Singles.. HELP!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Darma Sucipto, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

hey guys...
    lets say there's an opponent which his footwork is very fast, like in the game, his footwork is 100% never die before. No matter where i hit the shuttle, he still can return all my shots and i ended up losing the rally because of my mistakes. His placing and shots is not evil or smart but can be tricky sometimes. My smash is sharper and stronger than his.
    so i ended losing to him 12-21 because of consistancy. so how to play with this opponent? thanks....:D

2. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    Looks like this guy has been anticipating your shots right from the beginning!! :crying: ...well, you may want to start thinking about tactics on your side rather than the opponent (not only his footwork):p . Are you exacuting your most confident shots or simply trying to play smart but inconsistent?? Are you returning your shots to the furthest distance away from your opponent each time?? When I first started playing singles, experienced the same problem as you do...thought that my opponent outran me in everyway but eventually understood that I was the one who had been doing all the wrong moves :p :p :p :D :D

3. Darma Sucipto

haha...im playing my most confident shots actually. yeap..im returning my shots to the furthest distance from him. but he still can chase it. This guy is a state number 1 player actually. no matter whom he play with, his footwork is like 100% never die at all.

4. terry

terry Regular Member

Mr.Darma,
    You should ask ur 'sifu' at Nusa Mahsuri leh. But i can see you train very hard. Keep it up...!

:)

5. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

In the world of singles, having great smashes does not guarantee you to win the match!

It sounds like to me you have met a far superior opponent and he is just wanting to maintain the rally, tire you out, and let you make the mistakes, versus thrashing you 21-1.

Take this as a learning opportunity to test the quality of your shots and your strategic play...it's how many points I can get versus how can I win this game!

Cheers!

6. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    If you are really sure about your shots, then the only way is to play consistent and safe and wait for him to make mistakes!! Even if his level is above yours, he is bound to make mistakes, no matter what!!

...but...again, do enjoy and learn from the master...

7. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    let me guess, you seldom play singles?

you need to save stamina for singles, i think that's crucial. when you're more tired, you often make more mistakes, that explains your inconsistency. and check your stamina. is his stamina far more superior than u? if it is, u might have lost half the match already.Also, you might not even be clearing to baseline and u don't notice it

8. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    invite him into attacking play!! like give him super high shots to the back court... see how he response :p
    but of coz... u gota be able to defend too ok?
    Then counter his attack asap.....

9. Monster

Monster Regular Member

darma, you sound like me.

i think stamina is very important and be able to move around quickly.

10. Darma Sucipto

No...you are wrong. i always play singles actually and seldom play doubles. 85% of my games are playing singles and 15% playing doubles. haha...and somemore i make mistakes not because im tired. im a school 1500m and 800m and cross country runner besides badminton player. In my training im like 1 of the fittest player there.
    so since my smashing are more powerful and sharper than his, should i play more attacking game with him? if yes, how to set up the rally to give me more chance to attack?

11. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    u say u lose becoz of mistake right? then try not to make mistake by not making demanding shots, or initiating the attack...
    If u say this guy wins because u make so many mistake then perhaps u should work on reducing it...
    So the stratergy u should try is be patient... rally more... and let him attack you and wait for a counter attack

12. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    maybe your trying to play that perfect shot. im guessing your mistakes arent from power shots, but touch shots. nets and drops. since the game is so face-paced, you cannot always play that perfect shot. maybe this will help you be more consistant

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It sounds like he is a better player than you, and probably quite a lot better at the moment.

Note his strengths:
    • Excellent footwork
    • Very fast
    • Deceptive
    • Never tires
    • Can play consistent returns even under pressure
    Now look at your strengths:
    • Stronger and steeper smash
    It is no surprise that you lose to such a player. Your smash hardly matters because he will never let you get a good opportunity to use it; smashing is much harder in singles.

I think the only way to win will be to improve your consistency, your footwork, and your range of deceptive strokes. When you can match him on these elements, your better smash will start to become a powerful weapon for finishing the point. But until then, he will never let you have an opportunity to use it.

14. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

I think you should tell as a bit about urself and your level of play. having a steep smash can mean your a pro or it could mean your a beginnier. And are you describing him compared to you? or is his footwork perfect against anyone and he can return any shot anywhere against anyone?

Anyways if its consistancy you lack, and youi said you have great stamina above, go for a endurance/defence game, alot of clears to different corners and drops.

15. bigfatfish

bigfatfish Regular Member

Re: Singles

The previous posts have pointed out the important fact.

You have to make safe play with patience. Let the role be reversed...
    Let him make the unforced errors.

You have to go to your coach for advice and post game debrief.

-How did you earn the 12 points?
    -What is his unforce error percetage?
    -How did you lost the rally?
    -Were you caught off-guard and lost the rally due to his 'tricky' shots or
    deceptions?
    -What were you thinking of?
    (did you give up during the game or were frustrated or at wits' end
    when he can return every shots?)
    -Where did you make the most unforced errors (which shot)? Try to avoid
    that shot.
    -Since his smashes are not as sharp and deadly, if your error or where u
    were caught wrong footed is at net shots, lob high and far.

Most players anticipated their opponent's shots when they can reach the
    bird early. Try to be more deceptive.
    Since you say you have excellent stamina, match his.
    Get him to move maximum distance (but your shots within safe boundary).
    See who gets tire out first.

If there is anyone to refer to, I guess it would have to be the Great Dane,
    (sorry, no offence, not the dog species, but he's really great) Morten Frost.

#15 bigfatfish, Apr 17, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  16. liyux2

liyux2 Regular Member

Student
    maybe you should just aim him instead of away if your smash is mroe powerful. also maybe you should play like him stall and wait for his mistake and don't try to do too demanding shots just play it safe ;)

17. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    If you're really smart you won't be thinking about beating him next time you come across him, rather ask him where and how he learned his technique, and if you want to be cheeky ask him to teach you :) .

18. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

There's two ways to play against this kind of people. First is as people have pointed out, but I think this is not the way for you to win that is to rally with the person. The point of playing like this ofcourse is to learn to be consistent and deceptive at the same time, don't expect to win this way though, cause its his turf.

If you want to win, work on being faster and more powerful to the extent that he have trouble rallying with you and is forced to lift up the shuttle more often. Then you have to smash him repetitively and rush the shuttle at the net if he blocks it to the net, but you don't have to tap it if its not a clear winner, you can always learn to be deceptive too when rushing the net. If you train your smash to be powerful enough, you might as well finish him off with smashes all the time ;) Remember this: Stick with what you do best, hone your strength and cover up for your weakness. Also, if your smash is very hard, you can always shoot a half smash once in a while to throw off his rythm or a very fast slice dropshot.

#18 Iwan, May 3, 2006
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  19. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    Well I play singles most of the time, so from what you're saying you seem to be outclassed by this guy. However, having a strong smash is good thing if you know when to use it. When playing against fast players with stamina, deception can work wonders into your game. Some players move too fast away from the same spot and you can attack the same spot over and over again. (Assuming your placement is decent enough) Disguising your smash for another shot such as a drop or a clear can also throw off the rythym of your oppenent.

Since you constantly play with him, you should also notice his strengths. For example, I have a friend who is great at driving the birdie. Pretty much anyone that drives the birdie continuously to him will lose the rally. So to throw his rythym off from driving, I drop the birdie to make him follow my rythym instead. Changing the momentum of the game to your advantage is sometimes quite important in a game. You can do something similar if you play against him.