User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 19

Thread: Singles.. HELP!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Singles.. HELP!

    hey guys...
    lets say there's an opponent which his footwork is very fast, like in the game, his footwork is 100% never die before. No matter where i hit the shuttle, he still can return all my shots and i ended up losing the rally because of my mistakes. His placing and shots is not evil or smart but can be tricky sometimes. My smash is sharper and stronger than his.
    so i ended losing to him 12-21 because of consistancy. so how to play with this opponent? thanks....

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Looks like this guy has been anticipating your shots right from the beginning!! ...well, you may want to start thinking about tactics on your side rather than the opponent (not only his footwork) . Are you exacuting your most confident shots or simply trying to play smart but inconsistent?? Are you returning your shots to the furthest distance away from your opponent each time?? When I first started playing singles, experienced the same problem as you do...thought that my opponent outran me in everyway but eventually understood that I was the one who had been doing all the wrong moves

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by psplrd
    Looks like this guy has been anticipating your shots right from the beginning!! ...well, you may want to start thinking about tactics on your side rather than the opponent (not only his footwork) . Are you exacuting your most confident shots or simply trying to play smart but inconsistent?? Are you returning your shots to the furthest distance away from your opponent each time?? When I first started playing singles, experienced the same problem as you do...thought that my opponent outran me in everyway but eventually understood that I was the one who had been doing all the wrong moves
    haha...im playing my most confident shots actually. yeap..im returning my shots to the furthest distance from him. but he still can chase it. This guy is a state number 1 player actually. no matter whom he play with, his footwork is like 100% never die at all.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts
    2,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Mr.Darma,
    You should ask ur 'sifu' at Nusa Mahsuri leh. But i can see you train very hard. Keep it up...!


  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darma Sucipto
    (1) there's an opponent which his footwork is very fast
    (2) No matter where i hit the shuttle, he still can return all my shots
    (3) i ended up losing the rally because of my mistakes
    (4) His placing and shots is not evil or smart but can be tricky sometimes.
    (5) My smash is sharper and stronger than his
    In the world of singles, having great smashes does not guarantee you to win the match!

    It sounds like to me you have met a far superior opponent and he is just wanting to maintain the rally, tire you out, and let you make the mistakes, versus thrashing you 21-1.

    Take this as a learning opportunity to test the quality of your shots and your strategic play...it's how many points I can get versus how can I win this game!

    Cheers!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you are really sure about your shots, then the only way is to play consistent and safe and wait for him to make mistakes!! Even if his level is above yours, he is bound to make mistakes, no matter what!!

    ...but...again, do enjoy and learn from the master...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    971
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    let me guess, you seldom play singles?

    you need to save stamina for singles, i think that's crucial. when you're more tired, you often make more mistakes, that explains your inconsistency. and check your stamina. is his stamina far more superior than u? if it is, u might have lost half the match already.Also, you might not even be clearing to baseline and u don't notice it

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    MY
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    invite him into attacking play!! like give him super high shots to the back court... see how he response
    but of coz... u gota be able to defend too ok?
    Then counter his attack asap.....

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Brunei
    Posts
    453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    darma, you sound like me.

    i think stamina is very important and be able to move around quickly.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DivingBirdie
    let me guess, you seldom play singles?

    you need to save stamina for singles, i think that's crucial. when you're more tired, you often make more mistakes, that explains your inconsistency. and check your stamina. is his stamina far more superior than u? if it is, u might have lost half the match already.Also, you might not even be clearing to baseline and u don't notice it
    No...you are wrong. i always play singles actually and seldom play doubles. 85% of my games are playing singles and 15% playing doubles. haha...and somemore i make mistakes not because im tired. im a school 1500m and 800m and cross country runner besides badminton player. In my training im like 1 of the fittest player there.
    so since my smashing are more powerful and sharper than his, should i play more attacking game with him? if yes, how to set up the rally to give me more chance to attack?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    MY
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darma Sucipto
    No...you are wrong. i always play singles actually and seldom play doubles. 85% of my games are playing singles and 15% playing doubles. haha...and somemore i make mistakes not because im tired. im a school 1500m and 800m and cross country runner besides badminton player. In my training im like 1 of the fittest player there.
    so since my smashing are more powerful and sharper than his, should i play more attacking game with him? if yes, how to set up the rally to give me more chance to attack?
    u say u lose becoz of mistake right? then try not to make mistake by not making demanding shots, or initiating the attack...
    If u say this guy wins because u make so many mistake then perhaps u should work on reducing it...
    So the stratergy u should try is be patient... rally more... and let him attack you and wait for a counter attack

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Monterey Park
    Posts
    349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    maybe your trying to play that perfect shot. im guessing your mistakes arent from power shots, but touch shots. nets and drops. since the game is so face-paced, you cannot always play that perfect shot. maybe this will help you be more consistant

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,926
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darma Sucipto
    hey guys...
    lets say there's an opponent which his footwork is very fast, like in the game, his footwork is 100% never die before. No matter where i hit the shuttle, he still can return all my shots and i ended up losing the rally because of my mistakes. His placing and shots is not evil or smart but can be tricky sometimes. My smash is sharper and stronger than his.
    so i ended losing to him 12-21 because of consistancy. so how to play with this opponent? thanks....
    It sounds like he is a better player than you, and probably quite a lot better at the moment.

    Note his strengths:
    • Excellent footwork
    • Very fast
    • Deceptive
    • Never tires
    • Can play consistent returns even under pressure
    Now look at your strengths:
    • Stronger and steeper smash
    It is no surprise that you lose to such a player. Your smash hardly matters because he will never let you get a good opportunity to use it; smashing is much harder in singles.

    I think the only way to win will be to improve your consistency, your footwork, and your range of deceptive strokes. When you can match him on these elements, your better smash will start to become a powerful weapon for finishing the point. But until then, he will never let you have an opportunity to use it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darma Sucipto
    hey guys...
    lets say there's an opponent which his footwork is very fast, like in the game, his footwork is 100% never die before. No matter where i hit the shuttle, he still can return all my shots and i ended up losing the rally because of my mistakes. His placing and shots is not evil or smart but can be tricky sometimes. My smash is sharper and stronger than his.
    so i ended losing to him 12-21 because of consistancy. so how to play with this opponent? thanks....
    I think you should tell as a bit about urself and your level of play. having a steep smash can mean your a pro or it could mean your a beginnier. And are you describing him compared to you? or is his footwork perfect against anyone and he can return any shot anywhere against anyone?

    Anyways if its consistancy you lack, and youi said you have great stamina above, go for a endurance/defence game, alot of clears to different corners and drops.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Singles

    The previous posts have pointed out the important fact.

    You have to make safe play with patience. Let the role be reversed...
    Let him make the unforced errors.

    You have to go to your coach for advice and post game debrief.

    -How did you earn the 12 points?
    -What is his unforce error percetage?
    -How did you lost the rally?
    -Were you caught off-guard and lost the rally due to his 'tricky' shots or
    deceptions?
    -What were you thinking of?
    (did you give up during the game or were frustrated or at wits' end
    when he can return every shots?)
    -Where did you make the most unforced errors (which shot)? Try to avoid
    that shot.
    -Since his smashes are not as sharp and deadly, if your error or where u
    were caught wrong footed is at net shots, lob high and far.

    Most players anticipated their opponent's shots when they can reach the
    bird early. Try to be more deceptive.
    Since you say you have excellent stamina, match his.
    Get him to move maximum distance (but your shots within safe boundary).
    See who gets tire out first.

    If there is anyone to refer to, I guess it would have to be the Great Dane,
    (sorry, no offence, not the dog species, but he's really great) Morten Frost.
    Last edited by bigfatfish; 04-17-2006 at 08:57 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    maybe you should just aim him instead of away if your smash is mroe powerful. also maybe you should play like him stall and wait for his mistake and don't try to do too demanding shots just play it safe

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darma Sucipto
    so how to play with this opponent? thanks....
    If you're really smart you won't be thinking about beating him next time you come across him, rather ask him where and how he learned his technique, and if you want to be cheeky ask him to teach you .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for singles
    By passiontea in forum Singapore
    Replies: 6
    : 03-30-2011, 07:38 AM
  2. Half court King for singles, but not full court Singles?
    By Chung_L_Lee in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 7
    : 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM
  3. Need help on singles.
    By novadragon849 in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 11
    : 05-11-2007, 11:06 AM
  4. Singles...
    By Matt Ross in forum Jonas Rasmussen Forum
    Replies: 1
    : 01-17-2004, 06:07 PM
  5. The Art of Singles.
    By Iwan in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 16
    : 04-04-2003, 07:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •