Proper Grip Injury

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by XKazeCloudX, Apr 14, 2006.

1. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    Hey, i recently learned how to grip properly. However the web between my thumb and pointing finger seems to be swelled up and it is painful :( . A day ago the knuckles on my pointer hurts too. I think it is because when i hold the "proper grip" my finger is placed too high on the racket? and when i clear or smash i didnt strengthen that finger and it pushes my finger backwards. Does anybody know where i should place this finger? or is it just the first time I hold it like this it happens and it will go away after a week or two?

2. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Haha, I would hardly call this an injury. Most badminton players have their entire hands full of calisses. In fact, I can now pick up sharp objects with my right hand without getting a mark :D

3. XKazeCloudX

Student
    oh...ic haha..well this is like my first year playing and im not very good just athletic. so its normal to have this right? just wondering if i was doing it wrong.

4. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    the one about your index finger hurting should not happen. the calisses are normal however

5. XKazeCloudX

Student
    well uhm..what am i doing wrong? is it just because im not stengthening my index enough and it bends it back?

6. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    It is not possible to answer your question with the limited information. Perhaps you can post a picture?

It is strange that your index finger was pushed back by your racquet. A badminton racquet is light, even a small child can hold it well. :D Kwun's son is less than one year old and already could hold up a racquet with his single left hand!

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No, I don't think you have learned how to grip properly. You should not "point" your finger. The index finger should not hurt, and it should not be "pushed back".

It sounds like you are straightening your finger, rather than wrapping it comfortably around the handle. This is ineffective and can cause injury. A picture would help confirm this.

I don't think you should be developing callouses either. I don't have any!

Read the BC grips guide for more information: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/content/view/81/35/

(new and improved version on the way.....er.....sometime. I promise).

#7 Gollum, Apr 16, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  8. XKazeCloudX

Student
    well im actualy not having that finger straightened it is wraped and it jus is pushing the finger back when i clear or smash it overhand. ...do i have like..a deformed hand or something -__-'' and yes it does look pretty much like those pictures you have linked.

9. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Proper Forehand Grip

Hi. Check your grip here: please go to this link, page down and click on the "sample # 4" link: it's a page from the section on the proper Forehand Grip from the book, "Advanced Badminton Techniques":

http://instructoons.com/book/about_book.php

10. XKazeCloudX

Student
    yes my grip is like that and the index finger is even lower then that too.

11. Peter Chang

Peter Chang New Member

Proper Grip

You should also maintain a flexible grip in play. Never grip it too tight otherwise you loose the flexibility of control. The fact is that a good player never holds the racket in one fixed grip. A loose grip allows you to manuver your returns depending on how and what kind of return you want. There should always be a little gap between you palm and the handle. I suggest that you pay attention to the advanced players and observe how they hold their rackets, then you try it on your own.