Badminton Specific Shoes - Sole Colour

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Scoobz, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Scoobz

Scoobz Regular Member

Since I began playing badminton when I was pretty young (around 7 or 8 years old I think with my Dad), I have always noticed the signs that used to hang outside sports-hall doors requesting that "No Black Soled Shoes" to be worn.

Since those days of 'plimsoles' used by Schoolchildren and Dunlop Greenflash (having natural rubber coloured soles)... Training shoe design has evolved somewhat and technology now provides black soles that do NOT leave great big black marks all over your court.

I have a specific need for training/running shoes to prevent flaring up of shin-splint pain and knee joint problems (I have arthritis)... I presently have two pairs of Pearl Izumi running shoes (one for outdoor use and one pair for indoor use). They are specifically chosen by a professional running coach to match my anatomy and ergonomically suited to my level of over-pronation when I run. They are pretty expensive due to the significant technology they incorporate and I never have any pain when exercising with them on (not from my feet, ankles or legs anyway).

What I want to know is..... If I am to join a local Badminton Club, will I get comments from members about the fact the soles on the shoes are black (despite them being non-marking BRS soles)??
    I don't fancy buying a pair of specific badminton shoes that offer none of the technical benefits my Pearl Izumi shoes do, purely to conform with an age old requirement for soles that "aren't black".

The shoes I presently wear are:

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=707&type_id=1&sport_id=1&category_id=7&color_code=140

#1 Scoobz, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  2. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    Most of the clubs I find here in Australia just say 'non marking shoes'... nothing about black soled shoes. From a personal view, you need to conform with your OWN body first and go with the Pearl Izumi (unless the badminton shoes provide similar protection). There's no point in buying something and then getting injured or pain just to 'fit in with the crowd'. I'm sure you can just sit outside the court, do a few runs and shuffles and show them that your shoes dont mark the court. If it does, then laters to you (hehehe.. at that club of course).

3. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    What kind of material were the soles made from??? Why would they leave marks..:confused:

4. Scoobz

Scoobz Regular Member

I think that many years ago, black soled training shoes used very soft rubber material that shedded itself and therefore left black marks along sportshall surfaces.

Since those days, technology has improved and unless you are buying pretty cheap shoes (meaning cheap materials used to manufacture), it is unlikely that your soles wlil mark the floor, no matter what colour they are.

I think it is possibly just tradition that keeps manufacturers of badminton shoes to use orange and white sole material. I suspect tha material used is identical to most good quality running/training shoes.

I'll keep wearing my Pearl Izumis for now (while playing socially with friends) and then address the situation if I decide to join my local club. I shall indeed prove my point, if necessary !?!

Many thanks for your comments.

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I suppose a good question would be : are shoes specially designed for running suitable for playing badminton?

I find that with running shoes, the shoes make me continue to move forwards after taking a step. However, badminton movements are typically 2-3 steps, stop, then reverse direction. If you try to force this movement pattern onto your expensive running shoes which are designed to be most effective for normal forward running, you'll be stressing the shoes in ways they weren't designed to handle. The result in this case would be less efficiency in your movement as well as premature failure of the shoes.

Just some things to think about.

6. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i think premature failure of the shoes is the least of your worries.
    i'd be scared of toppling over with those high heels.
    just put a pair of mizuno or yonex badminton shoes beside a pair of nike or adidas runners and you'll immediately notice how tall the runners are in comparison.

7. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    Just do a search on 'is running shoes suitable for badminton'.

Lots of discussion stating they're the worst kind of shoes to wear

8. Scoobz

Scoobz Regular Member

Adidas and Nike shoes that you buy from your local sports shop are NOT running shoes... They are fashion accessories, nothing more.

I wouldn't run in a pair of standard 'training shoes' the likes of Adidas or Nike, equally I wouldn't play badminton in them either.

The running shoes I use are specifically designed to offer support yo the ankle, shins and knees when running on a variety of surfaces. They are designed for people who over-pronate when running. The strong support ensures that you don't "topple over".

They are indeed slightly higher than a standard badminton shoe, but the reason for this is the extensive cushioning present in the sole, which for me is totally necessary to prevent flare-up from arthritic joints and existing shin-split problems.

I have no problems in changing direction wearing the Pearl Izumis and tend to find movement around the court much easier than others I see who are wearing badminton specific training shoes.

Premature failing of the shoe is unlikely, although possible. It isn't however a problem to me if they are serving the purpose of reducing over-pronation and inflammatory pain.

My question was over the colour of the soles... Regardless of the technology involved in the shoe design.... Is it accepted generally that the colour of the sole does not matter?