MP 77 Similar to MP99??

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by milton_ng, Apr 16, 2006.

1. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    RE: MP77 Similarto MP99??

Hie guyss..I was hoping if any of u would be kind enough to give me some valueble advice here. well I'm actually in a dilemma of whether to get myself a MP77 or MP99 instead, since I like Lightweight & even balance 3U racquets.. I've yet to try either of them btw..and wouldn't have the chance to do so here, till I purchase them..

Please take note that I'm an Intermediate player, who plays in both doubles & singles..I'm a more diffensive player who like to do stretegic long lops or net drops (but drops seems to be a lil too high or far these days).. I only smash occationally, if oviously I really have to kill off the game..And I really want to improve on my smashes too..I'm trying to learn the art of more tricky wrist play as well..

In my current collections, I own a:

MP66 (3U) - It's nice as it's headlight, but it's really too flexible for me..no smash power at ALL!! therefore I'm a little worried if this would apply to me if I get a NS7000?? p.s. BTW, I would also really appreciate it if anyone could rate the stiffness of MP77, MP99, & NS7000 for me..

CAB21 SP (2U) - It's just too heavy/head heavy for me..n it's too stiff as well!! It really slow down my pace n hard to smash..

Please take note too that way I smash is usually a very Wristy Forearm Swing, rather then WHOLE ARM SWING..

So to make a safe choice, I am thinking of whether to purchase a MP77/MP99..I like Medium stiff racquets btw.. would either these racquets be too stiff for me?

And btw i'm from Malaysia, and it seems that they have discontinued MP77 over here..Not even Pertama Complex has it anymore..do u guys know where else in this whole wide world I could get a genuine MP77 3u? Or MP99 3U(since most of them are in 2U here)?

Lastly I've heard commends regarding quality difference between JP version and SP's? How far is this true btw? Is it that most of our national players would usually get JP versions, while normal consumers like us usually get the lower grad ones?? if its true, it seems to be a little unfair eh?

Anyway really hope u guys could help me out here..It will be a pleasure to hear from any of you.. God Bless..

- Milton

#1 milton_ng, Apr 16, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  2. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

Hi milton,

I own both the MP 77 and the MP 99. Started out with the 77 first and it's head-heavy despite being labeled as even-balanced. I found that my defence suffered a bit in doubles due to its heavier head weight.

I suggest that you go for the MP99 - 3U. It's very versatile.

These two racquets are rated as Stiff and Extra Stiff by Yonex. If you really want a medium-flex racquet then try the MP 88.

If you really want to get the MP77, I can sell you mine. :D

Good luck.

3. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    I see i see...

thnx mate! (iso300) for the advice..how much will u be willing to offer, if u were to sell your MP77 bro? what version is it btw..i.e .SP,JP??

I thought of the MP88 b4 but thats a head heavy racquet..and head heavy one like the AT800OF (4U) just doesn't appeal to me..

BTW, Is the MP99 significantly stiff then the MP77?

4. blinan8088

blinan8088 Regular Member

IT Programmer
    From your explanation, I think you prefer a racket which is head light or even-balanced and medium stiff. What about NS6000?

AFAIK, MP88 is head heavy and perhaps MP99 might be too stiff for you.

5. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

My MP77 is the Canadian version (CD). But you shoudln't go for it since it's head heavy. I'll keep it as my backup.

I do find that the MP99 flexes just a bit more than the MP77. I'm pretty sure that both racquets of mine are genuine, otherwise I have a score to settle with someone on the MP99. hehehe

6. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    I'm just a little afraid NS6000 = MP66

hie blinan..thnx for trying to help out..but yeah i'm just a little afraid the NS6000 would be the dissapointment I had wiv my MP66.. well i guess being a little more stiff then medium-stiff would be fine wiv me, as long as its LIGHT & at least EVEN BALANCE..

Oh btw blinan..I see that ur from Indon..Which makes me recall that I receive a brand new AT800 OF from Chandra Wijaya recently..I'm serious..no kidding! he happens to be a close friend of another fren of mine..but well too bad it's a head heavy racquet..didn;t apply to me at all..so I just gave it to someone else as a gift..I really admire taufik btw ;)

7. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    thnx iso..

Trully appreciate... ;)

8. blinan8088

IT Programmer
    That's so cool!!! I think you should keep it as a good gift, but I am sure that you give it to someone really special to you. :)

One of my coaches also once received a Yonex Cab20 Power from Joko Suprianto when he was still playing for Indonesian team. It seems that pro players have access to various rackets since they are sponsored.

I admire Lee Chong Wei... :)

9. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    MP99 or NS7000?? Please help!!

Hie guys..I've decided to narrow my choice of which racquet to purchase, by dropping out MP77 as I was told by ISO300 that mp77 is a heavier head racquet then mp99 tho both are stated as even balance.. but on the other hand I've been advice by some to give consideration on a NS7000.. so in here I wonder if anyone here, would be kind enough to give me a detail comparison between the both (MP99 v NS7000)..

Like which is stiffer then the other?

which has better power, drobs, lobs, smashes, for a forehand swing smashe, but yet defensive player like me?

Btw, are the MP99 more Aerodynamic then the other MP's??

Thank you so much in advance..

p.s. I don't like head heavy racquets..and I'd like to make a safe choice..

#9 milton_ng, Apr 16, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  10. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

Hey milton,

What a co-incidence, I also have the NS7000. :D I'm a defensive player too.
    I currently use both the MP99 and the NS7000: both great racquets. For better smashes/power go with MP99. In defensive mode in doubles, returning shots is quite easy with the NS7000 due to its lightness. The NS7000 is head-light but not powerless. In terms of stiffness, MP99 is more stiff.

Since you also play singles, it might be better off going with a regular weight racquet such that of the MP99. If you play doubles primarily then consider the NS7000. Of course the results obtained mostly depends on the player. Now time to put away my two racquets :D

You can also search the threads here on BC, there has been some talk on the comparison of these two racquets.

11. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    Thnx lots iso...But just curious, do u know much about the NS8000? can it be said that it's an ALL rounded racquet that is in between a MP99 & NS8000? I heard that the NS8k is a little head heavier & stiffer then NS7K..but none the less still head light compare to MP99.. so i wonder since i'm looking for just ONE all-purpose racquet..would it be wise to purchase an MP99, NS8K, or NS7k..

oh btw..do u feel NS7K would perform well in singles too? since I usually depend much on my fast pace/speed to win a game..rather then my moderate smashes..

Lastly do u think NS8000 will be stiffer then a MP99?

p.s. I'm interested in getting a 3U racquet in any choice i made..But I only have a chance to touch a MP99 2U y'day..and yeah it's REALLY stiff..(I thought at first that bcuz of the ultimum-TI, that wud make it less stiff..but am surprise it's still so stiff..Ididn't really get a chance to play wiv it tho..)

- So i wonder too if a 3U MP99 would be less stiff compare to a 2U MP99??

12. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

I'm sorry I can't tell you much about the NS8000. But there are many threads that discuss about this model. Please do a search.

I see that a lot more pro's use the NS8000 compared to the NS7000 in singles. Looks like your all-purpose racquet will be a MP99 or NS8K. :) But is there a way you can try other people's racquets before making a final decision?

The MP99 and NS8K should have the same stiffness as they are both rated Extra Stiff. I really don't know about the stiffness between a 2U and 3U of the same model. But given the lighter weight of the 3U, it should be a little less stiff but not by much. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

13. blinan8088

IT Programmer
    I think NS8K is stiffer than MP99 although Yonex rates them the same, my personal opinion. :)

2U MP99 and 3U MP99 should have the same stiffness if they both are new. The difference in U does not affect the shaft stiffness. CMIIW.

I see that you have tried an MP99. If you like it, just go for it. :) Many BC'ers are fond of this racket.

14. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    Thnx guys for all the replies.. hie iso, I was just thinking say if I'm interested in getting the MP77..will u still be willing to sell it to me? Or else do u know where's the other places I could get it these days? I'm pretty much interested in 3UG4 versions.. thnx yep! peace..*

15. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

Hey Milton,

Mine is the 3UG3 version. Another fellow BC'er (from Toronto) already asked if I was selling it or not. :) Probably it'll cost you more for the shipping than the racquet since we're located so far apart. :p

I thought you were going to get an all-purpose racquet after all?

16. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    Yeah i get what u mean..I guess I was just a little curious thats all.. ur a very honest person.. I respect that. Yeah guess I'm pretty much ina dillema right now of whether to get a MP99 or a NS7000.. It's pretty much a tough choice to make I guess..given that I've only got a budget for either one.. lol.. anyway ur such a lucky guys, since u have got both! :) Anyhow I wonder if u've tried ur NS7K for singles, how does it feel like? Is a a lot faster racquet compare to ur MP99? (btw is ur MP99 3U as well? just curious..) thnx lots mate, u've been of trully great help.. If u happen to drop by Malaysia, we should have a game or two.. And I'll treat u for that ;)

17. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

A new thread for MP99 vs. NS 7000 has just surfaced. Trust your instincts and hopefully you'll get the one more suited for you.

I have tried the NS7K for singles. I feel there's more power with the MP99. But since I'm a poor singles player it doesn't really matter which one I use. :)

Yes my MP99 racquet is a 3U - G5.

p.s. You know ever since I posted that message about the MP77, 3 BC'ers have PM'd me asking if I'm selling it. Yeah it's time to put it on E-Bay. Just kidding!

18. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    LOL..thnx iso ;)

19. LUKKK

LUKKK Regular Member

Student
    Ive used 3U4 MP77s for three years now. I recently purchased a 3U4 MP99 and im still trying to get used to it. I feel that the sweetspot on the MP99 is lower on the face of the racket whereas the MP77's is higher up. The MP77 is also somewhat more forgiving than the MP99 but the 99 offers more control. Just have to adjust my timing.

20. Lin Dan-Fan

Lin Dan-Fan Regular Member

Mr

I had the mp77 when i first started, it had GREAT power but as i didnt have it for that long i forgot what it was like. Now i use a mp99 and the racket is very powerful and good in both offense and defense. THe thing is the MP99 takes time to get used to as it is not very forgiving unlike the mp77, but then drops are easier to execute with the 99. I'd say they are both very similar rackets, It really comes down to how much money you'd want to spend as a MP77 is cheaper then MP99.

Edit: Haha my post is exactly like the one above