Squash racquet for arms

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by PandaLord, Apr 11, 2006.

1. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    Hey there, could use some opinions or such here. I already searched the forum for arm training using the squash racket, however i never realised till now that with the squash racket..you're meant to hit the shuttlecock as if youre playing :p.

What i was doing with it was that after doing some Hand Spring Grips (the equipment where theres a spring and two handles) i basically hold the squash racket and do a 'figure 8' movement with it (hard to explain, basically i do a horizontal S movement from end to end over and over again connectedly).

So far it seems to be training my forearm/wrist :p. Think this is a viable/good way to train your arm too ? Or am i missing the real type of training from hitting shuttlecocks with the squash racket ?:confused:

2. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    doing the 8 was one of the drills i was taught before
    just that back then we were simply using a metal racket

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Squash racquet for arms

Hi PandaLord

Doing the “figure 8” with a racquet is excellent for wrist training. However, I tell my students to do it with a badminton racquet instead of a squash racquet, because the heavier squash racket might cause injury to your wrist if you are not careful and/or if you overdo it.

The most important thing is that... when you do it, you must pay attention to the 2 different grips, because this exercise is very good for practising the changing of the grips, from the forehand grip to the backhand grip.

Assuming that you are right-handed...
    Whenever your racquet head is moving from left to right, you should have the backhand grip. Let your thumb be pushing against the racquet handle to direct the racquet head to move from left to right.

And when your racquet head is on its return journey, moving from right to left, you should have the forehand grip, allowing your index finger to be guiding the flow of your racquet head from right to left.

Another important thing is that you should not have a tight grip. Loosen your grip a little so that your wrist can be more flexible.