exactly Kwun just said. We meet here regularly on the Internet and live in different parts of the globe, surely badminton stantdards are different. That's why I was curious to hear everybody's opinion about standards and players' level classification.

Viver

8. vince poon

vince poon Guest

In that case, I rank myself as an intermediate player. In order for me to get to advanced level, I have to improve my clear to go deeper, faster, and be more consistent; improve my drop to have better angle, faster, and more consistent; improve my smash to lightning fast; improve my court coverage like Fung Permadi; and reduce my age to 15 years younger. Once I improve all this area, I rank myself as an advanced player and probably play for team Canada.

9. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    DIfference Betweeen Beginr, Inter, Advan.

I'm considered a intermediate player now... but I just wanted to know how one judges if the opponent is beginner, intermediate or advance. If advance means that you can smash hard, I know some beginners - intermediates that can smash harder then intermediate players and some advance players because they are built strong and have other sports backgrounds. What are some characteristics that make a player beginnner/intermediate/advance?

10. LeeLloyd

LeeLloyd Guest

Re: DIfference Betweeen Beginr, Inter, Advan.

There probably is a difference... but I don't think anyone around knows what the difference between 'beginner', 'intermediate' and 'advance' is...
    In a sport like badminton (and maybe in all sports) there is no real definition of beginner, intermediate and advance... at least not that I know of... (but HEY.. who am I??)
    I believe everyone should judge their own... based on their own skills.. but not based on some words..like beginners, intermediate and advance.. for there is no real definition of them... (maybe one of you other guys knows the definitions)...

Out:
    LeeLloyd

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

Intermediate is when you learn the secret handshake.

Advanced is when you stop worrying about questions like the one you asked.

12. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer

It looks like I am an advanced begginer acording to your description...

My definition:
    if you think you are beginer you are beginer
    if you think you are intermediate you are beginer
    if you think you are advanced you are probably intermediate
    if you are getting your rackets and shuttles for free you are finaly advanced

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed

beginner - yeah, my rubber shuttle is good for another year.
    intermediate - yeah, my nylon shuttle should last another week.
    advanced - get this piece of crap nylon off the court!!

14. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student

i think i read this in one of the articles on the net...

beginner - your are not thinking... you are not placing the shuttle, you are just trying your best to get the shuttle across to the other side

intermediate - you begin to take notice your opponent's weakness, start to be able to place your shots and able to go aim at your opponent's weakness. Start to form strategies b4 the game

advamce - you will be attacking your opponent's weakness constantly and you will be placing the shuttle where it is hard for your opponent to reach and you form strategies/tactics for a sequence of shots to kill your opponent during the game

15. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic

lol - very good

16. Jason

Jason Guest

Well... I think this is only from the prespective of the mental game... cuz me... I'm not any good with my "basic skill" (yes... I'm not good at all ><) but I notice opponent's weaknessed when i play against them. However... since my skill is no good (actually... lemme rephrase that "wut skill"??? ^^" ) sometimes i cannot manage to direct my shots with pin point(or semi-pinpoint) acuracy like many of my friends who have been playing for a long time... so... i totally agree with you if you're speaking from a mental game point of view... but from an all round point of view... skill should still be considered as a huge factor~

THE ABOVE IS ONLY A PERSONAL OPPINION... IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THE ABOVE POINTS MADE.... PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO HUNT ME DOWN ^^"

cheers~
    Jason

17. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed

check out how the parks and rec at Richmond define the three levels:

http://www.city.richmond.bc.ca/leisure/springguide/sports.pdf

18. viver

viver Regular Member

It's not easy to objectivelly classify a player skills level. Technique is very subjective and most often than not are evaluated by experts. Following is my opinion (a quick one) on skills level:
    Beginner:
    - able to clear (forehand and backhand to baseline), drop and smash;
    - footwork to 4 corners of the court;
    Intermediate:
    - able to clear with under-hand techniques (returning shuttles from baseline to baseline in full strectch);
    - able to use footwork accordingly depending on situation (i.e. pressuring and under pressure);
    - able to follow tactical instructions;
    Advanced:
    - able to form tactics against opponents;
    - able to vary tactics during matches;

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    How to rate myself?

I have seen ppl talking about "level B, level A, level C, etc" for player (not elite, just regular club members) rating. However, I have no idea how this rating works. Just wonder, how to rate myself? Is there a certain standard to follow? Or, just purely "self feeling"?

20. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I ususally rate myself relative to players around me. I would compare basic skills, stance, footwork and power level. I would ask myself how I would match with with this particular person in a single match.

I would also pay attention in doubles to see how others work with their partners.

I think it is to coarse of a measurement with just Level A, B, or C because there might be areas that you are good at and areas that you need to inprove.

Ben