How/Why did Ra Kyung Min start playing doubles?

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by ye333, Apr 17, 2006.

1. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I have been wondering why Ra started to play doubles in the middle 90s. She was among the world's top singles and had won a few titles before that. Was she viewed as less promising than other Korean LS players?

2. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    So she could spend more time with KDM playing and training together? :D

3. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Playing... yes...

4. event

event Regular Member

Well, Bang Su-hyun was the top player when she won Olympic gold in '96 but she retired a year or two later. Kim Kyungnan was Korea's best around 2000 but I don't know when she came on the scene.

You're right. I didn't realize that but Ra was #4 in the world at the end of '94 according to the IBF site. She was the second of four Korean women in May '95. I don't know. Maybe she and Park Joo-bong were a scratch pair in mixed in '96 and the silver medal convinced her to stick with it. I have no idea.

Many of the Korean players play all the events when they're young and some when they're old in domestic events. Yim Bang-eun plays singles regularly. Lee Jae-jin played singles in the last domestic tournament and Lee Hyun-il played doubles in the Korean nationals last November. With the women it seems even more common.

When economet sees the thread, we'll likely get some more enlightening information.