i am onli 165...how can i get a steeper smash???

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bertbrainz, Apr 17, 2006.

1. bertbrainz

bertbrainz Regular Member

hey guys...i m currently standing at 165cm...n i super short...are there any ways or drills which i can make my smashes steeper?i realli need help in tis...
    *desperate*

2. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

... im shorter than you by a bit and smashing is not a problem, its the stupid attacking clears which i have to run back further to get. If you want a steeper smash first you have to get the techique right which i assume you did . Well when you smash arim and swing for the bird at the highest point possible, sometimes swing a bit eariler when the bird seems about an inch out of reach. That helps me get it to the highest point.

Also lean forward slightly and be on your toes for a bit of increase height. remember to stretch your body up or umm cant explain. Reach very high with your non racket hand before swinging.. something like that.

3. bertbrainz

haha...thkz thkz...ar der any drills 4 mi???

4. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

oh drills, right, i do the smash drop clear one

- First person who serves clears it far back from mid-back court for an easy smash.
    - 2nd person smashes the serve anyway he wishes i guess and gets ready to run forward
    - 1st person drops the smash and prepares to smash himself
    - 2nd person gets to the net and clears to mid/back court
    - 1st person smashes and so on

5. Chire

Chire Regular Member

Hm I'm only 5 cm taller, and what I do is jump as high as I can and then execute the smash (well jumpsmash actually). Not only can you achieve a better angle, but the power increases and it's more of a disguise as well.

6. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Well there are 2 key things that many people tend to forget when if comes to the smash. Most people think armswing with wrist at the end, which of course works, but would be more effective if these two things were included. The first is to reach as high as you can while you are behind the bird. It is very important to reach high, especially for angle and to be behind the bird will help your controll and power. THe second thing is a full body rotation. Dispite what ppl may think, this not only helps power, it helps angle as well. When you rotate your body fully, you get more controll for placement and angle.

7. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    jump high, practice your jump smash, for you to get a steeper smash you must be able to get the shuttle at the highest point you can.

8. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Bertbrainz, drink more nutrisoy, 2 litres everyday to try and grow taller :p Do lots of double step skipping, 30 minutes each time and maybe 3 to 5 times a week. Do a lot of jumping exercise, running, sprinting, and fast footwork training. You don't need steepness in your smashes, a person your size should work on your court speed and endurance instead of steep smashes. Also, work on strengthening your wrist, they can help get you out of sticky situation such as consecutive attacking lobs.

#8 Iwan, Apr 17, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  9. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

The only way to get steeper angle is to contact the shuttle at a higher point than you can reach and that can only be accomplished by JUMPING !!!!!! or by borrowing the arm off an orangutan...good luck

10. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

works well for angle but some people get less power from jump smashing.

11. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

hey, jump smashing when he's having trouble smashing while on the ground? lets not all jump on the lin dan wagon and turn pro overnight, okay?

he's 165cm... thats not very short at all.

i've seen B level adolescent girls that are shorter than the net.
    they're say, 5 feet tall.
    their arm span is perhaps, 2 to 2.5 feet long.
    their racquet is 66-67cm long (minus one or two from the bottom and the top for gripping habits and sweetspot location), thats another 60cm reach.
    then add a couple inches for a good hop and scissors step...

now add it all together, thats about 8 feet of reach.

i'm pretty certain he doesn't need to jump.
    jumping is great, yea, but when the individual is short, they also have short legs. and being able to run fast enough from one side of the court to the other and still have time to do a stable jump for a smash?
    you'd have to be super fit...

12. Gosupizza

Gosupizza Regular Member

most people who are short and cannot get a steep smash will make up with other things..

but if you REALLY are obssessed witht ehs tep smash, i suggest getting a 68 cm racket and then from there jsut increase your verticle by doing some jump training....

not much else you can do i suppose?

maybe get some high heels?:D

13. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Haha I am somewhere around your height.. It's not a big problem
    From my exprience
    #1) Get your angle from drops first.
    #2) Start to use more strength and try smashing the bird.
    #3) Then work on your placement.

14. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    I don't think height is a significant disadvantage since the majority of the #1 female players from the different schools in the district are fairly short. It's all a matter of technique and speed. If you can cover the whole court with precision, then it will be a matter of where you smash from. You should probably position your smashes up, with your racquet reaching somehwat up toward the shuttle, and not have it come down to your level, which is better complemented with a underhand clear, drop, or possibly drive. Work on the angle, as everyone has said.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think steeper smashes are dependent on the height and angle of your smashes. Contrary to what others say, a strong wrist does help in getting a steeper smash. See if your wrist goes through 180 degrees in your smash. If it doesn't go through even one degree won't go anywhere even if you pronate your forearm.

16. JBKokKeong

JBKokKeong Regular Member

The singles game today is not about having a deeper smash nowadays. Unless you are toking about doubles. You might want to look to Taufik for inspiration for he isnt very tall.

The facet of the singles have change. Instead of smashing deep, international players are now training to smash longer and wider to increase their variety of strokes. It more difficult to retrieve a longer powerful smash than a steeper smash for singles. But than again its all about situtaion.

One thing that will help you is that you need to learn how to be able to jump and smash with different strokes. A "jump and chop" smash will give you steeper shot and wider angles for your cross court smashes. However this will slow down your shuttle by abit but good enough as your opponent will have trouble reaching it. A jump and hard smash down the line along the angle of your opponent while he is returning to base is the most normal form of attack.

What added to this new attack is that instead of smashing deep, you smash slightly longer powerfully so that even if he is to return your shot, he cant do it with ease, even if he dives like Lin Dan or or Lee Chong wei. Neither can he return your long smashes with cross returns (Lee chong wei fav shot) so easily. PLus added to the fact that you will be ready to follow up your smash at the net or somewhere around there as his return is 95% expected to be weak.

This longer attacking move is repeated over alot of times during the China Masters if you notice carefully. It adds to your variation or arsenal of strokes to "confuse your opponents". Just like in doubles, you cant always smash deep, sometimes you need to set opportunities for your partner for an easy kill at the net by suddenly changing your angle of smash to catch your opponent unaware. (like smashing the 1st shot deep then suddenly smashing towards an angle near his body).

Of coz all this is theory and will be hard to absorb. Watch more games and you will know what i mean or you can join me on Saturdays at cck on sat morning where i hope we can exchange pointers on the game. I m always keen on learning more about the games.

Fred.

#16 JBKokKeong, Apr 17, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  17. bertbrainz

haha...hey thkz guys...i will try out the pointers tt u gav mi..but i m nt gonna try 2litres of nutrisoil(which will giv mi a tummyache) n high heels...=pPp...thkz guys!ur advises are deeply appreciated!

18. anarkia

anarkia Regular Member

Sit infront of the colourful box, that change colo
    haha he can't any taller........:D

bro MOD ur racket......change longer handle....should help.

19. bertbrainz

haha...if u all hav any tips on how to improve my game...pls advice mi...haha

20. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    Height is not so significant as you think.Watch the trajectory of the shuttle,move behind it,take off when it begins to fall or when it's momentun becomes zero,when you reach the maximum height lean back your upper body and fold your knees so that the lower legs come parallel to the floor. Then you can stay fraction of a second in the air. Now smash.Real gun shots will come from your racket if you can stay a split second in the air. I don't know whether this is scientific or not but I get very good result.