User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nah i didnt think it would affect me that much, when i was practise i thought i was just having a bad day not able to smash properly...then i go home sit down and admire my mp-99, 2 chips on the side of the frame.........and i pushed on the strings and they came out like a centimetre and i was like oh well, i can get it restrung so im not that mad....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I don't know how... but my friend who's not particularly strong has broken the BG85 in about 4 practises. One of those practises was purely serving for 2 hours so it didn't even really count.

The string was broke, it was 2 mains at once in the sweetspot... must've been some smash...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably a bad set of strings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25lbs shouldn't be much of an issue for someone going for a "tournament".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it strange that a strong play is having problem with 25lbs, i string my mp-99 with 25lbs and im doing fine with it. Im only at intermediate high school level. Anyways a good way i heard is to get a tennis ball and roll it around the string bed while applying pressure.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EastDevil
    25lbs shouldn't be much of an issue for someone going for a "tournament".
    Agree, even 30lbs. shouldn't be a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there is a link between your tension and your ability.

Perhaps a more able player can handle a higher tension, but a player who prefers lower tensions does not make them any less of a player.

Also you must realize, we are not PROFESSIONAL players, we go to tournaments for fun. She's been playing with factory strings from beginning to about 2 years ago, when her strings got EXTREMELY loose. Then she went for the basic BG65 until the strings were so loose, they started moving around a lot.

This brings back a thread, about the analogy between a chinese novel and badminton players' choices of racquets. I know a lot of players who are constantly tweaking their set-ups and always want to try the newest hype, and just never seem satisfied with the performance. Usually these are the lesser players who think that the "perfect" set-up can really make them play like a pro.

People like her, who only care a minimal amount about equipment (making sure that nothing is uncomfortable, and nothing is broken) are usually the ones who can use any racquet and let the playing do the talking.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fishmilk, so just curious, did you already make her tention loose or re-did the strining? I guess this is the person who you are referring to at the start of the thread as "she".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

top of page 2, i already said the string broke. I restrung some BG65 at 22lbs and she was right at home.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems good!! now just got to increase the tention up gradually for her to adapt next time =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fishmilk
    This brings back a thread, about the analogy between a chinese novel and badminton players' choices of racquets. I know a lot of players who are constantly tweaking their set-ups and always want to try the newest hype, and just never seem satisfied with the performance. Usually these are the lesser players who think that the "perfect" set-up can really make them play like a pro.

People like her, who only care a minimal amount about equipment (making sure that nothing is uncomfortable, and nothing is broken) are usually the ones who can use any racquet and let the playing do the talking.
    If you don't tweek your equipment, you probably don't know your equipment well. I was one of those lesser players who constantly tweeked my racket until I found the correct setting. After which my play transformed from a beginner to a strong intermediate in a matter of 2-3 months without coaching or training.

The fact that your friend can't handle a 25LB tension racket clearly demonstrates equipment does matter. If you did not 'tweek' her racket to have a lower tension, do you still think she can use her play to do the talking ?

Personally, I think it is a little irresponsible to increase someon's previously used tension by as much as 4LBs. If you placed some importance on equipment and studied them well, you may well have saved your friend a sore arm, lost games, and yourself some wasted string.
    Last edited by CoolDoo6; 05-12-2006 at 05:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2