User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default tensioning the crosses

hi there,

when tensionign the crosses is it safe to tension every two strings? I start at the top. tie off weave two strings and tension that. let teh tension stay on for about 10secs longer than usual and clamp it. weave two crosses, tension the last, weave two tension once, weave two tension once etc.

is there anything wrong with that? I found the tension to be just as even as with tensionign every cross...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jerby,

The tension might be even for the cross strings. However, the earlier string should have lower tension due to the string friction. Just a little experiment fo you. Iassume you use drop weight machine. If so, after 10 sec for the string to settle, then raise the weight about 1 in (or 5 cm) and let it drop. You will see the weight is lower on the second try.

This might be related to your other post. Because you tension ever other cross, after few hr use, the 2 cross strings even out and you get the lower tension after 2 days.
    Last edited by silentheart; 04-17-2006 at 01:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart
    Hi Jerby,

The tension might be even for the cross strings. However, the earlier string should have lower tension due to the string friction. Just a little experiment fo you. Iassume you use drop weight machine. If so, after 10 sec for the string to settle, then raise the weight about 1 in (or 5 cm) and let it drop. You will see the weight is lower on the second try.

This might be related to your other post. Because you tension ever other cross, after few hr use, the 2 cross strings even out and you get the lower tension after 2 days.
    I'll try that. thanks!

just a side question (or two) are there any other ways of starting the crosses? could somebody post pictures on how to do a 'starting knot' and a 'tie off knot'? because I'm quite curious about how many ways there are to tie-off

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually start in the middle, and alternate between the top and bottom halves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    I'll try that. thanks!

just a side question (or two) are there any other ways of starting the crosses? could somebody post pictures on how to do a 'starting knot' and a 'tie off knot'? because I'm quite curious about how many ways there are to tie-off
    if i was you i would purchase a stringers digest from the USRSA. IMHO it has everything for a complete novice to learn how to string and it lists the patterns for almost every racket... the best part is it tells you the string lenghts for it. i know your not a novce at all but it could still be useful and it shows 2 or 3 starting knots and tie off knots. i think it is around $40. i got a 2nd hand one for 20 and it's all i will ever need. (after all that you probably already have one )

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lindanfan
    if i was you i would purchase a stringers digest from the USRSA. IMHO it has everything for a complete novice to learn how to string and it lists the patterns for almost every racket... the best part is it tells you the string lenghts for it. i know your not a novce at all but it could still be useful and it shows 2 or 3 starting knots and tie off knots. i think it is around $40. i got a 2nd hand one for 20 and it's all i will ever need. (after all that you probably already have one )
    Isn't that for tennis racket? If so, then the information such as string length and patterns are pretty useless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you have a scanner? patterns aren't need, as far as rackets I've come across. (babo's, new-yy, regular-yy, sotx, carlton)
    just teh tie-off would be great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    do you have a scanner? patterns aren't need, as far as rackets I've come across. (babo's, new-yy, regular-yy, sotx, carlton)
    just teh tie-off would be great
    i will scan them in and then PM to you. shall i scan in the starting knots as well whilst i'm at it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i will scan them in and then PM to you. shall i scan in the starting knots as well whilst i'm at it?
    that would be great! can't wait to get a 1st class knotting lesson!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are some good pictures of knots already on the internet.
    there are links to them somewhere in the forum
    I'll have a look when I get some time (unless you can find them yourself)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    Isn't that for tennis racket? If so, then the information such as string length and patterns are pretty useless.
    The USRSA stringing guide actually includes patterns for squash, racquetball and badminton racquets as well. And the other books in the set contain very good general stringing information as well as business practices, if you happen to string for a living. So, no sarcasm is necessary.

HTH.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart
    Thanks for the link, there are a few interesting tie knots there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone try the Parnell knot? I haven't been very successful in using it to tie-off badminton strings. Works very well for tennis strings; but, when I try to use it for badminton, the knot tightens before it takes up practically any slack (of the untensioned piece) at all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quasimodo
    Can someone try the Parnell knot? I haven't been very successful in using it to tie-off badminton strings. Works very well for tennis strings; but, when I try to use it for badminton, the knot tightens before it takes up practically any slack (of the untensioned piece) at all.
    Same here. I don't think it works well with Badminton. It's great if you want to just tie a knot but if you try to pull to minimize slack, it tightens too early.

So far, the best knot I have found is...

...I guess I have to take a picture...be back in a few...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The double half-hitch?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quasimodo
    The double half-hitch?
    No, it's a modified DHH. Hard to explain, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast