User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default AT150 - headheavy?

    I know the Yonex charts are hardly reliable, but still.

    I have a friend who wants to buy a racquet to replace her ISO97VF. (Hang on, this isn't a racket recommendation thread) The ISO97VF is very headlight, and its the only thing she's used to. She can't even use a MP30 which is even-balance.

    So I told her NS7000 was a good choice, but it's too expensive. The Yonex charts puts AT150 right beside NS7000. That should mean its a light racquet based more on control and speed than power. That would hardly be the case if it were headlight though.

    Anybody know what kind of balance the AT150 is and how it plays?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your mind
    Posts
    809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you're looking for a head-light racquet, look elsewhere from the AT series, because all the AT racquets(including the new 150 and 250) are head-heavy, with the exception of AT800 DEF, which is even balance; and the AT800 OF is the most head-heavy out of them.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishmilk
    I know the Yonex charts are hardly reliable, but still.

    I have a friend who wants to buy a racquet to replace her ISO97VF. (Hang on, this isn't a racket recommendation thread) The ISO97VF is very headlight, and its the only thing she's used to. She can't even use a MP30 which is even-balance.

    So I told her NS7000 was a good choice, but it's too expensive. The Yonex charts puts AT150 right beside NS7000. That should mean its a light racquet based more on control and speed than power. That would hardly be the case if it were headlight though.

    Anybody know what kind of balance the AT150 is and how it plays?
    If she prefers head light (and/or overall light) racket, I think she has better chances to in other brands, rather than Yonex. Brands like Gosen (miracle light series), Winex (MM90, etc), SOTX (STB8080+, Woven 6, etc) are all excellent rackets. I am sure there are more choices in other reputable brands as well. Maybe pay a visit to local shop / gym, and demo some rackets.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    you might want to try a NS6000

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well the NS series are a bit out of her budget, and they have durability issues don't they? I know at least 4 people with cracked NS's, and there aren't even that many around, and they haven't been out for long either.

    High Priced Racquet + Low Durability (even for Yonex standards) = Lots of tears

    I understand that all AT's are supposed to be headheavy, but right now these are all just predictions... I know the Yonex charts aren't very reliable, but they aren't completely stupid. I don't think they would put a headheavy racket way below racquets like the ISO's, and right beside NS7000.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishmilk
    Well the NS series are a bit out of her budget,
    If she has a tight budget and durability is her concern, then, pretty much scratch Yonex off her shopping list. She has better chance to get a good deal in other reputable brands.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The older Yonex models could be considerable as well as long if you are able to find them.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I forced her to play with a 3U MP99. She was certain she'd hate it, but it turned out good. After a few mishits, she played brilliantly with it. She's not your typical girl, she's extremely atheletic, but the need for a light racquet is just because that's what she's played with for 3 years.

    I'd still like to know about the AT150 though.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your mind
    Posts
    809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lol, what a nice friend you are..

    Well, it's all for the best, if you want to survive and evolve, then you have to adapt.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Fishmilk:

    Seem like a nice upgrade for her to use the MP99! Just curious did you read the PM yet?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Redcar, UK
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishmilk
    I'd still like to know about the AT150 though.
    FYI: According to a (fairly reliable) UK site that sells the entire current yonex range, the AT250 is more even-balance, while the AT150 is head-heavy. Which I find a bit confusing, personally.

    Also, just a few suggestions if using/sticking with an MP99 isn't possible/temporary:

    My preference is 3U head-light racquets personally, and I find 3U even-balance racquets 'ok' to use, whereas 4U even-balance racquets seem quite good for me. Your friend might be better with an even balance racquet, as long as it's lighter than a 3U head-light racquet. For a 4U fairly even-balance racquet, something like an Ashaway Ti-130 would be good; that shouldn't be too expensive if you can find one in your country/online or whatever.

    Also if you can get a hold of Slazenger racquets where you are or from an online shop based in your country, the Slazenger Xcel S1 and Xcel S2 are good head-light racquets in my opinion. Due to Slazenger's low publicity and or unpopularity, they are often a quarter to a half at most their original RRP.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    vietnam
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by fishmilk
    I know the Yonex charts are hardly reliable, but still.

    I have a friend who wants to buy a racquet to replace her ISO97VF. (Hang on, this isn't a racket recommendation thread) The ISO97VF is very headlight, and its the only thing she's used to. She can't even use a MP30 which is even-balance.

    So I told her NS7000 was a good choice, but it's too expensive. The Yonex charts puts AT150 right beside NS7000. That should mean its a light racquet based more on control and speed than power. That would hardly be the case if it were headlight though.

    Anybody know what kind of balance the AT150 is and how it plays?

    Yonex MP 66 is head lite and flexable....std 84grm but plays fast...mine is strung with bg 85 at 9.5k....has fine control and touch but lacks a little power...priced around 100usd....
    Kawasaki Power 657 is very headlite and plays too fast for me...(missed the bird 2 times first time I played with it)...It is good racket and priced at about 30usd...Problem is finding them...here in Vietnam they are just getting recognized as a good buy.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    surrey, england
    Posts
    878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post

    i can think of the perfect racket!!!

    carlton airblade superlite, it only 39.99. it is superhead light ad has a great feel to it. what you have describedso far this racket would be perfect.

    (not sure why this thread is called "AT150 - headlheavy?", but i will tell you that it as like everyone else to try and keep my post slightly on topic )

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Redcar, UK
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindanfan
    i can think of the perfect racket!!!

    carlton airblade superlite, it only 39.99. it is superhead light ad has a great feel to it. what you have describedso far this racket would be perfect.

    (not sure why this thread is called "AT150 - headlheavy?", but i will tell you that it as like everyone else to try and keep my post slightly on topic )
    Agree that'd also be a good & suitable racquet, if they can get it for the same price or import it. Bare in mind it is a classic-shaped head though, some like that, some don't, some don't mind either way. I myself switch between a Iso and Classic shaped racquet without any trouble.

    The Powerblade Superlite is also good, similar super-head-light but in an Isometric version for a similar price.

    Another suggestion could be a racquet I haven't tried yet, but - The Babolat Booster Lite seems like it'd do the trick looking at it's specs. Also an isometric head-light racquet with a bit smaller grip as it's 'designed for women' ( , Not that being a guy, that'd put me off at all. I'd love to try one personally, don't have cash at the moment.) But still, that's another head-light iso racquet that's "fairly" cheap (available from a few places here at about 40, should be similar prices elsewhere in whatever currency as it's not their 'top' model(s)).

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    surrey, england
    Posts
    878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by SPaterson
    Agree that'd also be a good & suitable racquet, if they can get it for the same price or import it. Bare in mind it is a classic-shaped head though, some like that, some don't, some don't mind either way. I myself switch between a Iso and Classic shaped racquet without any trouble.

    The Powerblade Superlite is also good, similar super-head-light but in an Isometric version for a similar price.

    Another suggestion could be a racquet I haven't tried yet, but - The Babolat Booster Lite seems like it'd do the trick looking at it's specs. Also an isometric head-light racquet with a bit smaller grip as it's 'designed for women' ( , Not that being a guy, that'd put me off at all. I'd love to try one personally, don't have cash at the moment.) But still, that's another head-light iso racquet that's "fairly" cheap (available from a few places here at about 40, should be similar prices elsewhere in whatever currency as it's not their 'top' model(s)).
    i forgot about babolats, i definetely agree that the booster lite would be a good choice. one problem may be availability of them and i know some people only like having main brands like yonex or carlton.

    the only reason i didn't say the powerblade superlite is because it is a fair bit more expensive (69.99) . i have looked at a few other carlton rackets and the powerblade lite is headlight and only 39.99, also the powerblade titanium is headlight and 34

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPaterson
    Agree that'd also be a good & suitable racquet, if they can get it for the same price or import it. Bare in mind it is a classic-shaped head though, some like that, some don't, some don't mind either way. I myself switch between a Iso and Classic shaped racquet without any trouble.

    The Powerblade Superlite is also good, similar super-head-light but in an Isometric version for a similar price.

    Another suggestion could be a racquet I haven't tried yet, but - The Babolat Booster Lite seems like it'd do the trick looking at it's specs. Also an isometric head-light racquet with a bit smaller grip as it's 'designed for women' ( , Not that being a guy, that'd put me off at all. I'd love to try one personally, don't have cash at the moment.) But still, that's another head-light iso racquet that's "fairly" cheap (available from a few places here at about 40, should be similar prices elsewhere in whatever currency as it's not their 'top' model(s)).

    Also agree that the Airblade Superlite is a great racket, I love the ease of use of this racket due to the light weight and balance. It helps with defending in doubles as it is very quickand easy to move. Also its great value being only 40

    The only thing that put me off the powerblade superlite is the fact that is slightly heavier( ~3grms) and having since used it it feels similar but there seems to be less stability and feels abit heavier also.

    The Babolat booster Lite is another great racket it reminded me of the Iso Slim 10, it feels very Light and easy to manoeuvre, I think one of the best choices for 40

Similar Threads

  1. how to keep it headheavy?
    By clife in forum Grip
    Replies: 10
    : 05-07-2010, 07:24 PM
  2. AT150 Or AT30
    By omgabeginner09 in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 4
    : 03-06-2010, 08:27 PM
  3. AT150, AT30, or NS500?
    By firearc in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 4
    : 07-24-2009, 01:10 AM
  4. MP 21 or AT150 or carbonex 8600 Ti
    By sri_doc in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 12
    : 09-16-2007, 11:03 PM
  5. Looking for an upgrade from an AT150
    By The Punisher522 in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 1
    : 05-23-2007, 05:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •