Diving for a bird

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by quik_silver, Apr 16, 2006.

1. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Hello members, I am just wondering if you are playing wooden floor gymnasium attempting to dive for a bird. Will you knees hurt extremly bad..? I am always scared of diving for a bird when I am out of reach and ended up losing a point for the cause.. ><"

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Diving is the very last option, proper footwork in much better in a short run (return quality) and long run (health).

2. If you really need to dive, never land on knee cap. Landing on the side of thigh is a safer choice. If you really want to "practice" such strokes, better consult with a reputable coach/trainer, and let them explain the technique inside.

3. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

If you're diving you shouldn't land in such a way as to hurt yourself.

However if you're just throwing yourself towards the shuttle, then you're 'falling' and you probably will hurt yourself.

Diving is just controlled falling. ;)

Remember, if you get the shuttle back over the net, your opponents MUST play it in order to win the point.

4. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
    my friends and i have scraped our knees a few times and gotten some bruises, but thats about as bad as it has gotten for us.

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

If you watch the pro's closely the dive and land on their hands and feet. They never land on their belly/knee/side unless they know the rally has ended...

6. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

student/ working in sport shop/ stringing
    i agree that when you dive you should ensure that you land on the side of your thigh not your kneecaps. the only time i would ever dive is as a last resort in an important game, i would never really dive at training sessions unless i know i have to win the game i.e. to get into the county team. i find that when i'm fired up and into an intense game that i don't feel any pain from the dive... i guess it's jsut the adrenaline :p. do any of you find this?

7. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

Well if you foot work is perfected, then diving wouldnt even be something you need to think about unless you want to learn trick shots/moves or whatever. For volley ball, when we dive we land sliding on our chest which is painless but you move forward alot, so you wouldnt be able to get back to the bird if your oppenent hits it back.

Most of the time there is no point of diving since you probably cant make a great shot in that position and cant get back and ready for the next hit.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Landing on hands and feet are even more dangerous, consider the impact/pressure on the joints. The "landing on hand/feet" is more like a put-off action, when they try to recover in position. :rolleyes:

9. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I dive all the time. It just comes natural to me, I dont really ever hurtmyself diving. Just make sure you dont land on a knee cap lol! That should be obvious tho, also if your momentum is going sideways and not vertical you will never really hurt yourself.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    some swear by it, is that right divingbirdie?:D

11. quik_silver

Analyst
    See I am always worrying hurting some part of my knee... I know it's pretty painful, it's like someone is cracking a cracker.. >< But watching Lin Dan doing the diving makes me want to join the diving exprience. :p

12. quik_silver

Analyst
    But you are different.. You train like almost everyday, from what you said in some other post.. You're like buffed up to do everything.

13. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    indeed and according to his older post Eurasian does hurt himself a lot ^_^
    but i remeber ppl telling me pros do train the dive with push up to propell
    the body back up and ready for the next shot as a last resort, like what we see LD demonstrate it constandly. I guess its a technique they actually train and learn how to do it safely then a "I feel like diving today" kinda thing.
    I'm no pro so when i see a hard wood floor, i'll leave the diving part behind in my volleyball game where i am geared up with knee pad

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Indeed that proper technics and practice should be involved in diving, or any strokes / movement in any sports. Any bully or show-off attempt will result in risky situation.

I remember once I was watching some tv show, which is an interview with a group of airborne rangers. They said, NEVER land on any joints or tail bones or heels. Those are the fragile parts with smaller impact area, which means great chance of serious injury. :eek:

15. -George-

-George- Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    personally i always find diving kinda pointless cos even if you do scrape the shuttle back, its nearly always a poor loopy shop, which is easily put away by ur opponent cos ur on the floor. u also have to spend some time drying the court because of the sweat now on the court.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't think you can judge an effort by the result. It's true that diving usually do NOT gurantee you win a rally, but the mental effect (never give up attitude) does do some magic on your opponents and your teammate (if double or team tourny). Never to metion, if there's great team effort involved, in a double game, a dive might save a rally, if your teammate has an effective coverage.

Regarding to the sweat, that's just a joke to me. Even without diving or falling, we still need to whip the floor due to sweat. :cool:

17. zach1234

zach1234 Regular Member

Well, i'm no expert and I rarely dive - but in the last tournament i played i think I must have been getting tired and dove twice in one match. When i dove on both occasions, I used my left hand (non racquet hand) to slow me down and then put my feet down (toes) to prevent my knees from hitting the ground (like doing a one-handed pushup) then i let my chest come in contact with the ground... all this in a split second. I had no floor burns or bruises and I was able to jump back up fast (by using my left hand and feet to spring back up by doing a push-up like motion).

Im not sure if this is a good method, but it worked for me and allowed me to stay in the rally and it did not hurt one bit. As well, im sure it surprised my opponent that i was able to return it. As well - somebody mentioned drying the court after diving (sweat)... DO IT! no reason risking injury when it could have been prevented by just running a towel over it.

Hope this somewhat helped,
    Zach Z

18. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

student/ working in sport shop/ stringing
    i've just thought of another time i dive... well its more of a collapse than a dive. when im playing a hard singles game which goes to 3 sets and i'm really tired, i might just like dive or land on the floor if i have to get to the net very quickly. what happens is because i have leapt my legs give way and it turns into a dive.

would you class this as a dive or just falling over?

19. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

haha, yes i get injured but none of it is really serious. Also, none of it is from diving i can promise you haha! For the record though I didn't really start diving until I started training to be more competitive. If your playing at the highschool or beginner levels, generally, your not going to be diving. Unless you play volleyball. Also diving is like riding a bicycle, you fall scrape your knees at first but once you learn you do it easily.